Reminder -- Please Check Your Males' Sheaths Regularly!

Took Aston to the vet yesterday for what I thought was a semi-paranoid off-schedule checkup. He had peed indoors twice in the last week (VERY abnormal), but had also been drinking tons of water during our current heat wave. He'd been a bit more lethargic lately -- slower to get up to go on walks, and get up to greet us in the morning, but it's also HOT out, and he's getting older. Eating a bit slower, but we're feeding him a bit more to try to get him to gain some weight, so maybe he's getting full? All things I thought were really pretty easily explained away, but something was nagging at me. He's also recently been put on a few medications to treat his LS, so I wanted to make sure that bloodwork would be run if needed to check his organ function.

Vet listened to my concerns and asked me if Aston had any sheath discharge, and I said no -- it's never looked inflamed or had any noticeable discharge, as long as Aston's been in my home. Aston hasn't been particularly interested in his sheath, either, except for a lick or two after a walk. Vet proceeded to clean his sheath. I can't believe what came out of the poor guy. A TON of green/brown/yellow paste so thick that it looked like curing oil paint!! and he nearly buckled in the process of cleaning. :weep

Vet sent a urine sample out to their lab for culture, waiting for results. In the meantime, Aston's on Baytril and I'm applying Neosporin to the inside of his sheath tonight. The poor, poor guy. It never occurred to me to check his sheath for issues. :( It's the second time I've gotten the look of "How did you let it get this bad?!" -- the other time was an ear infection where his inner ear was severely swollen when they examined him, but Aston had only displayed head-shaking for a max of three days. So, now I inspect and smell ears regularly along with feeling up body and legs, and I'm adding sheath-checks to my routine.

In the meantime, I'm hoping my poor buddy perks up soon :(

Aw, poor bug, hope he is better soonest!

Don't beat yourself up. One of those things that can happen over time ... or it can happen @ overnight. You noticed something wasn't right and took him in for a look -- can't get any better than that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't feel bad. Some dogs are just so stoic they don't give a hint that something is wrong until it's really bad. My heart did that, a raging UTI with no symptoms what so ever! It wasn't found until she started running a high fever and it was really bad by then. Not one accident in the house, no licking, not a clue. Sometimes I wish these dogs could talk!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FawnFan

First, I'm sorry that Aston had such a painful experience at the Vet and that he is now battling this infection. Wishing him a very speedy recovery.

Next, I'm afraid to ask this question... one, because I have a male and have never done this exam and two, I don't really want to know what's involved (lol). How do you check his sheath?

Guest OPointyDog

First, I'm sorry that Aston had such a painful experience at the Vet and that he is now battling this infection. Wishing him a very speedy recovery.

Next, I'm afraid to ask this question... one, because I have a male and have never done this exam and two, I don't really want to know what's involved (lol). How do you check his sheath?

I was about to ask the same thing! Mika is our first male dog. Seems like he's always licking something down there. Although he has to get his anal glands expressed occasionally when he won't stop at the base of his tail, I haven't noticed anything else amiss. Not sure I'd have a clue what to look for.

We flush Fuzzy's sheath at least once a week, to make sure all discharge is cleaned out. You might want to ask your vet to show you how to do this. Until we started doing this, he would get an infection every 6-8 months. It takes just five minutes to flush and we are done.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest RMarie

I was about to ask the same thing! Mika is our first male dog. Seems like he's always licking something down there. Although he has to get his anal glands expressed occasionally when he won't stop at the base of his tail, I haven't noticed anything else amiss. Not sure I'd have a clue what to look for.

Ditto!!!

Usually you'll see excess discharge (a small amount of cream-colored or pale yellow discharge is normal) or dog licking a LOT. Then you can slide the sheath back gently to see if there's irritation, lots of discharge that isn't draining, etc.

I've had boys who had this problem -- sometimes after illness or surgery, when they hadn't been cleaning themselves properly for a few days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RMarie

... when they hadn't been cleaning themselves properly for a few days.

Haha, sorry...I know this wasn't meant to be funny, but it made me laugh! I'm trying to imagine an improper way of cleaning themselves. :rofl

There's a SONG????! I have had to clean a gelding as well but had nooooooooooooo idea there was a song. And no way Jose am I googling that.

:rofl

Hear ya go Jey. http://barnmice.com/forum/topics/1773158:Topic:25545 Relax, it's only the lyrics, no music.

Editing to add music with horsey visuals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tJ_DYeM_Y

At moments like this I'm glad I don't own a horse. Did they do this years ago in the Old West?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you, Ducky.

If the NSA ever seizes my computer and goes through my internet history, they're going to get an eyeful.

And earful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hope Houndtime doesn't mind me posting this -- I found a description of Fuzzy's routine (8th post down):
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/293328-another-boy-parts-question/

I managed to forget to ask the vet for a demonstration, so I was going to very carefully, with-gloves-to-avoid-nail-gouges, inspect my very tolerant greyhound.... we'll see how it goes.

And now I have the sheath-cleaning song stuck in my head.

Off to boil chicken for Dog's dinner while singing aloud, because I'm home alone and I CAN! though I'd probably do it if hubby were home, anyway. Sharing is caring.

There's a SONG????! I have had to clean a gelding as well but had nooooooooooooo idea there was a song. And no way Jose am I googling that.

I've cleaned many a gelding's sheath and never had a clue there was a song! How did I miss this this? :lol

In all seriousness, I've never cleaned any of my male dogs. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

We have had 60+ years of almost exclusively male dogs, and I assure you, this is not a "normal" run of the mill thing.

I'm glad your vet figured it out, but as a matter of course, dogs are not running around with mounds of pus and goo in their sheaths.

Some? Sure. What you discribe sounds like a pretty good infection and I hope your boy is feeling much better ASAP.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hear ya go Jey. http://barnmice.com/forum/topics/1773158:Topic:25545 Relax, it's only the lyrics, no music.

Editing to add music with horsey visuals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tJ_DYeM_Y

At moments like this I'm glad I don't own a horse. Did they do this years ago in the Old West?

I checked Ben's sheath. Funny how he's doesn't like me brushing his teeth or cleaning his ears, but checking his sheath is ok :dunno

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

but checking his sheath is ok :dunno

This factor nearly caused a heart attack in my (young male) vet, when Batman had a nasty sheath infection. He went to check on Batman, and the two (young female) techs working on him expressed consternation that Batman was just lying there wagging his tai ...... Vet could barely stand up, he was laughing so hard.

Guest FawnFan

Thanks for the explanation, Houndtime's (Irene's) description of how to do it and the song lyrics! I'm all set now. :)

OP - how's Aston today? Is he starting to feel better? I hope he heals quickly.

Edited by FawnFan

Thanks for the explanation, Houndtime's (Irene's) description of how to do it and the song lyrics! I'm all set now. :)

OP - how's Aston today? Is he starting to feel better? I hope he heals quickly.

Aston is definitely perkier tonight. All wags and up-ears when I came home from work, ALL OVER ME to get to his dinner, and licked his bowl clean. :wub:

Checked his inner sheath last night for the first time -- RED. Traces of blood on my neosporin-coated swab :( . Waiting for him to roll off of his tummy so I can check him tonight, but I think he KNOWS :lol

I've noticed Kasey's area is more red than normal overall, but no discharge or licking (as in, not the nice pale pink the whole area should look like). Now what?

I'm guessing just keep an eye on it, maybe that's the baseline? :huh