Another Boy Parts Question

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Since it's always dark when we walk these days, this may have been going on for quite awhile. But last Saturday I took Mojo out for a potty break during the day and noticed that his pee came out in dual streams. So I'm guessing there is some gunk stuck in there. Once, a long time ago, the vet cleaned Aaron there but I wasn't there to watch. Is this something I can clean on my own, or do I have to take him to the vet? I would think it's like cleaning out a horse's sheath, but I only had mares, so didn't have to do that, and this is MUCH smaller. Since Mojo is a master roacher and he's so easy-going, I tried spreading the little hole open using a baby wipe, but didn't get anything out. I'm afraid of hurting him so I don't want to do too much. Any advice?

Sometimes I noticed a double stream with Fuzzy, too. He tends to mark several times on a walk and usually the next pee is ok. We do flush his sheath, at least once a week, as he has had a series of problems. It is not that difficult to do, if your dog lets you do it. Fuzzy is very kind to us. :>)

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Understand that the end of the eurethra is not a round hole but rather more of a slot that is narrower in the middle than at the edges. This allows a normal flow of liquid to twist and produce a compact stream - essential for good marking. It is not unusual for a light flow to fail to open the whole eurethra and instead produce two distinct streams from the wider edges of the opening. The only downside is that your boy may be able to pee on both his feet at once.

Edited by KickReturn

Thats pretty common around here and I don't do anything about it. It comes and goes. Unless theres pain, redness, swelling or discharge, I would leave it be.

I'd just edit to say *unusual* discharge.

The stream can hit the edge of the sheath opening, for example. Entirely normal, no pathology implied.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Sometimes I noticed a double stream with Fuzzy, too. He tends to mark several times on a walk and usually the next pee is ok. We do flush his sheath, at least once a week, as he has had a series of problems. It is not that difficult to do, if your dog lets you do it. Fuzzy is very kind to us. :>)

Can you explain how to flush the sheath?

The vet demonstrated for me, but, my best explanation is:

We use a 12cc syringe with warm water, insert into the opening and flush. I hold the opening closed while doing this, and sort of push the water around. You can actually hear it sloshing around in the sheath. When I release my hold most of the water comes out. We do this in the garage with a towel on the floor. I usually flush three times until the water comes out clear. Usually the first time the water is cloudy. If I wait too many days, a pasty sort of stuff comes out with the water. You also have to push the water out to get it all. This sounds gross, but, the whole thing takes 5 minutes and it keeps him off of antibiotics. It does take both of us to do this procedure. Len holds the front of Fuzzy and I take the rear. Naturally. :>)

I wonder that there isn't an on-line demo some place.

Edited by Houndtime

When we first got Dusty, his peeing looked like a shower head - many streams! He was a "leaner forwarder" not a leg lifter. He probably could have gotten all four of his feet at the same time. (He did manage to get one of the bichons once but obviously her own fault.). The vet cleaned him once and he never had the issue again.

Houndtime, you could make a video ;)

When we first got Dusty, his peeing looked like a shower head - many streams! He was a "leaner forwarder" not a leg lifter. He probably could have gotten all four of his feet at the same time. (He did manage to get one of the bichons once but obviously her own fault.). The vet cleaned him once and he never had the issue again.

Houndtime, you could make a video ;

A dog mom does what she's gotta do!

A little off topic but funny

Search for the sheath cleaning song on YouTube.

Or google words to sheath cleaning song

You want the words, not the demo

I just tried to find the video and couldn't find the old one with the words on the screen...sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Neighsayer

The vet demonstrated for me, but, my best explanation is:

We use a 12cc syringe with warm water, insert into the opening and flush. I hold the opening closed while doing this, and sort of push the water around. You can actually hear it sloshing around in the sheath. When I release my hold most of the water comes out. We do this in the garage with a towel on the floor. I usually flush three times until the water comes out clear. Usually the first time the water is cloudy. If I wait too many days, a pasty sort of stuff comes out with the water. You also have to push the water out to get it all. This sounds gross, but, the whole thing takes 5 minutes and it keeps him off of antibiotics. It does take both of us to do this procedure. Len holds the front of Fuzzy and I take the rear. Naturally. :>)

I wonder that there isn't an on-line demo some place.

We used to have to do that with Jim. We first found out that his sheath needed cleaning when he started peeing more indoors (he did it anyway, through anxiety - he was an animal shelter grey and probably had a grim previous existence judging by his numerous issues). Took him to the vet and he told me what to do.

First time I flushed his sheath we I got some totally disgusting stuff out - looked a lot like kettle scale, only a kind of cheesy texture. It had clearly been building up in there some time and was making him uncomfortable. We had to do it a few times.

I thought he'd really hate it, and got DH to hold him while I did the first flush, but no. Nobody had to hold Jim for his sheath flushes. He LOVED it! He'd follow me out to the garden with the syringe and tub of warm saline and just wait. :lol :lol :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop