Taste Of The Wild

Guest greygirls2

Guest greygirls2

What's the verdict on Taste of the Wild now? I notice it is back on the shelves in stores out here. They tell me the problems have been fixed and the food is now safe. I checked and the codes and sell by dates are all new. Anyone going back to it? My dogs did really well on it but I am still uncertain. Also had anyone noticed any inconsistencies in the kibble before the recall.....different sized, colored kibble pieces? A friend said she noticed a difference from bag to bag....I had not seen this.

We used to feed TOTW but it was too rich for Rocket. When we were feeding it, it wasn't unusual to have some color variation from bag to bag because the final step in their production is some type of spray coating of the kibble. That can cause color variations that are normal. Kibble size also varied depending on which plant it came from, as the cutters and dies used to form the kibble will vary from machine to machine. We contacted their customer service department back then with some questions, and they were very responsive. If you have a concern about a particular issue, I wouldn't hesitate to call them.

If it's slight product variations like noted above, not a big deal. if you are finding stray pieces of other types of kibble in with your food, then I would have issues with that because something in the process wasn't cleaned out properly before your product was manufactured or bagged. If that's the case, call the company and give them the codes on the bag so they can track it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It's permanently off of the shelves at the two closest feed stores. Tractor Supply is the only place in our general area still carrying TOTW, Chicken Soup or any Diamond products. Folks tolerance for Diamonds quality control issues reached its breaking point. Feed store I normally use now carries Victor products instead. My dogs made the switch quite easily & are doing well. Right it looks like TOTW is a thing of the past for us.

I did notice slight variations in color when I was feeding it, not a big deal. I never had any problems with it (we were not in the recall area), but I switched to CostCo's grain free for $ reasons. It is very very similar to TOTW, and the dogs like it and are doing well. I feed the girls half raw, half kibble, Fletcher only gets kibble on rare occasions. It is made by Diamond, but there have never been any problems in this area :dunno

Guest gryhnd3

My one guy that was on TOTW (Salmon) was doing pretty well on it, but I am not going back. Switched to Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient (Turkey) and he's doing very well. I order it online, first from Amazon now from Wag.

All of the problems make me wonder if TOTW will take their manufacturing elsewhere. Unless someting has changed since the time that we fed it, TOTW is it's own company, and had a contract with Diamond to manufacture the food. It won't surprise me to see them make a decision to manufacture in-house or move to another manufacturer. Those things all take time of course, which they may not have if they've seen a significant loss in business.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I never stopped it, 'cause they said if your dog was going to get sick from it, he would right away, and I had already been feeding him from the bag, which I had disposed of so I had no idea what the codes/dates were!

I did, however, buy a bag of Blue Buffalo which he really seems to like, so I may just switch for good.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Patton

Both my current dogs have some serious food allergies which took me to TOTW initially. We never took them off it during the recall because they also didn't have any problems and have continued to feed it successfully. You'd never know either had allergies by looking at them, kind of in the camp that "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it".

Guest mainegrey

I have not stopped feeding it either. Tried to switch to Earthborn holistic, it didn't go well. We are back on TOTW. Tootsie rolls became perfect overnight

Never took ours off, because I didn't want to deal with Monty's digestive issues if we did. We'd tried maybe 5 different kinds of food before we went to TOTW Pacific Stream and now that we can pick up after him I plan to stay.

I do wish they'd change manufacturers if the Diamond one has such poor quality control so frequently, but wonder how many actual plants there are out there and how many options they have. The $$ for creating the infrastructure to make your own has got to be $$$$$$$, so I can see why there are limited numbers of suppliers out there. I just wish that the other companies using plants owned by one company would turn around and slap the company with their own losses through problems like this. If a company usually makes and sells $10000 worth of food, but one plant down means they can only sell $4000 and then also have people returning for refund $1000 worth of "potentially bad" food...that's a lot for the company to take when they can't control the processing directly. I think it should come out of the people who *are* in charge of the manufacturing. ... Maybe it is. If so, I'm glad.

I only supplement a bit with kibble, but I do often buy TOTW to do it with. I still buy it because it is one of the few kibbles Teague can handle relatively well, I like the ingredient list, and it is a good price for quality. I have started switching to a similar store brand here called Performatrin grain free, but I am not totally off buying TOTW. From what I read, the recall was from salmonella (or something similar?) which was more a threat to humas handling the food than the dogs eating it. If the recall was based on some chemical or foreign ingredient then I would definitely stop feeding it. I trust very few, if any dog food companies but TOTW doesn't seem any worse than the huge list of others that have been recalled.

I started feeding the lamb and rice kibble from Costco, which I think is from the same manufacturer ?. She is doing well but really doesn't eat much of it. She is only eating about 3 cups a day but seems to be maintaining her weight. Her farting has stopped so think we will stick with it for a while.

Karen

Kind of interesting that when I do a Google search for Taste of the Wild, every listing comes up saying "This site could harm your computer"..

:lol Sorry but the really is funny. Should they recall the websites as well?

We never switched and haven't had any problems. I did consider it, but they are doing so very well on TOTW and I hate to mess with success. There are occasional variations in kibble size/color from bag to bag but it's nothing I worry about. There are relatively few options for alternate foods in my area. We don't have a Costco, I am on a limited budget, most of the alternatives that I can find locally are WAY more expensive, and this is the first food I've tried that Raven really thrives on. Riley could probably eat something else but I keep them on the same food for consistency's sake.

I truly hope that TOTW will consider moving its production out of Diamond's facilities.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest greygirls2

Well I had swirched over to Dave's Grain Free chicken based diet when the recall happened because my new bag had the codes. The dogs did OK with the switch but I did notice over time that their stools were larger and much more frequent....3-4 a day each which never happens so I am now questioning how much they are actually digesting. I think I am going to go back on the TOW because they really did well on that and I am so tired of changing foods. We had to make the switch when Canidea changed their formula also after using that with great results for yesr. Then one day they all refused to eat it...even the foster so I knew something was up, that's when I found out they changed it after several emails to the company they finally admitted it. I tried a bunch of other kibbles without success until TOW. I also feed homemade and some raw in addition to the kibble. Thanks everyone for all the input.

• 2 weeks later...

We had terrible problems with High Prairie. I think Henry had some type of allergic reaction to the bison in it. He was constantly licking at his paws and bum. One of our friends feeds TOTW with no problems. If yours are doing well, then I'd continue feeding it and just check the bag's serial numbers against the recalled bags.