Rudy Is Suddenly Lame (Update Post #98)

Guest k9soul

He did run around today in some snow, so it's possible he pulled something, but I'm still frightened. I will run him in first thing tomorrow unless it seems to resolve overnight..

Edited by k9soul

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thoughts!! :goodluck There are a million NON-cancerous reasons for lameness. One of Aston's front feet presented with a ton of swelling overnight once and he couldn't bear any weight on it, and it was tendinitis. Resolved in a few days.

Rudy reminds me so much of my guy! :grouphug

Edited by o_rooly

I understand completely -- I've had to take Aston to the vet eight times since September 23rd, with lots of stop-ins to the vet on my own in-between, so now I want to throw up every time he even looks at me crosseyed -- but try, try not to cross any bridges before they exist.

Rudy looks quite alert and chipper :):beatheart and, there are MANY things that can get stepped on in snow, causing minor ouchies.

Edited by o_rooly

Thanks. I checked his foot pads which seem fine. I mean logically we had our first snow and he tore around in it some and likely he could have wrenched or strained something but I am just so paranoid and worried.

A month or two ago Callie suddenly couldn't put her foot down (much like Rudy in the video). When our vet checked her, she found a sensitivity in the muscles near her shoulder. Callie had been running and playing with our lab and simply pulled a muscle during all the activity. Some anti-inflammatory medication and restricting her activity did the trick in a couple of days.

I'm like you. When I see a limp I worry. Taking Rudy in for a checkup will give you peace of mind.

Keep us posted!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

How is Rudy this morning?? :goodluck

Last month, Paddy had an acute stopper injury and presented similar to your boy. Frightening, but he has healed pretty well.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hope Rudy is better this morning but try to breathe if he is not. As others have said, Greys seem to have a habit of scaring us with soft tissue injuries a lot. Good thoughts for your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks everyone. I just got back from the vet with Rudy. He seemed a little more willing to put weight on the leg today but was still limping. The vet did a careful exam of his entire leg and shoulder, and did something where he pulled the shoulder out towards him a few seconds and then let go to see how he walked, and Rudy did not show any increase in lameness or signs of specific pain anywhere. So the vet believes he strained/sprained muscle, and this really fits as he was crazily running around in wet snow just a few hours before I saw him limping.

He's on some Rimadyl and I will of course be watching him closely and if he fails to improve or shows any sign of worsening he will go back in for imaging.

Thanks guys. It's such a logical answer, and yet I just was so extremely anxious. I would fall asleep but then jerk awake thinking how something was wrong. I'm hopeless when it comes to anything wrong with my dogs. It really shakes me up. Feeling quite worn out today!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Did you go to the RAVE on Saturday? If so, did Rudy run in the Radar Run? I know I had a few hounds that appeared to pull a muscle (3 hounds yelped during their runs), just wondering if Rudy was one of them.

Chad

Did you go to the RAVE on Saturday? If so, did Rudy run in the Radar Run? I know I had a few hounds that appeared to pull a muscle (3 hounds yelped during their runs), just wondering if Rudy was one of them.

Chad

No, I really wanted to go but just could not this year :(. But Rudy did race around in new wet snow on Monday afternoon and I'm pretty sure he injured himself then.

Hopefully you both sleep a bit better tonight. Thanks for letting us know! Rudy :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It's scary when they limp. Glad he seems to be better today and I hope he continues to improve. :goodluck

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown