Temporary Paralysis/lethargy Questions

teri_d

help/advise please!! bleu is at the e-vet. background info: bleu is 4 years old. she hates to travel (and also storms). only medical problem besides what's listed below is an ear infection our regular vet was concerned about. last february we drove from oklahoma to kansas city and when we arrived at our destination she was completely lethargic - couldn't stand, walk - barely hold up her head. we took her to the e-vet and she steadily made improvements with only iv - no meds over 4 day period. all tests were normal and doggie neurologist said as long as she is improving no need for invasive tests or medications. she has always been a bit of a picky eater - but other than that, no problems. in june we lost her best buddy, win, to osteosarcoma. she was depressed to the extreme.....we had to carry her outside to pee, she did not want to go on walks - almost seemed to not remember her usual daily routines. we adopted ronee in july and she has been a very happy camper.

brings us to friday. another trip to kansas city - same deal, but not quite as bad - she could not stand up to get out of the car - had to pick her up and sit her on the ground she was able to stand with much assistance - but pretty much totally lethargic. where february she seemed like weakend back end - this time weakened front end. she has been at the e-vet since then. the original blood work all came back normal. vet saw some external bruising around her kidneys. suspicion of addisons - they ran the $80 test , which the vet said normal range 1-9 with 1-2 being suspicious. bleu had a 0.7 - so they did the $250 test - which came back normal - vet was shocked. they have drawn blood for a tick panel, but it has not come back yet, of course. our adoption group has suggested stress-riders/rhabdomyilitis......vet says she thinks with that the initial bloodwork should have had some flags -- and what about the extreme grief response? she has appointment to see doggie neurologist on monday and they are thinking they might like to do an mri --- help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by teri_d

In the absence of definitive test results, the mri might be your best bet if you want to get to the bottom of this. It could be many things - neurological, TBD, kidney issues, stroke, depression. Even something like painful spinal arthritis could cause symptoms, especially after a long car ride.

I know that doesn't really help, but I'm wishing you all the best with your girl.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh my word, you must be so worried.

Have they checked blood pressure? I might want an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) before proceeding with MRI.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's an awful thing to have to worry about. The only common factor being the long car trip? Something from the car perhaps?? Motion sickness aggravating exisiting problems? Carbon Monoxide poisoing from exahuast leak at the back??

Most likely TBD though.... hope you get a diagnosis and she's better soon.

That's an awful thing to have to worry about. The only common factor being the long car trip? Something from the car perhaps?? Motion sickness aggravating exisiting problems? Carbon Monoxide poisoing from exahuast leak at the back??

Most likely TBD though.... hope you get a diagnosis and she's better soon.

other than the "extreme depression" after win died that caused a mild lethargy the 2 road trips are the common denominator, yes - just got back from visiting our little sweetie - got to take her outside for a walk - just being nit-picky i thought her eyes looked a little dull, and when we opened up her cage door she did not clammer to get out, but other than that is doing very well - she loved the special treats i brought her (of course) -- thanks to you how have helped - and more replies will be much appreciated!!!!! thanks - teri

Sending lots of thoughts for your girl. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Could be something as simple as dehydration. Does she drink while traveling? What was her pcv%?

I was also thinking dehydration but, maybe she has a bad case of motion sickness without the vomiting. There could also be some inner ear (vestibular) issues that might cause loss of balance and if that occurred, they usually don't want to stand at all or they will have the knuckling that you are describing.

would it make sense to try to desensitize her to the car before going thru a gizzilion dollars testing. you already ruled out addison's disease, but do talk to your vet and try looking into some basic no-frills test- to see if it's something simple. if you start by just taking her into the car and feeding her treats and then out of the car on a regular basic, then eventually once she associates the car w/ treats and something yummie go for a spin around the corner and back- again reward. you can sloooowly lenghten the rides and see if she gets car sick.

