Reminder -- Please Check Your Males' Sheaths Regularly!

Guest blueberri

Erm, when you say to insert the syringe into "the opening", are we talking the urethra, or kinda doggy equivalent of foreskin? Is it best to have the dog standing, lying...? Is warmed tap water ok, or does it need to be saline? :dunno

Not the urethra! Between the sheath (outer hair-covered skin) and the penis. Tap water would be OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I tried to check Thunders and Lucky's last night. The look I got! I guess I wasn't looking right.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

It's the doggy equivalent of foreskin. You don't want to be squirting stuff into his bladder, because you could actually cause an infection there if you push any gunk up with the water!

Just gently push the syringe end just inside the sheath - you don't have to go poking around, and it must not go into the urethra. Tepid, previously boiled water with a tiny amount of salt dissolved in it (less than one percent) is what I used when this happened to Jim, and I would do it standing out on the grass. I caught most of the gunk (and boy, was there GUNK!) in a plastic tub, but if it missed it didn't matter. :)

Our vet had never seen anything like it, either. It must be rare. :dunno Jim had the same symptoms: off-colour, peeing a lot (including indoors), drinking a lot ... just not seeming right. Vet reluctantly took a look and was .. surprised, to say the least! Antibiotics and sheath washing did the trick very quickly. I did try to wash him out every month or so after that, just to avoid future problems.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Well, Aston had been perking up over the past few days, and his inner sheath looks pale pink and clear tonight. However, I came home to a sizable puddle of pee, and he didn't automatically finish his dinner :( . For the last two days, he had been eating with gusto and licking his bowl clean, as normal, and there hadn't been any indoor pees since the vet visit. Husband says that he also caught Aston zoned out and draining the water bowl twice this morning. On his fourth day of Baytril, should there be a recurrence of symptoms? I called the vet's office, and will take a first-catch pee sample in tomorrow AM on the way to work. I made an extra trip to the vet on Saturday after taking Aston in to deliver a pee sample then, but they managed not to send it to the lab for culture like they said they did. :bugeye

Poor boy. I clean the horses' sheaths routinely....but have never cleaned the hounds!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Without going back to read the original post, I can't remember if he's on anything else but Baytril, but if he's on steroids that'll make them drink and drink and drink. Antibiotics can too, if they upset their stomachs. Good idea to take in a urine sample, just to be sure.

Let us know how he gets on!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Without going back to read the original post, I can't remember if he's on anything else but Baytril, but if he's on steroids that'll make them drink and drink and drink. Antibiotics can too, if they upset their stomachs. Good idea to take in a urine sample, just to be sure.

Let us know how he gets on!

He's just on Baytril for this particular issue. He's been on gabapentin, methocarbamol and tramadol for about 6 weeks for LS, but the heavy drinking / peeing / lethargy didn't start until about two weeks ago. His appetite actually picked up again on Sunday/Monday (he started Baytril Saturday AM), but has slowed again since. He had also stopped drinking excess water for that day or two, but is back to zoning out over the water bowl. I mentioned a few posts up that I came home to pee last night, and I found another puddle tonight. I took a first-catch urine sample in to the vet's office this AM (after they failed to send Saturday's sample out to the lab as promised), and just called to check in -- they haven't sent this sample out yet, and they are in the middle of a staffing transition, so the front office is in chaos. I just keep calling to bug them..

It doesn't help that I don't see eye-to-eye with the vet who's on duty today. The other vet in the practice is the one who discovered Aston's sheath infection on Saturday. When I called the vet's office last night to express my concern over the return of Aston's symptoms, the vet just said that he's probably drinking more because the weather is hot (Aston was chugging water when he'd been in an air-conditioned condo for hours). I asked whether I should bring another urine sample in, to which the vet replied "Sure, why not?" :bs Just waiting for confirmation that they've actually sent the sample out....