Pinched Nerve At End Of Spine

Sam is 8 years old. He was adopted only a few months ago. We have had an x-ray and MRI. The diagnosis is a nerve that is squeezed in his hind end.that causing pain in his leg. He used to love walking, but now can't make it around the block. At first he would limp, now he won't put his leg down and hops. We are giving him pain meds, but they don't seem to be working now. Surgery is an option, but from what I have read that is very risky. Even my own orthopedic surgeon recommended against it. I have had many tell me that their dogs died after the surgery. I am at a loss. I don't want to hurt Sam, but I worry about his quality of life. The vet says it is at the very end of his back, and not as risky as if it was in the spine. I don't believe in Chiropractic care, (never had it for me) But that was one suggestion. I don't see how that would help but lots of people swear by it. ANY IDEAS or SUGGESTIONS would be appreciated.

Please reconsider chiropractric treatments for Sam. They have helped me personally and have also helped our old Labrador with hind end problems and our tripod Greyhound. It is the first thing I would try.

Good luck with Sam.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Welcome to GT--sorry you and Sam are struggling. Gabapentine can help with nerve related pain--it's at least something to ask your vet about.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I don't mean to sound blunt, but you may not believe in chiro care for you, but its the dog who is in pain and

chiro care may only be the lasting treatment. My Lou gets chiro treatment for a pinched nerve and it works.

I do have steroid on hand at first onset of symptoms, that does help with immediate pain. Then off to chiro

for treatment. Hope your pupper finds relief.

It it is some kind of degenerative stenosis then you must try anything that can get resulting inflammation down. Whether it be Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Steroids or just getting the weight stress off by swimming exercizes then it's going to give your dog an opportuinty to hold back the progress of the condition.

You can even do electro-acupuncture yourself with a TENS pen, but while a human can easily tell themselves where the 'hot' area is, a dog cannot, so if you ask a practitioner there won't be so much trial and error.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acusell-Piezo-Electronic-Acupuncture-Acu-Pen-Acupoint-Massager-Relief-Portable-/110967353593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d62b70f9

When I have had a chiropractor working on me it usually feels better for about a day afterwards and that is long enough to help the muscles and everything start to relax and stop making the condition worse.After a few weekly sessions the problem is no longer a problem.

Biology doesn't really mind whether you beleive in it or not.

Acupuncture and/or chiropractic. they work

:nod Both my dogs and I have benefitted greatly from acupuncture and chiropractic.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thank You for you replies.

I am certainly not going to rule out anything that makes Sam feel better

Does anyone know Dog Chiropractors, or acupuncturists? We live about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

The pills that Sam is taking are:

Tramadol 50MG

Carprofen 75 MG

Gabapentin 300 MG

My greyhound has something similar, but I haven't gotten an MRI on him yet because I also feel that surgery is too risky & invasive. Right now we are trying chiropractic & acupuncture. As soon as they started last time, he fell asleep. I'm willing to try if there's a chance it could help & it's obv not hurting him in any way so I don't see a negative other than $. There must be tons of options for great practitioners in LA.

Unfortunately my vet is not really on board with pain meds. We tried a low dose of gabapentin with no noticeable results. I think I'm going to have to push her on that. Have you noticed a big difference since starting the meds?

Certified veterinary chiropractors list: http://www.avcadocto...nitedstates.htm It would be good if you find one who is also certified in veterinary acupuncture. Here's the certified acupuncturist list: http://www.aava.org/...aava-directory/

We have been treating our lumbosacral stenosis dog in this manner for four years, with great success. He's almost 12 now and has just recently (since he also developed problems in three disks) started on gabapentin and tramadol. Good luck!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I had never believed in chiropractic care either - for me or for dogs. Well, about a year ago Survey started having episodes where she would lose the use of her legs on her left side and had pain when raising her head when she had been laying down. The vet prescribed prednisone and it worked only until the dosage was reduced.

