Comfortable Room Temperature At Night?

Guest clodagh

Guest clodagh

I'm still trying to unravel the dilemma of Clodagh's (12 year old greyhound) "sleeping", awakening, panting, getting off the bed etc. at night. I'm thinking now that it's because the bedroom is too hot for her at night. What temperature is your room where your greyhound sleeps????

She goes to sleep very well when we go to bed. Then, about two hours later, she stands up on the bed, panting, looking at the bedroom door (which is closed over). Once off the bed she either sleeps on the couch, her blanket/bed, OR roams around the house for a while. (We've stopped letting her out when she does this cuz she doesn't need to pee - maybe she wants to get out to cool down?)

We usually keep the house at between 66-68 degrees.

What temp is your house? at what temp does your grey feel comfortable?

Thanks!!!

Guest jaws4evr

Ours doesn't seem to care about temperature... we keep the house at around 65 at night, and 70 in the day. Either way she doesn't seem bothered.

Could yours be having some "senior moments" in the middle of the night? Could explain the random roaming around too....

Guest lanielovesgreys

I can't keep the house that cold. Laika will pace and nest constantly. No panting though. We have to keep it above 70 to keep our houndies warm enough. If it does get below 70, we just put them both in jammies.

Not sure what the bedroom door being closed over means. Do you have it closed then let her out into the house when she pants? She may just not like the closed door...maybe a baby gate? I keep my house at 66 at night in the winter and Buddy is fine.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

She may not like being closed in the bedroom. Bootsy hates it and he used to do exactly that when we first got him. He would pace and wine and pant. Now he sleeps in the living room, where he is much more content. To answer your question, our upstairs is set at 68 at night and the main floor is set at 65.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

69 during the day, 67 at night. She is occasionally wearing jammies now but her lightest one only, made from jersey. The flannel will be next, probably in December, and she'll wear those most every night. Then January/February may or may not involve her fleece ones. They were really bought for camping and she doesn't normally need something that heavy for in the house.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Downtownhoundz

I must be lucky....I would need a stick of dynamite at night to rouse my boy ! I usually have the fan on low and it gets a little chilly in my room, but he's a sound sleeper!

I live in a house that is 220 years old, with no insulation in the walls, so no matter what the thermometer says, it always feels colder. I keep the thermostat at 66 or 68 during the day and put it down to 62 at night, even in the dead of winter. I prefer to sleep in a cold room, and if Annie B gets cold at night in my bedroom, she lets me know and I cover her with a blanket where she snuggles until morning.

Desi is a hot blooded booger. Winter, the house is 60 during the day while we're at work.....66 at night.

It's the electric bill in the summer that kills me, running the a/c 24-7 to keep him cool enough.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Anything below 70, and Timo needs pajamas.

:nod

And we keep our house very cool...67/68 daytime and down to 60 overnight.

Which is why they are in their little fleecy coats pretty much 24/7 from now until spring!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I have 1 that sleeps on our bed. My husband keeps the house cool at night, with winter coming, its been about 58 plus the ceiling fan on. The one on bed with us cuddles up to me (I always have all the blankets), plus she has her own she gets under. She can't handle heat at all though and is uncomfortable if its over 70. The other one sleeps on a bed on the floor and the last 2 nights (Its been in the 20's outside, so colder inside than normal), are the first time I've seen her act cold, curls into a ball and rooting under her bed. I put her jammies on last night and she was happy.

Greyt question! I have always struggled with this but finally realized it depended upon the hound. Some hounds have dense coats while others have thin coats (meaning my white hounds had denser coats than my black hounds).

I live in Michigan. I currently set the thermostat at 67. I prefer a cooler home but have had seniors for several years now and find that coats / jammies sometimes make them too hot - however, I cannot freeze them out ! (all of which is difficult to monitor when at work) so I compromised and opted for a slightly warmer temp and throw lightweight blankies on the pups at night.

Of course, the temperature setting and warmth of a house also depends upon the age of the house, windows, insulation, natural sunlight, etc. -- 67 degrees in one house may be really warm yet cool in another house.

My hounds sleep in dog beds. My clue that a pup is cold is when I hear them rustling, digging, nesting for awhile. That's when I throw a blanky on them (if I haven't already.). Warm enough, temp-comfortable doggies tend to sleep fairly quietly.

Just like us, pups do move and shift during the night ... you'll simply have to observe and tinker with the heat until you get the right combo! Good luck!!!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest clodagh

Thanks for all the input Everybody. I've come to the conclusion that Clodagh's night action is not due to temperature. Kept the bedroom cool (no heat on) last night and the same thing - in bed at 10pm; up and panting and staring at the door at 1:00am; stood at the end of the bed after a little house roam just waiting and waiting and waiting..I finally woke up and lifted her onto the bed again. She lasted about another hour or so and then, off again.......Are there any other clues to pain? She doesn't pant during the day (she smiles a lot, tho :) Maybe it's senior moments. One poster on another of my posts suggested that she may not realize day vs. night? Anything I can do?

Thanks a million!

You're right about temp in one house versus another. We life in the west of Ireland in an old farmhouse - thick walls.

Can you just leave your bedroom door open so she can come and go as she wants?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

70 freeking degrees??? In the house??? To heck with the dog, I need long johns!!

:lol :lol

I would suggest lightweight jams or moving to a warmer climate. ;) The jams might to easier. :gmark

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

When we went to bed last night it was 56 in my room. I put jammies on the pups and another blanket on the bed.

I turned on the heater to 62. We sleep in the attic and it's our first winter up there. I suspect it will get colder and colder :(

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

When we went to bed last night it was 56 in my room. I put jammies on the pups and another blanket on the bed.

I turned on the heater to 62. We sleep in the attic and it's our first winter up there. I suspect it will get colder and colder :(

sounds like my house- jammies when the wind is howling! and we keep it 62 during the day- 67 from 6-11pm and 56 at night. i stick the dogs in warm crates(lots of thick polar fleece blankets and costco beds in there)

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest OPointyDog

Our house is 120 years old with no insulation in the walls in upstate NY. We've always had it at 60 when we're awake and 52 at night, but in deference to our new greyhound, we've cranked it up to 64 when we're awake and 58 at night. I find she sleeps curled up rather than roaching now, but otherwise she seems OK.... Haven't tried jammies yet as she seems to be warm enough.

Does anyone feed their dog more in winter due to the cold?

Our house is 120 years old with no insulation in the walls in upstate NY. We've always had it at 60 when we're awake and 52 at night, but in deference to our new greyhound, we've cranked it up to 64 when we're awake and 58 at night. I find she sleeps curled up rather than roaching now, but otherwise she seems OK.... Haven't tried jammies yet as she seems to be warm enough.

Wow. You'd think one person in 120 years would have been smart enough to insulate the walls!

52? Inside?? I'm pretty hardy, but that's just too cold for inside!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Wow. Insulation would pay for itself in no time.

My heater is, once again, on the fritz while I am waiting for the HVAC guy it is 59 in here and that is wayyy to cold for me. I broke out the space heater.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg