Mammary Tumor

My greyhound Cocoa, who will be 11 in October, was diagnosed with a mammary tumor today. (I just noticed the growth on Saturday.) I have no familiarity with this type of tumor. Our regular vet is not in this week, so I had to see someone I did not know. He said that the growth, which is 2.5 cm, could be equally benign as malignant. He also said that this type of tumor does not aspirate well. His recommendation were to get an x-ray to see if there is anything in her lungs. If there is nothing in her lungs, then remove the entire growth and have it biopsied. Does anyone have any familiarity with this type of tumor?

Thanks for any information you can share!

gallery_17856_3310_663.jpg

Isabella and Bunny da Kitteh, Angel Kitty da Hownd, Angel Cocoa, Angel Bodhi, Angel Cali, and Angel Remy

Not from personal experience, but I was pretty sure that's what it was...

: ^ (

I would just make the appointment and get it removed. Take it from there. Obviously you caught it very early, and if there's a good shot it's benign, the sooner you have it removed and find that out, the better!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would just make the appointment and get it removed. Take it from there. Obviously you caught it very early, and if there's a good shot it's benign, the sooner you have it removed and find that out, the better!

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

As I said I'm my pm, Elsie arrived from the farm at age 10 with a tiny lump on a nipple. That was April. In July, it had grown, a lot. My vet knew it was malignant, but said there was always a chance it was b9 but felt confident that Elsie would be ok. She had others that were not growing so we left them. When the biopsy came back malignancy, the margins were clear so we were happy. About 6 weeks later we had the others removed and they were b9. We've had a few other lumps and bumps since that time. I immediately bring her in and most of time we didn't have to do anything. We did not do general anesthesia - just a local and mild sedation on some and just a local on others.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I was hoping it wasn't this. But it sounds like this is really treatable and curative surgically if it hasn't metastisized already (which is what the chest rad is for).

Good thoughts for Cocoa! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All I can tell you is that mammary tumours - like other types - need to be removed quickly for safety. Most of the ones I've seen removed promptly have never caused any more trouble, but as others have said, they come in two flavours; benign and malignant. Better to be safe.

I'd have the whole thing excised ASAP, then send off a piece to the lab. Oh, and yeah - get her teeth done while she's under. Once a hound is past ten, and if the teeth need any kind of attention, I always add that into the package if the vets are willing. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest KennelMom

Quilty came to us with many LARGE mammary tumors and lots of small ones (she was 13). We xray'd to check her lungs - clear and then had them removed. It was fairly major since she had so many but she recovered well. I don't remember he results of the biopsy, but she did not pass from cancer so I'm pretty sure they were benign. Sending good thoughts for your girl!! :goodluck

Glad the surgery is over. Have you tried to offer some yummy foods? You can give her chicken breast, chicken baby food etc..

When my guys are feeling blah I make a chicken stew in the crockpot. I add that to their kibble--always a big hit. Of course you can substitute that with beef etc..

Give her a hug from me. Fingers crossed for a benign path report.