Something Is Wrong With Nola

You know when you just know something is not right with your dog? This is one of those times, and I can't figure it out. She has yelped in pain a few times this morning and is keeping her head down and tail between her legs. I have felt all over her body and with no reaction from her. She is not the usual happy, bouncy, lovey Nola. The only thing I can guess at is maybe something with her neck but I just don't know. I left a message for the vet asking if I should wait & see or bring her in. Unfortunately this morning I have to get to work due to an assignment I cannot miss. It should be possible for me to leave work early this afternoon, though.

100_5901.jpg

Oh, Nola - what's the matter?

I know exactly what your saying. Even if they lay around the majority of the time, even that can be different when something is going on. I think that is part of the special communication we have with our pets. I hope it is nothing more than a passing ailment and she's feeling better soon.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

I heard back from the vet, he said to give her buffered aspirin so she has that on board now. I feel bad leaving her to go to work (am running late, oh well), but I will come home early. Normally in the mornings she greets me when I come out of the shower, sits by the table as I eat breakfast (hoping to finish the milk from my bowl of cereal), and lays at my feet while I iron but none of that happened today.

We've got to work to pay the vet bills. Besides, she likely just wants to take it easy right now anyway.

Normally in the mornings she greets me when I come out of the shower, sits by the table as I eat breakfast (hoping to finish the milk from my bowl of cereal), and lays at my feet while I iron but none of that happened today.

I hate, hate, hate the loss of those things. Its enough to make you want to cry. Still, have had dogs with neck probs & they did act like that. A bit of rest, from a few days to a few weeks, was all it took. Hope it's that simple.

I hope that whatever it is, it's quickly diagnosed and easily remedied.

FWIW, Betsy is prone to neck "cricks", which can be awful for her but have always resolved in time.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Diamond occasionally tweaks a muscle in her neck, and the symptoms sound really similar. In the past, our vet has given her steroid shots, which do seem to help some. He also has us rub her down with Traumeel gel.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Feel better soon, Nola!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest BlueCrab

Our bridge boy Duke had similar complaints but when his normally waggy tail continued to hang, we tested about a bit and found him positive for Lyme disease. Treated with antibiotic course and he seemed much better. Hope it's nothing more than a creaky neck and she's feeling better soon.

Edited by BlueCrab

hope she's feeling better!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks for the input.

She is pretty much acting the same, not in good spirits. When I arrived home, she did not greet me as she normally would. When I found her (in the den) I took one look at her and could tell something is off with her. I feel bad and wish there was something I could do other than give her aspirin and gentle pets.

Fritz usually needs tramadol and Robaxin when he tweaks himself (if that's what this is).

Have you taken her temp? If not, start there. Maybe its something internal. If she's feverish I'd do some bloodwork.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I awoke to Nola standing by my bed and she wagged her tail. When I took her outside she "jogged" to her usual area in the back of the yard, whereas yesterday morning she slowly lumbered and just went to the nearest spot of grass. So, it seems she is feeling better this morning, but not 100%.