Thunder Shirts

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo has a thundershirt. It works for thunderstorms but is useless for his travel anxiety.

He would pace and pant during a storm. At night, he would get up in our bed and stand over DH and I panting.

We put the shirt on when we see grey skies before the first sound of thunder. When we first got it, we would put the shirt on and then medicate him. After about 5 storms with the shirt, we found that he would settle down without the need for drugs. Now he seems to be able to sense a coming storm and has started coming to us to ask for his "brave shirt."

We have a foster who freaked out during the first storm we had with him in our home. We put the shirt on him and he went and laid down in DH's closet.

Once a foster I had was really freaked with our sudden monsoon storms. They come up so fast the Benedryl was useless. At first I would put her on the bed with me so she could curl up against me. That helped a lot. But then I would take a t-shirt I was wearing and put that on her. Between the t-shirt and my scent on it, the thunder didn't bother her as much. As long as she could see me and I was calm she was good to go.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

This happened yesterday: A fierce thunderstorm blew through. I got the thundershirt out and Master put his head though the area where his head goes by himself, he was so happy to have it on. Instead of his usual panting he laid down. It works for him!

I actually need to get another one as we have two thunderphobic dogs.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.