Curious: Puffing Air Through Cheeks

Guest k9soul

I'm not concerned about this, mostly curious. Rudy often puffs air through his cheeks so that they flap a bit, and sounds like a horse snorting a bit. He seems to do it when he is standing and being stroked, or at times outside when he is enjoying the breeze. He seems to often be relaxed with his eyes half closed when he does this. Is it a common greyhound thing? It seems to be associated with good things.

Edited by k9soul

Guest Scarter55

I don't think I've ever seen Lady do that, but she does blow bubbles in her cheek sometimes when she is sleeping. You'll see her cheek swell out a little bit and then "pop" when the seal between her lips breaks. On each breath. It's hilarious.

I LOVED seeing the puffing checks of my Angle Rascal. usually when he was really relaxed and just before going to sleep.. i miss him!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Maddie does this. I think it is cute.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Sarge does this all the time it seems.... this boy is DEFINITELY happy!!!! so I also think it's cute and irresistible... he has what my DBF call "oriental eyes" .... he squints his eyes and puffs his lips... that is one happy boy... he enjoys touch and attention, like no one else... :beatheart:beatheart

Taylor and Face do that when they are getting their Vitamin D in the back yard.

001_zpsc55997b3.jpg

I LOVE these boys!! I can't wait to meet 'em in a month :beatheart:beatheart :beatheart countdown to FL trip is on....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack sometimes does this when he's settling down for a cuddle/snooze. He'll also do it in a louder, more staccato way if he's annoyed about something (it's raining, the meaniehead humans won't let him eat their dinner, etc :P).

Jack sometimes does this when he's settling down for a cuddle/snooze. He'll also do it in a louder, more staccato way if he's annoyed about something (it's raining, the meaniehead humans won't let him eat their dinner, etc :P).

Sailor does this too. It's cute.

Sarge does this all the time it seems.... this boy is DEFINITELY happy!!!! so I also think it's cute and irresistible... he has what my DBF call "oriental eyes" .... he squints his eyes and puffs his lips... that is one happy boy... he enjoys touch and attention, like no one else... :beatheart:beatheart

I LOVE these boys!! I can't wait to meet 'em in a month :beatheart:beatheart :beatheart countdown to FL trip is on....

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :ghplaybow :ghplaybow

Brooke does it too... :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Pal did it, Seamie does it, so does Paddy :wub: It does sound like a horse, I love it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

yes, Barbie does it (she also chatters her teeth when she's happy now), and all of my three fosters so far have done it. Olive had the 'flappiest' cheeks so made the most noise. Hahah.

Guest Greysonsmom

Aw! My Greyson does this. I haven't seen Jazzy yet, but she's only been with us for about a week and a half. Both let out a heavy sigh as they settle in. I love it. It sounds like they have gone into total relaxation mode. Somehow, it makes me feel relaxed as well.

Yes, there IS a difference in the way it's done when they're comfortable and happy and when they're annoyed. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Minor correction: it's not a "Greyhound thing," it's a dog thing!

It's even cuter when an English Setter with big droopy flews does it (that's what the "lips" are called--flews)!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wondered if it was a more common greyhound behavior as none of my other dogs have done this so distinctively (or so often). It just sounds so very horse-like when Rudy does it :lol

Guest greybookends

Sheana does this. ONCE and only ONCE she actually blew bubbles. She was drooling and puffing at the same time and I looked up to see the biggest bubbles blowing out the side of her face. I tried to get a picture but the bubbles didn't show up. It was the funniest thing I ever saw.