Hi There... From Rome, Italy (Faraway, So Close!)

Guest MercuryFalling

Guest MercuryFalling

Greetings from "The Eternal City" ^_^
I bumped into Greytalk while looking for owner experiences with retired racing Greyhounds, thank you so much for sharing all these useful info in your website about health, life, food etc which I'm going to avidly read.

I desired to have a dog since I was a little girl but for many reasons my dream couldn't came true.
Maybe year 2013 will be the right time!
Since a Grey is not a toy, would like to understand very well if my husband and I, our home, lifestyle etc could match his needs... to take the best decision.

Today there are no dog races in Italy (except for illegal ones) so rescued Grey racers and Galgo hunters arrive in my country from Ireland/England and Spain thanks to a couple of no profit orgs. Really I had no idea about what was happening there (and in the US, if I understood correctly) but fortunately many people like me are discovering this shame thanks to the media expose.
Thanks to everyone, ciao

Merc

Welcome!! You will find a wealth of information here!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Ciao, Merc! Benvenuto! A me piace molto l'Italia. I assume you are a native Italian, but your English is excellent!

I have heard about the organisations which bring retired racing dogs to Italy - and also about the horrors in Spain. It makes me never want to go to Spain - ever! I hate what happens there.

The question 'will a greyhound suit my lifestyle' has been asked many times. You do a search of the forums, and you will find several discussions which will help you to decide. Click here for a recent discussion.

In my signature is a link to Brambleberry Greyhounds, an adoption group in the UK. If you go to this site, there is a 'before you adopt' button in the menu at the top. Click here, to go straight to it. There is some information there which might help you, and I know Sharon is willing to fly a hound to his or her new home if you can't find one through an Italian group!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Welcome! Your post if wonderful, there are several people in the US who work with Galgo rescue organizations in Spain so your letter will delight them! So good to know the word is getting out in Europe.

Greyhounds are very adaptable dogs. They do very well in apartments and townhouses.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Here's a link to greyhound life in the US starting at birth http://adopt-a-greyhound.org/misc/on_the_farm/the_formative_months.shtml

and here's some more info about their life at Southland, a track in the US http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazzleme/sets/72157627145032411/

Here's a recent greyhounds vs galgos thread http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/295059-greyhounds-vs-galgos/

there's also a video (maybe on youtube) about greyhounds arriving in Italy...if you watch it make sure you have some tissues handy though.

Welcome from Canada

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:wave Welcome to GT! Lots to learn here.

there's also a video (maybe on youtube) about greyhounds arriving in Italy...if you watch it make sure you have some tissues handy though.

Here's one of several on youtube if you've not seen them. There are some with galgos as well.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest undergreysspell

Hello and welcome - you will get lots of information here on GT and I look forward to hearing about your hound when you finally get him (or her)!!

Hi Merc,

Welcome to GT, you will find a lot of information here about how to care for a greyhound.
You will also find out that there is a world of a difference between Europe and the US.

Have you already located a group in Italy that you want to work with?
I don't speak Italian, but this group: http://www.soslevrieri.it seems to be working with both the greyhounds and lurchers coming from Ireland and the UK and the galgos from Spain.
Looks like there is a lot of info on all the breeds, so it may be good start.

Wishing you a lot of fun finding your first hound.

Looks like a good site, with some great information! I like the fact that the care and health section is very comprehensive and includes normal blood values and information on anaesthesia, which might be very important in a country where the veterinarians do not have much experience of working with greyhounds/galgos.

It is a tad anti-racing though, and from a quick glance through, does tend to stress the bad - for instance that their life is full of loneliness, spending hours in their crates. I'd just like to say that not all trainers in England are cruel or unfeeling - in fact, in my experience, the majority LOVE their dogs - and here the dogs are kennelled in pairs and sleep together in their beds, so they do have companionship.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest grey_dreams

Welcome! Here is another group in Italy: Adozioni Levrier

As you will find from this site, galgos and greyhounds are very adaptable! I hope you will find all the information you need, and a group you can work with, and will soon open your heart and home to a beautiful hound :)

Guest MercuryFalling

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome and for sharing so many interesting links, there's a whole world behind a rescued Grey!

And all the photos in your signatures are so cute!!! :beatheart

Ciao, Merc! Benvenuto! A me piace molto l'Italia. I assume you are a native Italian, but your English is excellent!

The question 'will a greyhound suit my lifestyle' has been asked many times. You do a search of the forums, and you will find several discussions which will help you to decide. Click here for a recent discussion.

Hi Silverfish,
your italian sounds not bad at all ;) I'm 100% italian, just use english extensively for my job. But believe me, I miss much "animal oriented" vocabulary so I have plenty of words to learn!
Very kind of you passing me those links, were just the subjects we're thinking about ... like hundreds of potential future owners, I think :)

Hi Merc,

Welcome to GT, you will find a lot of information here about how to care for a greyhound.
You will also find out that there is a world of a difference between Europe and the US.

Have you already located a group in Italy that you want to work with?

Hi galgomum,
very good question!
Not yet... at the moment, I find out 3 italian associations involved in finding a new home for ex-racers.
http://www.adozionilevrieri.it (GACI, Greyhound Adopt Center Italy)
http://www.levrieri.net/ (EGN, European Greyhound Network)
(maybe nice to know: Levriero -pron. lehvrihehroh- is how we call a Greyhound)
Never mind, I know these websites are in italian!!
Of course I think they are all reputable ones; are there "general suggestion" for picking up one?
Currently, my job keeps me in Milan the most of the week so two of them are pretty close. Noticed that some Greys are arriving in Milan for their adopting families this Saturday, got in touch with SOS Levrieri and so this weekend will join them just to have the opportunity to meet this enchanting breed. And shake paws, let's say :)

:wave Hi and welcome from Maryland USA! Best of luck to you in your search for your greyhound. Please come to GT often, you will find lots of fun people and interesting information here!

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

:wave from Ontario, Canada

Good luck in your search for the perfect hound!!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

http://www.adozionilevrieri.it (GACI, Greyhound Adopt Center Italy)
http://www.levrieri.net/ (EGN, European Greyhound Network)
(maybe nice to know: Levriero -pron. lehvrihehroh- is how we call a Greyhound)
Never mind, I know these websites are in italian!!
Of course I think they are all reputable ones; are there "general suggestion" for picking up one?
Currently, my job keeps me in Milan the most of the week so two of them are pretty close. Noticed that some Greys are arriving in Milan for their adopting families this Saturday, got in touch with SOS Levrieri and so this weekend will join them just to have the opportunity to meet this enchanting breed. And shake paws, let's say :)

Sounds like a great opportunity to go meet some hounds and ask questions.

Can't give you any info on what group to go with.

My suggestion would be, talk to them and see where you feel at home.

Are the upcoming dogs galgos from Spain or greyhounds from Ireland?

• 5 months later...
Guest MercuryFalling

Hi everyone! long time no grey-talk... :whiteflag well, many things happened along the way and here are some updates!

Fist of all I got in touch with the 3 adoption groups in my country and after contacting all of them felt that the oldest one, with 10 years experience in rehoming ex-racer dogs, was the one for us to trust.
It is GACI of Modena, adozionilevrieri.it
I discussed my expectations & doubts with a very kind volunteer, who became my tutor in the adoption process, and filed the formal request at the beginning of March - hopping to welcome a dog by September. After that, I actively participated in a couple of "Greyhound walks" that the adoption group usually promotes in different towns in order to make more people know about ex-racers in need of a home.

In the meantime, I definitely settled in Rome from Milan and at that point received the visit of another volunteer for the home-check.
He came on a Sunday evening with his two lovely needlenose, and let them free on my terrace while we chatted in front of a glass of wine. It was lovely to get to know the two different personalities of those greys and having a taste of what it means sharing everyday life with a furry friend inside my house!

And finally, yesterday, I received a long waited phone call.
My tutor informed me that a two years old white & black boy is going to join us from Ireland in September.
We are over the moon and can't wait to meet him! :heart :heart
Will try to curb my impatience by looking for everything he needs: leash, bed, toys, and so on.
So here's my new friend, and his italian name will be Virgilio : just like the ancient latin poet that -like me- from the North of Italy relocated to the wonderful Rome :yay :yay :yay

Oops sorry, I had to upload somewhere his picture first :blush