btw, how often does your do go for outing in the car??? they do break in if you are consistant. it took my welsh terrier many many months to acclimate to the car, stop peeing, pooping and vomiting every time we went somewhere. my poor dd was pretty young and had to sit in the back next to his crate. maybe that's why she never got really attached to him

motion sickness stinks and it can take some time to spring back...ask me..the kid whose vomit hit the windshield of the vw bug(sitting in the back seat) before our family made it out of the parking lot. the puking has stopped but the dizziness, malise, horrid feeling that overwhems one w/ motion sickness still pops up.the drive to and from hedge hecke(sp?? that famous dam/resivoir in ca) had me almost flat on my back for the rest of that day- back seats almost do the same.

i hope it's something as simple as that, or electrolites or something benign.

best of luck in figuring this out, finding a vet will cautiously test and help and

she has been at the e-vet since then. the original blood work all came back normal. vet saw some external bruising around her kidneys. suspicion of addisons - they ran the $80 test , which the vet said normal range 1-9 with 1-2 being suspicious. bleu had a 0.7 - so they did the $250 test - which came back normal - vet was shocked.

It sounds like the vets are taking the most logical approach. Is it safe to assume the $250 was for an ACTH stim test? Quite honestly after reading the first paragraph I was already wondering about Addison's so it didn't surprise me the vet checked for that. Do you have copies of her blood panels from both episodes? If so, is it possible you could post those?

i do not have the results of all the bloodwork - they are awesome at the e-vet - just making lists and checking twice and absolutely open to suggestion (hence my appeal for help) -- all i know result wise is that they did a preliminary test for addisons (that cost $80) to see if there was any need to test further - we were told that "normal results were 1-9 - and if if was a 1 or 2 there would be suspicion of addisons and a further test would be necessary - we know bleu had a 0.7 on this test - the $250 test was then done, but came back normal - she does not have addisons - which shocked them. the next thing they want to rule out is TBD and that was sent off, but has not come back. her appt with doggie neurologist is in the morning -- she did see him in february and we really liked him - thought his approach was fabulous. as to "desensitizing" her in the car - of course we have done this - we have had her for 2 years -- we've done short runs for ice cream, mcdonalds, ball park to run, etc - nope - still hates the car :) and yes, we have absolutely thought that it might all be anixiety (however the bout after win passed away is curious) the vet says normally anxiety will present with loose stools and vomit - she does none of that.....we do absolutely think it is something that stress is setting off though- but what is the question -- and how far to go with testing, etc....... i will post update tomorrow and also the exact bloodwork when i get it - thank you all for your input!!

Teri, my initial thoughts was dehydration as well based on the long car ride being the common denominator. That could also just be coincidence however you state it's only happened on those two occasions. Does Bleu drink while you are travelling? Could be so many things. I hope Bleu is feeling better today and eventually you find the cause.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

hi kyle - hope you all are doing ok ! yes, bleu has water in the car - and she has been many other times when this has not happened at all - our daughter lives in kc, so its an easy drive and the dogs are always welcome :) so we take them there often. there are tons of things there they love to do - lovely trails, arboretium for walks, special treats, her dog they play with, etc. bleu has had the 2 episodes in the car - february and last weekend and the same-ish symptoms after win died this summer that we originally just attributed to very severe depression and grief over her lost friend.....she is seeing the neurologist this morning - so i'll update after her appt with him. thanks again for all the responses. hopefully she gets out of the hospital today!!!!!

bleu saw the neurologist this morning - since she is an "inpatient" i was not present. bleu's internal med dr phoned and said the neurologist would call and visit with us later, but saw no reason for mri (YEA!!!) at this time -- so she can come home today -- then we will address neurologist concerns and further testing (if needed) as an out patient at the clinic. she indicated at this time they are just waiting on the return of the TBD testing.......thanks everybody for thoughts and prayers and advise/help!!! i'll keep you updated.

• 2 years later...

BTT??

Bumping to top? teri_d referenced this older thread in a current one in H&M.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png