Osteo Thread Part Vi

While pretty much anything can affect blood sugar in a sensitive diabetic, and these are potential side effects, none of these drugs would be expected to affect blood sugar. I'm actually wondering if the issue with the Deramaxx is ingredients in the flavor tab, and not the NSAID itself. From what I can find, NSAIDs sometimes decrease blood sugar by increasing insulin release, but I wouldn't expect a significant effect in a diabetic since they aren't producing much insulin themselves anyway. You've got a lot to balance, and I'm glad you're able to check her BG at home to help you stay on top of things.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're starting to come up on the one year mark since Berkeley's passing, and it's causing me great anxiety. To say I have not dealt well with his death would be an understatement.

Sigh :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

:grouphug

I can't believe it has been that long already.

Having been through a lot of tough losses via being involved with my group, I completely understand having locked away some feelings. I've done the same with the losses of Sutra and Pinky too. I've cried my eyes out, but, important dates bring it all back.

Recently my friend Vickie (GreytGrandma) lost Hot Rod to osteo, and it was like my world shattered all over again. Those losses cut deep.

I'd love to say it'll get better in time. The one year mark is definitely very hard, but, the two year mark wasn't so easy on me either :cry1

For our sakes, I do hope it gets better. Hugs.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest 2dogs4cats
We're starting to come up on the one year mark since Berkeley's passing, and it's causing me great anxiety. To say I have not dealt well with his death would be an understatement.

I'm so sorry :(.

It's hard to realize it's been a year already...

:grouphug:sad1:grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I have been trying to figure out why I have not progressed much in terms of coping over the last year, and... it's guilt. I do regret going the amputation route.

I had an option where I could have prevented the pain Berkeley ultimately suffered during his last moments, and instead I picked the route that put him right into that suffering. Of course, I didn't know it would happen that way, but it is really hard to look back and not think that I put my heart dog through such a horrible last day. It has been extremely difficult to have that day replay in my mind.

I do feel strongly that it is a personal decision and each case is different, and obviously a lot of dogs have done really well with the amp route. But, for us, it did not work out as I had thought.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I have been trying to figure out why I have not progressed much in terms of coping over the last year, and... it's guilt. I do regret going the amputation route.

I had an option where I could have prevented the pain Berkeley ultimately suffered during his last moments, and instead I picked the route that put him right into that suffering.

I'm so sorry that you're having a hard time with this, and I'm not sure if anything anyone else says can help you come to terms with it. But have you considered that the same thing might have happened even if you hadn't gone the amp route? As you said yourself, there is no way you could have predicted the outcome, and what happened to Berkeley was extremely rare. I remember being horrified that you (and he) had to go through that. But the only sure way we have of preventing any further pain is to euthanize at the time of diagnosis. And very few people are ready to make the decision at that point, not to mention missing out on all the wonderful, quality time you can still have together, regardless of which treatment route you choose.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest 2dogs4cats

I had an option where I could have prevented the pain Berkeley ultimately suffered during his last moments, and instead I picked the route that put him right into that suffering. Of course, I didn't know it would happen that way, but it is really hard to look back and not think that I put my heart dog through such a horrible last day. It has been extremely difficult to have that day replay in my mind.

I do feel strongly that it is a personal decision and each case is different, and obviously a lot of dogs have done really well with the amp route. But, for us, it did not work out as I had thought.

Please don't be hard on yourself. It's such a difficult decision and no one has a crystal ball. I have tears in my eyes as I write this because I know what a hard decision it is no matter what the disease. We all do the best we can with what we know and what we feel. No one knows what the outcome will be, we can only hope.

One night seven years ago, my first dog, Oreo, broke her leg without warning. About 24 hours later, when she was in surgery to have a pin implanted in her leg, she threw a blood clot and died.

If I'd known how the surgery was going to come out, I could have had her put to sleep and not put her through the pain and fear of those last 24 hours. Or if I'd had her leg amputated (it probably was osteo, although it didn't show on x-rays), we might have dodged the embolism and she might have lived for months more.

But I did the same thing for Oreo that you did for Berkeley: I did the best thing I knew to do at the time.

Osteo sucks.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am truly sorry you are still feeling this way about Berk's passing. At the time you chose amputation, you thought it was the best thing for him and you. The cold facts are we do not know how and when our pups will pass and Osteo being such a cruel disease is not one to make an easy decision on. When the diagnosis is first given, it's like someone else has described it here on GT, "it's like a punch in the gut", it's shocking and devastating news. Now not only is one faced with the fact their pup will die sooner than expected, they also will have a lot of pain unless one chooses amputation. Even if you chose palliative care, you don't know Berk would not have been in pain regardless of pain meds as those only mask the pain and these pups tend not to show it until the pain is quite strong. So right after the dx, your mind is spinning with possible options, none of which are great so you choose the one that you hope makes the most sense for you and your pup. It's a hideous, evil disease and our choices are limited. I know you did what you thought was right for Berk and he knew that too. These pups do not blame us for our choices, they love us for our companionship and that is all they ask for whatever time they can be with us.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know you are all correct, in my head, I know this. The whole thing was (obviously) very traumatic, and I'm having trouble seeing past the emotional part of it.

I appreciate all the responses, and they do help.

{{{{{{{{{{BauersMom}}}}}}}}}}

There but for the grace of God go I.

I am one who tends to euthanize sooner rather than later, when there is the opportunity. There isn't, always.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

I am so sorry for your pain and guilt. I lost my heart dog last October. I have noticed that every month around that day I spend a few days in anxiety and grief. I didn't even notice it was happening until December. Believe that Berkeley does not blame you (they really don't blame us; animals understand death better than humans ever will). He would rather see you happy with the memories of the life you shared together.

Reading what you wrote about your regret, I immediately thought of the video of Berk playing with a toy at his bed, spinning around and around, and pausing to bark at your pup who was outside. He was joyful and happy, and YOU gave him the chance to have that moment.

It's all a crapshoot, but the danger of breakage is there unless you let them go at diagnosis. Heck, my friend didn't even KNOW her boy had it until his leg snapped while he was standing there being loved on.

While Berk's final day was not great, and the scene replays in your mind, remember that you gave him SO MANY other GOOD days, and hold on to that (easier said than done I know).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

:(:grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My sweet Daisy crossed the bridge yesterday. She is now running pain free, but we will miss her terribly.

fecaa279-0915-45b9-83e4-8dccdcc16753_zps

I am so very sorry! :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Run with the wind, Daisy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mary, I am so saddened to hear that you weren't able to have more time with your beautiful, wonderful Daisy. She was dealt a cruel blow first living with diabetes and then having to battle osteo also. My heart goes out to you in your loss. :grouphug

Emma, I'm so sorry Berk's loss is still taking such a toll on you.

Guilt is the curse of those who love, care and feel empathy, so of course you feel guilt. I hope that in time your memories of how well he did for nearly all of the time after his amputation will win out in your mind and heart. Remember how he played and was "naughty", I even remember you telling us about some [ahem] "frisky" moments!

Please go easy on yourself.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Mary, I am very sorry for your loss of Daisy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Today is Symbra's one year ampiversary.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).