A friend (who is a vet) recommended chiropractic care from a Chiropractic Doctor who is certified for animal care. Quite simply - it works!

Survey has been symptom and pain free since July and her back continues to improve with every adjustment. At the beginning she was seen at 2 or 3 week intervals and now we have increased the time between adjustments to 5-6 weeks.

There are many greyhounds with LS who are helped by this treatment. I wish I had known that 3 years ago when my boy Alpo was diagnosed with LS.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Definitely do chiropractic and acupuncture. I'd start with acupuncture to reduce the inflammation first before doing chiropractic adjustments.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We waited about six months before giving acupuncture a shot - for the same reasons you've mentioned and that was six months too long. We have a new dog thanks to (now) monthly treatments. Good luck - give it a try.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

The pills that Sam is taking are:

Tramadol 50MG

Carprofen 75 MG

Gabapentin 300 MG

That combo of meds should go a long way to helping Sam feel more comfortable. And I also would encourage you to seek out & try a good chiro &/or acupuncture practitioner. Am not in your are so cannot recommend anyone. Also, supplements of varying types, especially MSM, Vit C, devil's claw & even B-complex, can help alleviate some of the pain possibly allowing you to reduce the dosage of the other meds. Do some research & choose carefully but do give it consideration.

Ours is a DVM, and I'm very comfortable with that. She switched from traditional veterinary medicine, which she is still licensed to practice, to rehab vet work involving Chinese strategies and meds (herbs). She does both chiropractic and acupuncture, and I find that important. As someone else pointed out, I think, acupuncture can relieve pain and prepare the dog to receive the chiropractic adjustment with greater ease.

We haven't run into any vets who are exclusively DC's, so... :dunno

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Ours is a DVM, and I'm very comfortable with that. She switched from traditional veterinary medicine, which she is still licensed to practice, to rehab vet work involving Chinese strategies and meds (herbs). She does both chiropractic and acupuncture, and I find that important. As someone else pointed out, I think, acupuncture can relieve pain and prepare the dog to receive the chiropractic adjustment with greater ease.

We haven't run into any vets who are exclusively DC's, so... :dunno

No acupuncturists listed for California at all. I've narrowed it down to two now. One is a DC (30 miles away) and One is a DVM. (45 miles away)

I found this doc, though I don't know if he's convenient to you. He has the certification, as I read it, just not the "advanced" certification. (I just checked on it because I couldn't believe there wasn't a single certified vet acupuncturist in the entire state of CA! As it is, it's totally odd that there's only one! I'll see if there's a different certifying body also and report back if there is.)

Kevin May, DVM

El Cajon Valley Veterinary Hospital

560 N Johnson Ave

El Cajon, CA 92020

(619) 444-9491 (Work Ph)

I found this doc, though I don't know if he's convenient to you. He has the certification, as I read it, just not the "advanced" certification. (I just checked on it because I couldn't believe there wasn't a single certified vet acupuncturist in the entire state of CA! As it is, it's totally odd that there's only one! I'll see if there's a different certifying body also and report back if there is.)

Kevin May, DVM

El Cajon Valley Veterinary Hospital

560 N Johnson Ave

El Cajon, CA 92020

(619) 444-9491 (Work Ph)

Thank you but El Cajon is closer to San DIego than Los Angeles. That would be about 200 miles from here. I am willing to try anything, and if we can't get the relief from Chiropractors. I would consider the trip but it is a little far for a maybe..

My dog has LS, and he takes a lot less medication that your guy is getting, and they make a world of difference.

It's hard to believe in a HUGE city like LA there isn't a doggy chiropractor, what with all those Hollywood types willing to do ANYTHING for their purse pooches!

Good luck with Sam.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Try this site -- there are a ton of acupuncture vets in CA

http://search.tcvm.c...asp?qtype=state

certified chiropractors:

http://www.avcadoctors.com/certified_member_doctors/unitedstates.htm

and this site

http://ahvma.org/Widgets/FindVet.html

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits