Osteo Thread V

Just wanted to let everyone know that my sweet Cashie went peacefully to the Rainbow Bridge tonight. We had a wonderful vet come to our home, he fell asleep in my arms and never woke up. He had a great last few days with lots of hugs, kisses, snuggles and visits from everyone that loved him. Up until the end I really feel like he was happy, just tired and in pain.

I miss him terribly already, but feel somewhat relieved that he will no longer feel any pain. I know that he is up there running free with his greyhound buddies.

Thank you to everyone who loved him without even knowing him, and for offering me the support that I needed to get through this. I will write up something in the remembrance section later, right now I am just too numb to fully comprehend this huge hole in my heart.

Kelly

http://i1265.photobu...th_photo-13.jpg

oh Kelly, I am SO very, very sorry :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

hugs to you and your family during this heartbreaking time. My thoughts are with you :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(:grouphug I hope it brings you at least some comfort that he passed peacefully in your arms, where he was well loved and happy. Please continue to check in if you need support.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry :grouphug

This latest group of pups diagnosed is just heart wrenching :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am so sorry. With each one that goes to the Bridge, I feel they take a piece of everyone's heart with them. :brokenheart:grouphug

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Kelly, I am so very sorry. All the pups who fight this battle are so very special to all of us and we share in your grief of another that has passed too soon. Again so very sorry, hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...I shed tears knowing how much you loved him but couldn't win this battle with this insidious disease.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ohhh no! Kelly! I am so so so sorry! I wasn't expecting to read this :( My heart breaks for you. I am glad he went in your arms and at home, but I am so sorry. Sending you love. You gave him so much love and I am glad.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

So sorry for you and your family. Cash was loved and will be missed.............................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GenetJen

First of all, I want to thank EVERYONE for their advice and support. The multi-quoting got out of hand, so I'm just giving one massive thanks. Everyone's responses meant a lot.

Kelly - I am so very sorry to you and Cash. :(

We put Maya to sleep at 8:30 this morning. It was awful, but think I made the right decision for her. Just trying to make it through the day. Struggling and hoping I did everything right for her.

We put Maya to sleep at 8:30 this morning. It was awful, but think I made the right decision for her. Just trying to make it through the day. Struggling and hoping I did everything right for her.

I'm so sorry. Maya was a very pretty little girl. Too many losses...

Run free Maya, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Maya...............Rest in Peace with no more pain............................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well dang it, this is a very bad news day. I am so so sorry to you as well, and extend my condolences and strength. I know you did the right thing. You did everything out of love for her, and that is what matters most.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

I'm so very sorry. :( I hope you will be able to be at peace with your decisions at some point. It's very difficult not to second guess and feel guilty, but it does get easier, as does the grief. You'll find what works best for you, but for me the things that helped were looking at photos and watching videos (I felt closer to her somehow) and also doing some stuff in the house in memorial when I was ready - having some prints made and hanging them, setting up a place for her ashes :cry1, etc.

Again, I'm so sorry.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

oh NO :sad1 :sad1 :sad1

I'm so very, very sorry :( :( she was a beautiful girl. I know how hard it is to watch your sweet baby in pain :( she knows you gave her the final act of pure love, letting her be pain free.

sending you many, many hugs. :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry you didn't have more time with Maya.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry to hear about Maya :(:grouphug

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest patterpaws

Oh, sweet Maya. :( I'm so sorry, I know how hard you worked to keep her comfortable. My heart is breaking for the recent losses... Dynamo, Cash, now Maya. Hugs to everyone. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Now the sweet houndies are out of pain, running free by the rainbow bridge... :cry1 :cry1 :sad1:gh_run

So, I didn't know where else to vent or ramble. I'm not really sure which it is to be honest.

Macho is doing well, so you would think I would be upbeat and thrilled right? In a way I am. Today has just been a rough day for me, not him. (He had a blast snoozing and chilling with his buds at a meet and greet!). As you know, we've opted to just manage his pain. This is going really well so far. We seem to be in a good cycle where his pain medicine needs are low and he is perky and silly (as much as he can be really).

All that said - I am terrified that we are going to meet the end, not by him being in pain and showing us that he wants to leave, but by getting a bone fracture. How am I going to do that? What if that happens and I have to let him go when he is still himself and happy and smiling? I will feel like I let him down because I don't have the funds to do any other treatment, and even if I did I am not sure I would put him through all of that. I know I can't control how the end will meet us, and I know it will happen. I am just not sure if I can deal with it and feel comfortable letting him go if it comes by way of a fracture or broken bone. His tumor is pretty big. And I know that's probably the inevitable, though I am hoping not. I just know I am going to feel like I failed him if that's how I have to say goodbye.

My partner and I are debating when to do the next xray on his leg to see how it's going. Terrified that when we do that will be when we have to bring him home, have a goodbye party with his buddies and say goodbye. Gosh, I'm tearing up already.

I am trying to remain positive, because he is. But this is lurking in the back of my mind :sad1 :sad1 :sad1

Anyway, sorry to be a downer, but I didn't know where else to let this out where someone would understand.

I know I can't control how the end will meet us

If his tumor is large, the bone is seriously compromised. You may want to consider letting him go sooner rather than later.

There is no good way to lose a dog, a friend, a part of your family and your life. It is better-- by a longshot -- to say goodbye during happy, tailwagging times rather than at a moment of crisis and pain.

Gentle hugs to you and yours.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

MachosMom - We opted for the amputation because I was terrified of Berkeley breaking his leg in the yard, especially since he loved to play and still had full use of his osteo leg. And that's exactly what ended up happening - he broke his remaining front leg when the osteo spread. So while you may think that you haven't done all you "could have done", even if you had exhausted the options, it doesn't mean that things would necessarily be "better", KWIM? Osteo sucks, period, and it doesn't play fair.

Just try to take it day by day and enjoy the time you have together.

And just to add, had I had any signs that he was going to break his other leg, I would have opted to have him euthanized before that happened - as Batmom said, it's not optimal to have to let them go in a moment of crisis. But since we can't predict what will happen in all cases, we have to do the best we can with the knowledge we have.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.