Raw Turkey Necks

Guest lynne893

question-- we've had a couple of turkey necks in our freezer for a few years. i've wanted to give them to our girls, but i've always lost my nerve (fear of the big diarrea blow-out!).

is it ok to give them 3-4 year frozen necks? our freezer has never had a long period of being out of electricity or anything so it's not that they'd be rancid, they're just kinda old. but that's the point of a freezer, right?

this post has me inspired to take the plunge and feed them today!

Here's a question for those of you with multiple hounds. I've recently found a source of frozen turkey necks and would love to give one to Sid, but I know that given the opportunity, Jeffie would steal it and Sid would let him.

The problem is that Jeffie has hardly any teeth, and he has begun to resource guard. Not a problem usually, and we deal with it. He's not dangerous (remember the bit about 'hardly any teeth? :P) but I don't want to create conflict. When he's stolen a pig ear, I've let him keep it on the basis that he can really only try to gum it to death and he gives up, whereupon Sid steals it back. But with a turkey neck, it's possible that with his few molars he may be able to separate a bone, in which case he's almost certainly going to swallow it whole.

How dangerous would you say a whole vertebra of a turkey would be, if it were swallowed by an old dog, bearing in mind it has those long, spiny parts that it has?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest TirzhaZ

We've raw fed our dogs for a while (though we're owners of our first greyhound now!) Make sure the turkey necks are not enhanced, as enhancing solutions can cause diarrhea (or in the case of my guy, goopy eyes.) All meat should have less than 100mg of sodium per serving, otherwise they have been enhanced. Usually turkey necks aren't, but check to be sure!

Cairo gets his turkey necks frozen and loves them! We feed almost everything frozen, it's helps with cleaning his teeth more than just bone.

• 2 weeks later...

question-- we've had a couple of turkey necks in our freezer for a few years. i've wanted to give them to our girls, but i've always lost my nerve (fear of the big diarrea blow-out!).

is it ok to give them 3-4 year frozen necks? our freezer has never had a long period of being out of electricity or anything so it's not that they'd be rancid, they're just kinda old. but that's the point of a freezer, right?

this post has me inspired to take the plunge and feed them today!

I have this question too! Ours isn't quite so old...just from the Thanksgiving turkey this past November, but still it's been "ageing" a bit in the freezer.

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise

Dunno about that, but mine are just finishing off two turkey necks each for breakfast. These, and chicken carcasses, are the highlights of their week! They get them three or four times a week, their teeth are great, and they cause great excitement.

Here too. Payton knows when the beach towel comes out, he is getting a turkey neck. He loves them and his teeth are getting so much better.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roweboy

New owner here and I read about the benefits of turkey necks in the Greyhounds For Dummies book. Since all the grocery stores told me they were out of season, I finally found a butcher who sells them for $1.09/lb. I picked up a couple to try, nearly a pound each, and my 77 lb grey thinks he's in heaven when he gets one. I fed them frozen solid in the yard.

The same butcher also sells raw dog food which is whole chicken ground up and frozen. I thought this would be more disgusting than it is, but I bought 3, 1 lb packages. I let one thaw in the fridge then divided it into two. In the past week he's gotten 2 turkey necks and two dinners of raw chicken mixed with his grain-free Costco beef/sweet potato kibble . I ordered ten lbs of turkey necks figuring on one or two per week.

I also mix his breakfast kibble with pumpkin and salmon oil, and he gets a TBS of plain yogurt every other day. So far he has very little gas and solid poops. He could stand to gain a couple of pounds; he was racing until Dec 29th. He's young - he'll be 3 in May. His teeth look great, too, so I'm hoping this will keep them good.

Guest rathma

I would be absolutely thrilled if I could find turkey necks for $1.09/lb but here, the cheapest is $1.65 and with 6 hounds, it's just no doable!

When I did feed them, I think they were most likely the best loved meal by far! :ghplaybow