Osteo Thread Part Vi

Guest BaxtersMom

Opie is gone, passed peacefully today around 4:30 pm Pacific time. We went to the vet's office, as he loves it there. He perked up on the ride over, hanging his head out the window for his last ride,. He was surrounded by love - me, DH, my son, and a good friend of ours, all holding and petting him and telling him he was a good boy. Our heats are broken, the house has never felt so cold and empty, and there are signs of him everywhere - his toys, clothes, beds. I will post more in Rememberance in a few days when I am able to gather my thoughts. Right now I am just in an abyss of pain.

I am sooooo sorry to hear of Opie. My heart goes out to you and your family for your loss. <3

Scott and I are facing some very tough decisions about Baxter. He is currently on 150 mg of Rimadyl 1x per day, 300 mg of Tramadol 3x per day, and 800 mg of the Gabapentin 3x per day, and none of this seems to be easing his pain. He is still eating, although not as much as usual, but he has started the fast panting and now is wandering the house in circles. He doesn't sleep through the night. He is putting absolutely no weight on his front leg and his back legs are getting progresively weaker. There is no joy left in his life, and we are wondering what to do. Scott keeps telling me it's time to make a decision, but I don't feel he's ready to go yet...or maybe I don't want him to go yet, don't want that to be my decision. Any advice would be an immense help. Thank you all for being so kind.

Sharon

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BaxtersMom

I haven't been here for awhile, but could use some advice from those of you who have been through osteo before. Our boy Jake was diagnosed with osteo last September, he is 11. He has done exceptionally well (to the point where I was thinking it was just arthritis) until the past month or so. The past week I have noticed a real decline. He is on a decent dose of Rimadyl, Gabapentin and Tramadol. He gets up twice a day to go outside and immediately comes back in after he does his business. He will not get up to eat, but will eat if we put the bowl next to his bed, which of course we do. Otherwise he just seems a bit lethargic. He still enjoys his scritches and treats but I am struggling with whether or not it's time to say goodbye. He had a bad night last week where he panted for hours and seemed extremely stressed. When we had to say goodbye to our boy Woody to old age last July, the decision was easier, you could see in his eyes that he was ready. It's been harder with Jake. He was always a big, goofy 85lb greyhound that we had nicknamed "Kramer" because of the crazy way he would come sliding or bounding into the room. He is extremely sweet and trusting and used to be constantly at my feet. I don't want him to suffer any more than is humane.

So after that long winded post, my question is "How did you know when it was time?".

Hi there...how is Jake doing?

We're in the same boat with our Baxter. He is 11 and was diagnosed 2nd week of December 2012. Pain meds aren't really helping him, and we've been asking the same question...how do you know when it's time?

If the pain meds aren't controlling the pain, or if there is no joy left, it's time.

My heart goes out to anyone who has to think about such things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I saw a quotation today that might help. The mom decided it was time to let her girl go "when I found I was counting the good hours rather than the good days."

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FawnFan

I am sooooo sorry to hear of Opie. My heart goes out to you and your family for your loss. <3

Scott and I are facing some very tough decisions about Baxter. He is currently on 150 mg of Rimadyl 1x per day, 300 mg of Tramadol 3x per day, and 800 mg of the Gabapentin 3x per day, and none of this seems to be easing his pain. He is still eating, although not as much as usual, but he has started the fast panting and now is wandering the house in circles. He doesn't sleep through the night. He is putting absolutely no weight on his front leg and his back legs are getting progresively weaker. There is no joy left in his life, and we are wondering what to do. Scott keeps telling me it's time to make a decision, but I don't feel he's ready to go yet...or maybe I don't want him to go yet, don't want that to be my decision. Any advice would be an immense help. Thank you all for being so kind.

Sharon

Sharon - I agree with Batmom on this one. It sounds like Baxter is in a lot of pain with the fast panting and the wandering around the house. He also sounds like his quality of life, both his physical abilities as well as the lack of joy, would tell me it is time to give him the greatest gift of love and help him cross the bridge. Two pieces of advice I've received are this... one, select 3 things he used to do and enjoy all the time - when he doesn't do those 3 things anymore, then it is time. And two, don't wait for the emergency (i.e. a broken leg or a seizure or other medical emergency), help him to cross on a "good day" for him so it is peaceful and uneventful. Both of these suggestions came from two different Vets. If I were in your shoes, and I will be soon, I would be helping Baxter to cross as hard as that is to do.

Will keep you in my thoughts,

Jean

Guest FawnFan

BaxtersMom,

I was just in LinkedIn and saw this article. It provides some additional useful information to help you decide when it is time. Hope this helps... http://bit.ly/18baAZ3.

Again will keep you in my thoughts,

Jean

ETA: shortened the url

Edited by FawnFan

If the pain meds aren't controlling the pain, or if there is no joy left, it's time.

My heart goes out to anyone who has to think about such things.

