So I Bought Some Green Tripe....y'all...wow....

Guest chickenpotpie

Guest chickenpotpie

The first thing I thought was "by all thats holy, this smells like sh&t!" The 2nd thought was ain't no way I'm giving her this inside of my house.

I love my dog but this is my line in the sand.....

Guest chickenpotpie

You won't smell it much after she eats it.

naw.....naw...

you can't tell me that and get me to believe it. the scent escaped the bag, wafted through the air, made a fist and punched me right in the nose!

I only get the canned.

I did make the mistake of sticking my nose in close and giving a good sniff.

I figured that if the dog in question barfed it up on the carpet, I'd have to sell the house.

Still, it wasn't the green tripe but rather the jack mackerel that made grammy threaten to change the locks next time I left for work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

naw.....naw...

you can't tell me that and get me to believe it. the scent escaped the bag, wafted through the air, made a fist and punched me right in the nose!

It's true! I actually feed it almost completely frozen, much less smelly that way, but either way, the smell really does go away once they're done.

But yes, feeding tripe, especially raw, to your dogs is certainly one of the greater acts of love we can do. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest chickenpotpie

I seem to vaguely remember someone on here microwaving tripe for their grey to entice it to eat. Could you imagine that smell. Now that is true devotion. I couldn't imagine putting anything else in that microwave ever again.

the dog would have a microwave to herself if I had to do that... :hehe

I was gonna feed her some this morning but I can't even face it. looks like breakfast on the patio this morning. :chow

I feed it to the dogs outside. My oldest doesn't have the stamina most days to stand at his bowl and eat. He prefers to be hand-fed in bed. Yup, I have to HANDLE that stuff! But, it is really good for them and I have actually gotten used to the smell. I do wash most of the skin off my hands though after that meal!

It is gross. The colder it is, the less it smells. Reminds me of an over-full outhouse in full sun in July. Gag.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Yeah, you do get used to it somewhat.

I usually get mine individually wrapped in 1 lb chunks. My meat guy cuts it then packages it that way. Skye only gets a 1/2 lb at a meal so he just cuts a 1 lb pkg in half and leaves the wrapper on so it's still mostly sealed. So I just have to cut open the package and dump it into a bowl.

Not so this time. I guess he hired someone to help prepare orders sometimes and he doesn't always know what to do so I got a bunch of plastic bags that had chunks in it and I couldn't tell whether some were Skye's stuck together and others were 1 lb each or what because I hadn't defrosted it so I ended up having to defrost it as well as I could in a bowl of warm water while I walked the dogs, then cut through it myself with a knife. :puke

Worth noting though that while it's really tough and nearly impossible to cut through defrosted, it's much easier to get through it while still partially frozen. And yes, I SCRUBBED my hands multiple times with scented soap after that. The smell does kidn of stay on your skin for a bit otherwise. Labor of love.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Fascinating! Green tripe doesn't smell particularly bad to me, I remember reading about how awful it smelled, but when I thawed out their first chub of it it was a surprise that it wasn't too bad at all. Some of their treat smell a lot worse - Zuke's salmon mini salmon makes me want to hurl every time I open the bag.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The absolute worst smelling thing (dog thing)? Those duck & pea sensitive diet (or whatever the exact name is) Pill Pockets! They smelled so bad I threw them out, and considering what Pill Pockets cost, that was one powerful stink :)

The absolute worst smelling thing (dog thing)? Those duck & pea sensitive diet (or whatever the exact name is) Pill Pockets! They smelled so bad I threw them out, and considering what Pill Pockets cost, that was one powerful stink :)

YES!!! When I read the above comment, I immediately thought of these. We got them for the cat. I gave them back to Dave because I couldn't take it so he could use them for his foster. He threw them out.

I agree that the canned tripe smells worse than the "fresh" as I usually buy both. I have read about how good it is though, so I keep buying it.

Really....who wouldn't want to eat this? (a shot from tonight's dinner) :P

c03cedef-0046-4b88-91cf-647067f06e29_zps

I agree that the canned tripe smells worse than the "fresh" as I usually buy both. I have read about how good it is though, so I keep buying it.

Really....who wouldn't want to eat this? (a shot from tonight's dinner) :P

c03cedef-0046-4b88-91cf-647067f06e29_zps

looks like something from the zombie wars :rofl

Guest chickenpotpie

Maybe I have a particularly sensitive nose but not only is it poopy smelling, its got a metallic/acidic smell to it. :repuke (I do collect perfumes so maybe thats why I can smell this!) But then again, this is all apart of chickenpotpie's greyhound diet; feed them stuff that would gross you out and YOU lose weight

Anyway this morning it was a no go. She's not particularly picky and does a partial raw diet, but she was NOT eating it. and I'm NOT putting that stuff in my microwave, so I fed one of the neighborhood cats instead :hehe She got her regular kibble which she ate! As much as I can't stand looking at trachea, liver, or cow tounge, the smell is at least tolerable.

As much as I can't stand looking at trachea, liver, or cow tounge, the smell is at least tolerable.

I see from your list you haven't fed kidney yet. I thought I would literally get sick when I bought some for mine and had to cut it up. It has a smell even worse than tripe. I can't believe people actually eat it.

I ensure that it is the last thing I spoon into their dish and it immediately gets put down for consuming. Don't inhale during this 30 second period and the kitchen patio door stays open. :)

It really is good for them, but I elect to feed just regular tripe these days instead.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Maybe it's the kind I order, but the tripe mix I feed often smells like fields back home. Sometimes it actually smells good, not eating good, but fairly pleasant. Now liver on the other hand :puke :puke :puke

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest chickenpotpie

I see from your list you haven't fed kidney yet. I thought I would literally get sick when I bought some for mine and had to cut it up. It has a smell even worse than tripe. I can't believe people actually eat it.

uh uh, kidney is not on the menu. I never could stand the smell of the stuff, though my dad loved kidney pie (ew)

Guest Waterdog66

Good thing you don't have to make menudo when the relatives come over. (You would need to actually wash the tripe to make the menudo)