Osteo Thread Part Vi

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a mixture of liver and chicken pieces, slightly cooked, then chopped in the blender, green tripe and the prescription food, and some softened kibble in milk down him. DH had to put it in his mouth, but he did swallow most of it.

I just looked at my last post, and the Tramadol is actually 2 50mg pills 3X.

It is just killing us to look at him - our strong vibrant boy, now so skinny, not wanting to walk on his outings (we leash walk - now its just around the yard), just sort of aimlessly walking around the house. He's so restless too. After the tramadol, he seems to nod out, but laying in certain positions seems to hurt him. Don't know if its the rib tumor, or others possibly internally. He has little lumps in lots of places we can feel.

The vet also thinks he might have a mass in or near his stomach -as she felt him, one side is harder, the other soft. At this point we don't want to put him through xrays, as he would have to be sedated. It won't change anything we are doing.

I am starting to question if it is time - but then he gets up and seems his alert self for a bit. He even took treats from the vet yesterday, something he never does. She too said his alert moments he looks like his old self.

Its so hard, hard to think about letting him go, to know when, hard to think this has all happened so fast - 1 month ago our boy was bouncing, jumping, eating, and we were just monitoring the lump on his rib.

We will try ensure today, and see if there is any rallying on his part as he gets more nutrition in him.

Thanks so much for all your prayers, suggestions, posts, general support.

And to all of you here that are going through this journey too, my heart goes out to you.

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I would go straight to 3x/day for the Gabapentin. Half life is short enough that it will be worn off long before you give the next dose if you space them 12 hours apart. I would also consider more than one pill per dose. You can always back down once his pain is under control.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, decided to do that since he still seems in pain - went to 3X a day, like the Tramadol. He just got doses of both now. Hopefully this will be better. DH just got some food down him too - Braunshweiger, sliced beef, and prescription food.

Thanks

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I posted this in its own thread. I thought it might be good to post it here also.

Unfortunately research has shown that Palladia does not reduce the likelihood of developing metastases in osteosarcoma. Because of this, the Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program no longer recommends a metronomic protocol that includes Palladia for this disease.

In addition, it has proven not effective at preventing the growth of existing lung metastases due to osteosarcoma.

Unfortunately, some early anecdotal success raised everyone's hopes. When OSU did a scientific study, the results of the fairly large study showed that Palladia did not prove helpful when dealing with osteosarcoma.

My sweet Joey was part of this study.

Opie has had a few bad nights, increased the meds of the gab - 200 mg 3X. It knocks him out, but he still wanders aimlessly and pants, and won't eat again. Last night spit up anything DH tried to give him. He has bruises on the insides of his thighs, we think he fell night before last, as heard these bangs, he was wandering at night. He continues to get weaker, and it is breaking our heats, but we think it may be time. We have a call in to the vet. We cant stand to see him like this, all the spark is gone. Please pray for us. I can't stop crying.

I'm so sorry. Give Opie lots of hugs and kisses from all of us.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Keeping Opie and his people in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry to hear this :-(

Keeping you all in my thoughts. :-(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

susan - tears are flowing for you here, too --- you know you're showing him the highest love you can show him, but it's the hardest thing -- you know you're all in my thoughts and prayers -- rivie girl, be there to show opie the ropes and share treats with him, ok???? hugs to you, susan

Tons of loving thoughts for you and Opie. I'm so sorry you're facing that decision.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so sorry about Opie. Our thoughts are with you and your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Opie is gone, passed peacefully today around 4:30 pm Pacific time. We went to the vet's office, as he loves it there. He perked up on the ride over, hanging his head out the window for his last ride,. He was surrounded by love - me, DH, my son, and a good friend of ours, all holding and petting him and telling him he was a good boy. Our heats are broken, the house has never felt so cold and empty, and there are signs of him everywhere - his toys, clothes, beds. I will post more in Rememberance in a few days when I am able to gather my thoughts. Right now I am just in an abyss of pain.

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am so very sorry for your loss of Opie. This disease takes away too many of our pups.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry you and Opie had to say goodbye.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.