Is He Overweight? Recent Pics Look Heavy?

Guest DeniseL

Miami seems like he could be a stockier greyhound. Does he have Kiowa in his line? I just got done petsitting for my friend's greyhound who has a shorter face, less tuck, and almost no ribs or spine. But that's just how the dogs in his line look.

sorry for the off topic are Kiowa's stocky My Dino (Mani Mongone) is well extra large and he is a son of Kiowa Sweet Trey. Dino raced at ~80lbs and he is well much softer now and it happened fast, but he is stable now

Dino and Stella

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greysonsmom

Not to hijack the thread, but that's really interesting! Sweep (sire Kiowa Sweet Trey) has never looked "ribby" to me. She has fluctuated from 58 (racing weight) to 63 (too much peanut butter) and it doesn't seem to matter as far as ribs/spine go. At 60 lbs, her hip points are visible and her tuck looks good, so that's where I try to keep her. I guess it makes sense that, like humans, greys carry their weight differently; you just hear the "rib rule" so often that it can make you worry a bit when they're not very obvious.

Although I don't see Kiowa in his line, Miami seems to have a similar build, and thus looks healthy--and very handsome!--to me.

I'm going to have to hijack this thread. Very interesting. You just described my Jasmine of the same sire. I guess not too small a world when you consider Kiowa Sweet Trey has almost 15,000 offspring. :hehe

Guest BiggiesOwner

Batmom can probably comment more on lineages, but every Kiowa dog I've seen has the same short face, stocky build look.

Very interesting to hear that! We've gotten so many comments on how Biggie doesn't have the "greyhound face" and some people think he is a Great Dane puppy. His sire was Kiowa Cruzechamp - I'm guessing there aren't multiple Kiowa lines? Cool to know his stubby nose is a "family" trait!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to hijack this thread. Very interesting. You just described my Jasmine of the same sire. I guess not too small a world when you consider Kiowa Sweet Trey has almost 15,000 offspring. :hehe

Including my Dino who raced at 82lbs and is now a not so skinny ~90lbs

Dino and Stella