Yes, yes. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Sharon

Am I reading those dosages correctly? As in, he is getting 800 mg 3x/day for a total of 2400 mg/day? Or did you mean the 800 mg is spread out over 3 doses each day? If the former, those are *really* high doses of medications.

Unfortunately what you're describing is a dog who is clearly in pain - panting, pacing, unable to settle or sleep, non weight bearing - probably a lot of it, with no room to increase medication dosages. He is not going to get better so at this point I think you need to consider why you're holding out. I'm really sorry you're faced with this. I know how painful it is. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest BaxtersMom

Baxter update...he hasn't eaten much in the last 2 days, and he is panting much more and whining....it just is breaking my heart to see him this way. I keep hoping the pain meds will help him feel a little better, but I know I'm only delaying the inevitable decision we must make, soon. I feel so lost.....

Aargh. Fritz tweaked his shoulder so he's limping for the first time since his diagnosis. It's raining here and it's pretty muddy outside <_<

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Baxter update...he hasn't eaten much in the last 2 days, and he is panting much more and whining....it just is breaking my heart to see him this way. I keep hoping the pain meds will help him feel a little better, but I know I'm only delaying the inevitable decision we must make, soon. I feel so lost.....

I am sorry you are having to make this decision. It is never easy. The only thing I try to think of when this decision is upon me is that it is the final gift we give to them, a peaceful and painless passing. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I apologize for not checking in for so long (work/getting ready for, going to, recovering from GIG, etc)

I am so sorry to hear how difficult a time Baxter is having. :grouphug

Kristin, how is Fritz doing? Too bad he tweaked his shoulder, I hope it is getting better - I guess it's good that he felt well enough to do something silly to injure himself, though.

Thinking of Buddy, Gunner, Tempo, Jimmy, and all the others who continue to battle.

Here's a photo from last weekend of my little warrior on the battlefield in Gettysburg:

Battlefield14.jpg

(lots more in my GIG thread in EEG, with still more to come).

Twiggy will hit her 21-month mark next week, and hopefully we'll make it to Mountain Hounds at the end of the month. I never imagined last year that she might be able to make this year's MH!

Needed to add: Snakes - how did UPS' x-rays turn out? I'm hoping no news is good news!

Also, I got to meet the beautiful Symbra in person at GIG! I was so excited to meet her, she looks great!

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest snakes

Twiggy looks GREAT! :)

UPS is doing well. we never ended up doing the additional xrays, after a week of rest and tramadol the limp improved which doesn't generally happen with the cancers, especialyl as it was a very bad limp.

We think it is probably more due to her corns. We have had one dose of a homeopathic remedy that seems to have helped a little bit, she is also now more or less used to walking with her two booties on the affected feet which help.

Guest FawnFan

That's a great picture of Twiggy! Thanks for sharing. She's beautiful. :)

And thanks for thinking of Gunner. I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks again and hope you have a great week!

-Jean

Fritz is still tight right behind his shoulder blade <_< He's on Robaxin now and I've been icing and massaging it. It's helping but progress is slow. The good news is other than carrying himself all goofy, he's completely normal - always my happy fun boy. He still wants to RUN so he's been remanded to the little yard, which he doesn't like very much. Until the yard dries up I don't want any further muscle pulls!

I think we'll probably be starting some pamidronate once I recover from my surgery (I'm having surgery Tuesday to correct a deviated septum and I'm off work for a week). Given what his x-rays looked like I think it's a good idea.

The silver lining (if you want to call it that) to all of this is that since the tumor is in the ulna, the leg still has the radius supporting it, and the radius looks GREAT on the rads, so...it's something. I know that sounds silly, but I think that is part of the reason that he has not been limping (except for the now angry shoulder muscle).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest yat420

Twiggy looks great! :)

Buddy is doing very well. He finished this course of radiation with no side efffects, and has had one pamidronate treatment. So far, he is like a different dog. He is barely limping and was feeling so good that he jumped 4 feet up onto the hot tub chasing a squirrel the other day (nearly gave me a heart attack!). :) I know it won't last, but we are really enjoying the good days right now. Thanks for thinking of him. I'll keeping praying for sweet Twiggy too.

sent Treasure to the bridge today. osteo :weep Although last' month's xrays were clear, i decided to take her to another vet for a second opinion. As the vet was showing me the tumour on her x-rays, she went into respirtory distress and was on oxygen. We decided to let her go. It was quick and peaceful.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry :grouphug How shocking :cry1

Hugs to you and Iker :grouphug

Robin, I am so very sorry. I was admiring Treasure in recent pics and cannot believe she is gone.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry this horrible disease has claimed yet another sweet baby. Sending many hugs to you, Robin. :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest yat420

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Treasure. :( I lost my Benny the same way, he died in the moments after recovery from his amputation. It's a horrible shocking way to lose them. I'm so sorry! :(

Robin, I am so sorry for your shocking and devastating loss of Treasure.

I really couldn't believe it at first - I had no clue anything was wrong when I met her at GIG.

Osteo has been unbelievably unkind to your and your hounds.

Again, I am just so sorry

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties