Osteo Thread Part Vi

How is Ben today?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben is still eating but his quality of life is negligible. He struggles to get up and you can tell he is uncomfortable. It breaks our hearts to see him try so hard but having his body not cooperate and shake while just trying to potty or poop. The look in his face has changed and it's like he is asking for help. He is putting on a brave face for us but it's not fair to keep him here when we know he is suffering. The tumor is like a giant grapefruit and his body twists to the right.

We are afraid if he gets out of kilter and we are not here, he would scream for hours. Also, going down steps to outside and then the yard slants down, sometimes he struggles to walk as the yard isn't flat. He will potty and just look at you panting until you call him to come in and he has to move.

We will see if he stabilizes tonight. Maybe it's just a bad couple of days although we feel his time is very near.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm sorry things haven't improved with Ben. :( Are you maxed out on all of his pain meds at this point? I obviously can't know this for certain, but if you have nowhere to go on pain meds my guess is that things aren't going to improve from where you are now. :( Sending lots of good thoughts your way for Ben that he does improve. :hope

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Ben is still eating but his quality of life is negligible. He struggles to get up and you can tell he is uncomfortable. It breaks our hearts to see him try so hard but having his body not cooperate and shake while just trying to potty or poop. The look in his face has changed and it's like he is asking for help. He is putting on a brave face for us but it's not fair to keep him here when we know he is suffering. The tumor is like a giant grapefruit and his body twists to the right.

We are afraid if he gets out of kilter and we are not here, he would scream for hours. Also, going down steps to outside and then the yard slants down, sometimes he struggles to walk as the yard isn't flat. He will potty and just look at you panting until you call him to come in and he has to move.

We will see if he stabilizes tonight. Maybe it's just a bad couple of days although we feel his time is very near.

I know I often sound like a broken record with this, but if you haven't tried radiation therapy and can afford it, you should consider it. There were multiple times when I thought we were losing the fight with Gabe only to have radiation buy us more good weeks or good months (I think about six weeks was the longest we went between treatments). For at least two of those visits, he had to be carried into the clinic, and both times he walked out on his own with little to no limp.

I understand that it doesn't work for every hound - I know it didn't work for FedEx. But if you're reaching the end of your options with the meds, it might be worth a try.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest tmgukcatfan

I'm so glad to hear that Twiggy is doing well. I'm getting ready for Mountain Hounds and I was thinking of her so I thought I'd check to see if there were updates...glad that earlier injury turned out to be unrelated to her osteo. Way to go, Twiggy!

Teresa

I never posted about Twiggy's 18-month anniversary a few weeks ago. She continues to do really well, and now that the weather is starting to get a little warmer we're going for a bit longer walks again. Her 18-month check up went well - still no lung mets, and her oncologist said that whatever they saw in her distal femur in early January couldn't have been an osteo lesion or she would be in serious pain (or probably gone) by now. He was so confident it is no longer anything to worry about that he didn't even want to re-do xrays! So, we continue to celebrate and take advantage of each day!

Ben has gone to The Bridge.

He wasn't a candidate for radiation because of where the tumor and organs are so that was not an option. Now that he has deteriorated so much and has trouble standing, a long car trip would be questionable. His breathing has been getting more labored which may be from the cancer in his lungs. If the panting was from pain, we could have added one more drug but we felt we would be doing it for us to keep him here, not for him.

Although he has been eating, going outside is more of a challenge every time he goes. His quality of life is poor and you can tell he was putting on a brave face.

So this afternoon, everybody had McDonald's quarter pounders and loved their treats. Ben was delighted.

The vet saw him two weeks ago and she was amazed at how big the tumor had gotten in such a short time and there was no muscle to speak of on the leg.

He went to The Bridge very peacefully late this afternoon. They had a little bit of a difficult time getting a vein due to all the vein use during chemo but did manage to get one.

The vet was so gentle and did a water flush and a drug and another flush and then the pink sleep. He never even flinched. It was so good to see him finally relax on the pile of blankets and the panting finally slowed and then stopped. He was at peace.

I handled it well and only shed a tear here and there which is extremely unusual for me. I guess my head and heart were in true agreement that this was absolutely the best and kindest act of love we could possibly do for him.

Run free sweet Ben. I'm sure our other Bridge kids met him and some GT buddies are showing him the best spots to chase squirrels and cats.

We will miss him and love him forever.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, gallant Ben.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Though we miss Pinky terribly, I am so thankful that her passing was as peaceful as Ben's sounds like it was.

Big hugs to you :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm so sorry. :( I'm glad at least that his passing was peaceful and that you are at peace with your decision. Even though I know it was the best thing for Ben, this makes me so sad. You guys fought a good fight. :grouphug

I'm so very sorry about Ben :cry1 I told Nube to watch for him. :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so sorry to hear about Ben, but having just gone through this with Opie in December, I understand. We did not want to put him through any more either. And for us took when the labored breathing finally stopped, it was a relief, Run Free Ben, there are so many greyhounds for you to play with now.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Run in Peace Sweet Ben.......... Far and fast and pain free forever now.................

:grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FawnFan

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I'm joining this thread. My sweet boy Gunner, who turns 9 on Sunday, was diagnosed Monday to have bone cancer in his right shoulder. I sent the x-rays off to OSU and they came back yesterday afternoon in agreement that the spot looks suspicious for bone cancer. Our local Vet believes we are in the very early stages. We've only done x-rays up to this point.

Given all of this, I'm just starting my information gathering adventure. Right now we're leaning towards keeping him comfortable and not doing the amp/radiation treatment - one, for costs and two, he hates the car and the vet.

I'll check back in again soon. I wanted to at least introduce myself and Gunner and to say thank you to everyone who shares and supports via this thread.

Thank you,

Jean

So sorry that Gunner is joining the group, Jean. :(

We went the palliative care route with Bee Wiseman. She was on a combination of Deramaxx, Tramadol, and Gabapentin to handle the extreme pain that osteo brings. Hoping you and Gunner have many more good days together.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am very sorry to read of Ben's passing. It makes me so sad when another of our beautiful hounds are taken by this disease. Both you and Ben fought hard.

Jean, I'm sorry to read of Gunner's diagnosis. If your vet is right and it is in the early stages, you do have a number of options to provide him some more happy months to come.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.