Thunder Shirts

Worth it or not?

Bu is thunder phobic. He doesn't mind the rain if theres no thunder so I don't think its due to the barometric pressure. He also had lots of other sound fears like fireworks, beeping, trucks, motorcycles and balls bouncing. Hes also afraid of kids and big public outings and the car. Is the thunder shirt something that can help him?

Guest jbbuzby

I think it depends on the dog, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If you find it doesn't work, there is a money back guarantee. Might be worth it to try.

The thunder shirt is like one big hug. It velcros tight around his body, and possibly would do a lot of good. And yes, there's a guarantee.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The thundershirt has not worked for Bailey or Brooke. I keep mine though in case we have another grey in the future that may be able to benefit from it. Melatonin and another coat (I think it is suppose to help with static in the air) doesn't work either for Brooke.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greygirls2

Didn't work at all on my Son's grey and now it's way too hot to even put something like that on him. They just bought him a "calming collar" and that's working really well even if put on after the storm has begun. Takes just a few minutes to calm him down. They are also guaranteed so if it doesn't work you can get a full refund. Calmingcollars.com It's a handmade all natural herbal collar.

I've had mixed results with ThunderShirts depending on the dog and the situation.

For fireworks, I think they made a difference. Last year, I used Melatonin (a lot, given well in advance), and Betsy was still stressed, although better than with anything else I'd tried. This year, with the same amount of Melatonin and a ThunderShirt, she slept peacefully. The other fireworks-phobes did well on the same combination.

For thunder, the ThunderShirt seems to help Cal quite a bit, although it does not completely resolve her anxiety. Dixie does not get as much reassurance from it.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am happy with the results of Summer's thundershirt. Like GreyPoopon, I find it doesn't completely solve the problem. But it helps enough so that she is resting easily, instead of shivering and shuddering in terror. I find that it's most effective if I get it on her BEFORE the first noise.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Had good results with our aged GSD and a friends Grey.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The Thunder shirt has helped Dreamy. She has problems with fireworks and thunder. It calms her enough that she isn't panting and pacing. She was fine on the 4th of July, not stressed at all. Bad thunder storms still upset her but not to the point of pacing.

We live in Oshkosh WI and Sky is upset by loud vehicles and airplanes. Durring the EAA airshow the Thunder shirt kept her calm enough she was even able to calmly sniff around and potty with low flying planes going over.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

I have one and it worked at first, but then I realized that as my angel Anna became stressed, the more she panted, the more she panted, the hotter she became so she panted more in a self perpetuating cycle. A small dose of benadryl (25 mg worked for her even at 72 lbs) an hour before the anticipated beginning of fireworks and cooling her with refrigerated (not frozen) gel packs worked wonders for her. She would go to our bedroom (her "safe room") and we would pull the shades and close the door to create a cave. Talking to her softly, stroking her chest, belly, groin and the insides of her legs with the cool gel packs in combination with the benadryl (diphenhydramine only - no other ingredients!), would calm her.

Thunderstorms became less of a problem after the first year. With each boom, she would look at us to see if we reacted and gradually figured out that if we weren't worried, she shouldn't be either. We think that someone in her former home was very frightened of thunder and she picked up on the fear. We were lucky with that outcome since we live in the lightening capital of the US and summer = storms with very little warning - at least not enough for benadryl to be effective.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I got a thunder coat because Teague gets really excited/anxious in the car. I honestly don't think it helped too much, but to be fair I have only used it maybe 5 times and didn't do much conditioning with it.

As with anything, to build a positive association it needs to be paired with something positive. So sticking on a thundershirt in the middle of a storm when the dog is already anxious doesn't always work, and could even associate it with more anxiety (anxiety = shirt). So in my opinion the best way to use one would be to put it on periodically during calm times and massage, feed or do relaxing and positive things. That way the association between the coat and relaxing becomes stronger which can make it work better. I know it is supposed to work more on pressure points than actual training modification but I still thinks this helps :) If you were closer I would give you mine, I never use it.

If you think it is not just noise you might also look into the Storm Defender Cape. It also has a money back guarantee. A couple of my adopters had good luck with it...one dog would go to the coat closet and ask for it long before the storms showed up on radar.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

The Thundershirt is based upon Temple Grandin's discovery that firm pressure around the torso can be extremely relaxing to some people. If you look at her research, it appears that about 68% of the people she had try her "squeeze box" reported favorable results. Of course, that means that 32% didn't, and for the claustrophobes, it was very stressful. So, which group does your dog fall into? You won't know until you try it. If you do not want to shell out the money, even with the refund policy, and have an old t-shirt you are willing to sacrifice, you can try an improvised one. Put t-shirt on dog over head, front legs in sleeves. Cut a slit up the back, and take the two pieces and tie them in such a way that the shirt is firmly against the dog (without choking him, of course!) and with the knot off to one side of the spine. If that seems to have an affect, then you can look at getting the Thundershirt, which is much easier to put on and adjust.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

The Storm Defender cape works on dogs that are reacting to the static build-up that precedes a thunderstorm. For dogs that react purely to the noise--dogs that react to fireworks--it will be less successful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Between the Thundershirt, the melatonin and the Resue Remedy (all used together) my IG will actually lay quietly in a chair during a storm or fireworks instead of pace and pant and try to get in/under/behind the furniture. It's a miracle for us!! :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Ok, I'm just going to try a coat first I think. He LOVES clothes, so that won't be a problem. I've tried rescue remedy on him before and it didn't do a thing so I won't bother with that again. I have melatonin. How much do I give and when?

If your dog has a tendency to run hot, an Thundershirt is going to make it even hotter. I bought one for Carl, but he was panting like a mad dog shortly after I put it on him, he cooled right down after I took it off of him. Anxiety Wrap is much thinner, may be better suited for dogs that run on the warmer side.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thundershirt works for Uber in our house. He wears it when it's thundering, when fireworks are being set off, and any time we need to go to a high stress area (ie: the vet, in the car, etc). It certainly isn't a cure all, but it definitely helps to keep him calmer. As soon as I pick it up, he comes over to put it on (he doesn't even do that with his winter coat). I think in some ways, he knows that it helps him.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest sireltonsmom

Ok, I'm just going to try a coat first I think. He LOVES clothes, so that won't be a problem. I've tried rescue remedy on him before and it didn't do a thing so I won't bother with that again. I have melatonin. How much do I give and when?

I recommend you check with your vet. Sir Elton got 3 mg. of melatonin at 68 lbs. It's pretty reasonable to buy. It did help him. I got a thunder shirt and have it on him right now as it's thundering in Sarasota. He's still in the utility room hugging the dryer, but not shaking. The experts told me to ignore him when he's panting/shaking - that is real hard to do. I have, in the past, tucked a nesting blanket around him. And the Rescue Remedy...... worked better if I took it LOL.

I usually ignore him. It didn't seem to matter if I ignore him or baby him. Honestly, I think he likes to be left alone when he's freaked out. Even when I'm on my bed which is next to his safe spot he doesn't try to get comfort from me when he's a mess.