So I Bought Some Green Tripe....y'all...wow....

Guest chickenpotpie

Can someone explain to me WHY this stuff is so good for them ?

It has a perfect 1:1 ratio of phosphorus to calcium which is what dogs need (so it won't through the balance off by adding it in). It also contains EFA's and linoleic/linolenic acids in the correct proportions and is great for the coat. A lot of people use it as a natural digestive enzyme supplement as it contains probiotics/enzymes from the cow's gut ( like lactobacillus a.). Of course, the probiotics/enzymes are destroyed with heat so you don't get those in the canned tripe.

Best of all, it stinks like cow poop so even sick dogs that are off their food will almost always want to eat it! :P

I remember when I used to think it smelled 'bad'. After feeding it for years I honestly don't even notice it anymore. In fact sometimes I intentionally get a good close smell to see if it smells fresh and good- really! I even thaw it in my fridge in 5# bags- never notice it anymore. I guess I have become somewhat dog like over the years lol.

It's bad but I don't find it overwhelming as some do. The farts it produces, however.... :fart:puke

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

where do you get the fresh/frozen tripe? I've only found it in canned dog food form, and I feel like it's just as bad as kibble in that form... I stopped feeding kibble for a reason, and this canned tripe isn't very far from it in my mind...

I would like to try the fresh/frozen but where and how much does it cost? I'm not willing to pay $20/lb to get it shipped....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest blueberri

I agree that the canned tripe smells worse than the "fresh" as I usually buy both. I have read about how good it is though, so I keep buying it.

Really....who wouldn't want to eat this? (a shot from tonight's dinner) :P

c03cedef-0046-4b88-91cf-647067f06e29_zps

Smells like someone already did eat it!!!!

I had no problem with the smell until I microwaved a "puck" of it that was pre-processed. Immediately I was hit with the smell of fresh cow pats, which makes sense, but it also made me gag. Shocker really, never had an issue with fresh cow pats or farm smells, yet this stuff suddenly really jerks my gag reflex.

It is really hard to get hold of here, as butchers aren't allowed to sell it unless they are licenced for pet food, and to buy from the pet stores you can only get the pucks, or kinda extracted "worms" of it. The worms are great, they hardly smell in comparison with the pucks, and I don't feel I have to microwave them as they thaw so quickly.

Guest chickenpotpie

where do you get the fresh/frozen tripe? I've only found it in canned dog food form, and I feel like it's just as bad as kibble in that form... I stopped feeding kibble for a reason, and this canned tripe isn't very far from it in my mind...

I would like to try the fresh/frozen but where and how much does it cost? I'm not willing to pay $20/lb to get it shipped....

You can see if there's someone local to you that can get it. I found a place in Cambridge, MA that does BARF diet for dogs/cats so thats where I got it.

Guest greytbookert

The first thing I thought was "by all thats holy, this smells like sh&t!" The 2nd thought was ain't no way I'm giving her this inside of my house.

I love my dog but this is my line in the sand.....

Where did you get it!? I haven't been able to get any in a long time. our hounds love it... I've learned to not breathe through my nose when feeding :)

I see you got in Cambridge... a bit too far for me.. shoot

Edited by greytbookert

Where did you get it!? I haven't been able to get any in a long time. our hounds love it... I've learned to not breathe through my nose when feeding :)

Here's a list of dealers that carry Blue Ridge Beef products. They have raw green tripe in 2lb and 5lb chubs. You might see if there are any near you. If you don't see anyone nearby I would try contacting the company and asking them. I know for instance the place I've gotten their products from isn't listed.

Edited to add the link

http://www.blueridgebeef.com/distributors-raw-pet-food.html

Edited by 4My2Greys

Also, this site (PawfectlyRaw) also sells tripe and has several drop of points in MA (scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the delivery spots). No idea if any are close to you, but you could take a look (they have lots of other goodies too!).

http://www.frogpondbordeauxs.com/PawfectlyRaw.html

Guest greytbookert

It has a perfect 1:1 ratio of phosphorus to calcium which is what dogs need (so it won't through the balance off by adding it in). It also contains EFA's and linoleic/linolenic acids in the correct proportions and is great for the coat. A lot of people use it as a natural digestive enzyme supplement as it contains probiotics/enzymes from the cow's gut ( like lactobacillus a.). Of course, the probiotics/enzymes are destroyed with heat so you don't get those in the canned tripe.

Best of all, it stinks like cow poop so even sick dogs that are off their food will almost always want to eat it! :P

Yup! My raw food supplier hasn't been able to get it for awhile due to FDA regs, so I've been without. Now that I know it is still out there... houndies are in for a great treat!

YEARS ago, when Booker would go off his food, green tripe was the only thing that could get him to eat. Great stuff!

Guest greytbookert

Also, this site (PawfectlyRaw) also sells tripe and has several drop of points in MA (scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the delivery spots). No idea if any are close to you, but you could take a look (they have lots of other goodies too!).

http://www.frogpondbordeauxs.com/PawfectlyRaw.html

Thanks for the link! They do a drop in the next town over! WOO HOO!

Guest Celestrina

I see from your list you haven't fed kidney yet. I thought I would literally get sick when I bought some for mine and had to cut it up. It has a smell even worse than tripe. I can't believe people actually eat it.

DM worked for a doctor whose office was attached to his house. He loved kidney and she could always tell when his wife was making it because their house smelled like pee. Fortunately it didn't end up where the patients could smell it.

• 7 months later...
Guest cll8857

Hello Everyone.. Okay.. so I don't have a greyhound but I have a yellow lab who I feed raw. I have been trying without any success to buy raw greentripe and

cannot find it anywhere. Can somewhere please tell me or point me in the right direction. I have googled just about every site and if I order it from out of state

I live in Massachusetts it cost more then the food!! I take my dogs nutrition very seriously and after reading and doing the research on green tripe I think this

is a great thing to feed.. I live in central mass so anywhere around that area would be fine to travel to. Help!!

Hello Everyone.. Okay.. so I don't have a greyhound but I have a yellow lab who I feed raw. I have been trying without any success to buy raw greentripe and

cannot find it anywhere. Can somewhere please tell me or point me in the right direction. I have googled just about every site and if I order it from out of state

I live in Massachusetts it cost more then the food!! I take my dogs nutrition very seriously and after reading and doing the research on green tripe I think this

is a great thing to feed.. I live in central mass so anywhere around that area would be fine to travel to. Help!!

Look a couple posts above. Someone referenced a company called Perfectly Raw which drops off at several points in the state you are in.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest FreeholdHound

Houndie Crack!! I've ordered mine in 1lb tubes ground online from Hare Today. I also have local distributor (so I don't have to join a co op) he sells it in 10lb boxes of individual 8oz patties - very convenient. When I get raw tripe strips & have to divide it up I stand by an open window lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chickenpotpie

You can try Mayflower Poultry in Cambridge. What they don't have they can order. You could consider making a very large order to them so you don't have to go in that often, and their prices are excellent. Turkey Necks are either 33 for whole necks or 39 for cut ones (this is a 30lb box) This week I've started Lucky on chicken feet (which she really REALLY loves....)

Also Especially for Pets has frozen green tripe in 2 and 5lb logs (which isn't as BAD but it still stinks) Green tripe is still off the menu because there's no way I can tolerate it in the house in the winter!

However, you may be able to call a butcher close to you to see if they can get it in.

Check out www.raiseapaw4raw.com. There's a raw food co-op in Orlando that gets a monthly whistlestop delivery of their products. Maybe they have a truck going north.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead