Missing Gabe (July 13, 2001 - March 7, 2012)

vjgrey

I felt like the world's most incompetent greyhound owner the day I brought Gabe home. I could not get him into my car. Literally could not convince him to climb in. He was about 85 pounds at the time, and I was about 100 pounds, so lifting him in was clearly not going to happen. I'd come to pick him up in a Mini Convertible I'd bought while we were stationed in England, and he wanted nothing to do with the tiny thing. As I stood with him in the track parking lot considering my options, someone from the office ran out to hand me the free bag of kibble I'd forgotten to pick up. I was humiliated and worried he'd repossess my dog right there, but I asked him if he could help me get Gabe into the car. He lifted him in, but Gabe was still not pleased and spent the entire drive home panting and trying to climb all 85 pounds of himself into my lap. I thought he hated car rides until I traded my Mini for an SUV. It turned out they were one of his All Time Favorite Things - he'd just really hated that car.

DH was deployed, and I was on summer break from law school with nothing but time, so for those first few weeks, it was just me and Gabe. I thought he needed to get up early to stick with his kennel routine, so we went on lots of 5:30am walks. It didn't take me too long to realize he was conning me - he'd sleep in as long as I wanted to. But I wouldn't trade those precious sunrise walks with him for anything in the whole wide world.

I feel the same way about all those early morning car rides we took together his last four months, after he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. We ran all over town for vet appointments and oncology appointments and radiology - sometimes three or four visits a week. Funnily enough, we drove to all of those appointments in DH's (non-convertible) Mini, because it was much lower and easier for me to help him in and out. That car he didn't mind, though - it was slightly bigger, and he could see out the window to people watch. While I hated the reason for all those early morning drives, I also felt really content just to spend them with him. It felt right that it was just me and Gabe - the way it had been at the start, five years before.

We had to let him go a year ago today, and I miss my sweet boy terribly.

Gabe1.jpg

Puppies.jpg

GabeBed-1.jpg

GCoat_zps460101bd.jpg

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

He was incredibly handsome.

Hugs to you as you remember your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

First anniversaries are hard. Hugs to you today. He was such a handsome boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Valerie, you and Gabe were so blessed to have each other, and he couldn't have had better parents. I knew Gabe when he was with his former owner (who made the heart breaking decision to return him), and loved him then. He was such a handsome guy. I'm so sorry he had to leave you so soon.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Valerie, you and Gabe were so blessed to have each other, and he couldn't have had better parents. I knew Gabe when he was with his former owner (who made the heart breaking decision to return him), and loved him then. He was such a handsome guy. I'm so sorry he had to leave you so soon.

I know it was heartbreaking for her to return him, but what an incredible gift that turned out to be for us. We really were blessed to have each other.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Thanks for allowing us to remember him with you. He was a gorgeous and well-loved boy. Holding you two gently in my thoughts today.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Valerie, these anniversaries are hardest and yet they also make us realize how special our pups are and how lucky we are that we did get the time we did with them. It's never long enough no matter when they leave.

Gabe is a stunning pup and was very special.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

sending many many hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I thought of this quote tonight, and it made me smile:

I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car and into another - John Lennon

I thought of this quote tonight, and it made me smile:

I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car and into another - John Lennon

How very poignant.......anniversaries are always bitter-sweet

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

• 2 weeks later...

Gabe was so handsome! Sending hugs to you. I know very well how it feels to grieve every day.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

:grouphug :grouphug :cry1

Gabe was one of those dogs you look at, and felt yourself drawing in your breath sharply -- not just the first time but every time -- because he was just so jaw-droppingly beautiful. :wow:beatheart

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hugs to you today as you remember your beautiful boy. Anniversaries are hard. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown