Greyhounds Around Men

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Hi! Yet another question about Big Ernie.

He's doing great and seems to be adjusting pretty well.

My question is about his attitude around men. He's getting used to my husband but isn't jazzed over the moon when he comes in (he does wag his tail once or twice and has even managed to get up from his bed once to greet) but he doesn't follow him. We've been sharing feeding responsibilities and he's been taking him out as well.

We had a dog walker over yesterday to meet Ernie for when he's ready and Ernie ignored him. He even got up from his bed and moved to our spare bedroom where another bed was waiting for him.

Are retired racers initially wary of men? He had a great woman take care of him at his rescue place and he is more interested in meeting women on the street.

Does this normally fade?

I'm sure he's still settling in and adjusting to his new life. Believe it or not, my hound seems to get really excited around male strangers and just so-so around female strangers. :dunno I'd imagine it may have something to do with who trained, handled and spent time with them during their career that might play a role in a gender preference....if there is any? If only they could talk. ;)

Maybe he's a Ladies man :).

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't read too much into it. It is perfectly normal for a dog to prefer one sex over another and it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than its personal preference.

This has NOTHING to do with being a retired racer.

Every dog is different and has different preferences, just like people. My dog happens to prefer men. Too bad dog, you're stuck with me!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Wasserbuffel

Each dog is different, and will have their own preferences. track dogs are exposed to men and women both. My grey has no preference. She took longer to warm to DH, and love me better still, but I think that's more of a personal interaction thing than anything to do with gender.

Jayne isn't particularly fond of kids, but every guest in our house gets an excited greeting no matter their size. Once the greeting is over, however, she'll be lukewarm over some people, but violently affectionate over her favorites. Kids she'll ignore as long as they stay out of her space.

Guest k9soul

Rudy loves both men and women, but gets more waggy and excited when a woman speaks to him in baby talk voice. Otherwise though, who ever will stand there and pet him the longest gets him velcro'd to their side :lol

Our Opie really seemed to prefer men over women. He never met a man he didn't like, but sometimes would growl at women, even just seeing them walking across the street. Toley, on the other hand, seems to love everyone equally, and loves to meet everyone, even children.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Our Max likes everyone and loves meeting new people but he is definitely a Momma's boy, my Bridge girl loved my husband, slept w/him on the couch, my new girl Flower is more hesitant of anyone new initially, but she is really nervous around men until they earn her trust. My husband won her over quickly in our fenced yard by sitting down near her and giving belly rubs and snacks, she layed down for him! In her previous home, the husband was not fond of her and it is obvious in her reaction to men.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Dancer

My boys are Mommas boys - through and through. They are thrilled when my husband gets home...but they associate my husbands arrival with their dinner time. They will cozy up with men ( anyone really) but typically it means they anticipate food, a walk or a play session.

Guest Scouts_mom

My timid Henry was very scared of men when I got him. It has gotten much better and he now has men-friends, but he is still nervous around strange men. I assume it goes back to not having any male caregivers when he raced or at his farm. We did meet his trainer (a woman) a few years ago and he went crazy with joy!

Guest Amis_Ma

My girl loves men, she has 2 moms and whenever guy friends or family visit she gets so excited! Sometimes she will even be more affectionate to strange men more than us <_<

Guest DeniseL

Honestly, my Miami wasn't very happy to see me or my dh for the first 8 months or so...now he wags his tail and such and cuddles and is a happy hound, but it took him a while to adjust and warm up to either of us...

Bu's trainer was a male in his 30's. Bu loves men in that age range. He loves everyone actually, but especially men in that age range.

Sailor doesn't like anyone but me unless they're feeding him. And even then he doesn't want them touching him.

I think it partly depends on the voices and what they're used to, not in the sense of whether they have been abused or not, but simply what they are used to hearing. We all know how long it can take a newly adopted greyhound to adapt to ordinary things like traffic, stairs, vacuum cleaners and so on.

My DH has a very 'growly' voice when he's talking to dogs and some are initially wary of him, but by no means all - Jeffie chose him over me when we first met him! He went running up to him and play-bowed, which apparently was not something he normally did to anyone. Since then he's transferred his allegiance to me, but still loves DH too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Wink loves everyone equally. Birdie has always been called my "man slut". Our Catahoula is on the shy side and generally prefers women. It's not a greyhound thing, it's just a dog thing.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest laura150

Thanks for the responses! He's definitely warming up to my husband and is coming out of his shell. He still prefers me a million times over but he goes over to him to look for pets. I think he also appreciates the little licks of cream cheese he gets from him :)

• 1 month later...

Our dogs seem to like everyone.

When we chill out at home, sidney tends to flop near me, or lay his head on my lap

and June flops near Monica.

taking them out is a non issue for both of us.