Is He Overweight? Recent Pics Look Heavy?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

I just got back from Dewey with my crew and the few pics of Miami he looks a little heavy. When we adopted him, he was 75lbs. 2 weeks ago he was at the vet and weighed in at 70.8, which I thought was good he is tall and long....but now I just looked at his papers from the track and he weighed 67lbs when he was racing!

Admittedly, he doesn't get a lot of exercise. He is one lazy hound. Even when we take them to run, he just trots around...I try to take him for long walks, but he is easily spooked outside, so it can be challenging depending on his mood. He has been getting 1 1/2 cups of dry twice a day, with the occasional biscuit, egg, yogurt, etc...

I am paranoid about having heavy hounds...but when you look at them everyday, sometimes it is hard to tell...please let me know what you think...

1383662_486033744827634_437769153_n_zps2

IMAG3254_zps5381acb3.jpgIMAG3256_zpsce153ce2.jpgIMAG3255_zpsf516e457.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert, but I think he looks perfect!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

He looks fine. And what a handsome boy!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Miami seems like he could be a stockier greyhound. Does he have Kiowa in his line? I just got done petsitting for my friend's greyhound who has a shorter face, less tuck, and almost no ribs or spine. But that's just how the dogs in his line look.

Doesn't matter how he looks in pictures, but how he looks in person.

Is he healthy? Is he maintaining his weight easily - not gaining or losing? Is his digestive system working well - good eliminations, no gas, no vomiting? Is he eating well and eagerly at every meal? Are his coat and teeth in good condition? Is he getting adequate exercise for his age?

The answers to those would be what I would consider when evaluating his weight, in addition to the normal benchmarks - seeing two or three ribs, good tuck up, no "love handles" or other extra weight.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Miami seems like he could be a stockier greyhound. Does he have Kiowa in his line? I just got done petsitting for my friend's greyhound who has a shorter face, less tuck, and almost no ribs or spine. But that's just how the dogs in his line look.

Not to hijack the thread, but that's really interesting! Sweep (sire Kiowa Sweet Trey) has never looked "ribby" to me. She has fluctuated from 58 (racing weight) to 63 (too much peanut butter) and it doesn't seem to matter as far as ribs/spine go. At 60 lbs, her hip points are visible and her tuck looks good, so that's where I try to keep her. I guess it makes sense that, like humans, greys carry their weight differently; you just hear the "rib rule" so often that it can make you worry a bit when they're not very obvious.

Although I don't see Kiowa in his line, Miami seems to have a similar build, and thus looks healthy--and very handsome!--to me.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest DeniseL

No, he is a Lonsome Cry pup. I was just checking out some of his littermates on Greyhound Data and there a pics of 2 of them. They look nothing like Miami, but their ribcage looks sort of the same. Not much rib definition, so maybe its just a stockier build like you say...

Oh, and thank you, everyone. I think he is pretty dreamy myself :beatheart:beatheart

Guest Clawsandpaws

Another lonesome cry pup here. Also long and lean.He may just be starting to lose all that athletic definition, Miami may just be "softer" looking. I personally prefer slimmer hounds, and try to keep my boy trim. It's so hard to judge proper weight from photos.

AC53285E-A2C7-4D70-9064-AA23FFE36659-951

7176AE63-CC3F-46BC-87A5-3E3326C0657F-672

I'd say that all the dogs in the pics provided look pretty similar. None of them are overly ribby (although it's hard to tell on Dudley because of his brindle patches). Is that what you're wondering, Denise? If you should be able to see more ribs, spine, and hips? Some dogs are, some aren't. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as he's not gaining at a rapid pace, and he seems healthy otherwise. Henry is a Great Son dog with a Gable Dodge grandfather. He looks ribby all the time.

2uysrph.jpg

Rudy is another Lonesome Cry boy. He seems to have his father's build too from photos I've seen. His body is not as long as some, he's more compact and not as highly tucked. (He's standing at a slight downhill grade here)

1235330_704409196240744_163751813_n.jpg

He's 66 pounds and racing weight was 65.

Dad for comparison!

Greyhound_Lonesome_Cry-big.jpg

Edited by k9soul

Guest DeniseL

I'd say that all the dogs in the pics provided look pretty similar. None of them are overly ribby (although it's hard to tell on Dudley because of his brindle patches). Is that what you're wondering, Denise? If you should be able to see more ribs, spine, and hips? Some dogs are, some aren't. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as he's not gaining at a rapid pace, and he seems healthy otherwise. Henry is a Great Son dog with a Gable Dodge grandfather. He looks ribby all the time.

Yes, I can't see any ribs really or spine and he has 2 big love handles :hehe He is not gaining weight, though and is otherwise healthy....I think he is just losing definition and those rock hard muscles...

This reminds me.... everyone's labs I see lately look so fat!

Must be all the hounds I'm around now ;)

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

This reminds me.... everyone's labs I see lately look so fat!

Must be all the hounds I'm around now ;)

:nod I have also experienced this phenomenon. All "normal" dogs look fat to me now! :lol

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

:nod I have also experienced this phenomenon. All "normal" dogs look fat to me now! :lol

YES! It's bad :lol

:hehe I know what you mean, most dogs seem bulky looking to me now compared to Rudy. I just had to explain last night to a lady while we were on a walk that Rudy has a good weight and is not too skinny.

I find it weird a lot of people say to us, "what type of dog is that?"

To me it seems obvious.

I don't even like TOUCHING other people's non-grey dogs any more. Especially the fat labs, LOL. I feel like I'm in some weird Harry Potter or Alice in Wonderland movie and my hands are sinking... sinking... sinking...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance