Hurley

GreytHurleyDawg

First, let me take a moment to clarify that this is not Johanna, but her husband Jim. I wanted to take a moment to write down a few things, to share with all of you some thoughts about our time with Hurley.

As some of you may be aware, our dog, Hurley, was diagnosed with bone cancer in November. Although we took the steps of amputating his leg, in hopes of extending his life, the cancer had spread to his lungs. Shortly after Midnight, in the early morning of Monday April 23, it was clear to us that Hurley was struggling to breathe. Johanna suggected taking him to the 24hour vet, and I took a moment to remind her that he might never come home if we did. We both took some time to sit with him, and we made the call. While the vet was worried that we would have to carry him, Hurley did rise to his feet when we picked up the leash, a testament to his strength. We were encouraged by this, but we remained realistic as well. The vet confirmed that he was having heart problems, and while his heart was beating 180 bpm, he was not fully circulating. We sat and talked about the situation, considering the wisdom of checkin him into their ICU and waiting until our morning consultation. Six hours seemed like an eternity at that point, in which time Hurley could have had other problems, several of which might be too painful. And alone.

We made the decision that all dog owners fear. It was Hurley's time. Before he suffered, before he was alone, before he was scared. We sat for a short time alone, then went to the family room, where we could be with Hurley. The three of us sat there, having our final moments, saying our goodbyes. And when the vet came in, Hurley sat between us, our hands continually on him, comforting him, and reminding him that he was not alone. It is truly a humbling experience to feel the last beats of your beloved pet's heart, but I would have been nowhere else in his final minutes. Never take for granted your pets, and the love that exists between you.

Hurley was not our dog. Rather, Johanna was Hurley's person. It seems a fine distinction, but I know that many of you understand this sentiment. Since Hurley's transition from track (Geneva Lakes) to our home, he had taken to Johanna, making her his life's focus. He was never far from her when she is home, and when she is away, he clearly missed her. Her arrival at home was always met by Hurley's wet nose and chittering teeth. Since losing the ability to join us in the bed with the loss of his leg, he was our alarm clock, whimpering at the bottom of the stairs, imploring Johanna to come down and join him in the day. While some might think that this is hunger, or a request to be let out, I assure you that is not the case. When it was I who descended the stairs to check on his needs, he seemed disappointed, and returned to his roost on the couch. When it is Johanna, he was at her side, ready to seize the day.

Hurley is not just a good dog. He is a great dog. And he made us better people. He had a perfect temprament. He was neither too aloof (sorry, Woodie) nor too bossy (sorry, Petra), but he was definately Alpha Dog. The following day, I found Woodie sitting at the front door, perhaps expecting Hurley's return. I hope that he, as well as the rest of our household, can find new ways to move past this tragedy, and celebrate the joy that our Hurley brought to our lives.

Later, with Johanna, I hope we can post some of our favorite photos of Hurley, some of which have been previously posted, but a few new ones as well. Thank you all for your support and concern.

It has been a few days, and Johanna and I have taken some time to collect a few photos. Here are some of our favorites.

From early on, Hurley did some odd things, like roaching...

Retired.jpg

The story behind this photo is simple enough...dumb luck. Just happened to snap the photo at the moment he jumped.

DanceDance.jpg

Silly pajama time.

e601fe06.jpg

Family photos. (I know, we are so odd.)

3756076a.jpg

Even with only 3 legs, loved to roach on the couch.

Osteo015.jpg

This winter, as Hurley the tripod navigated the snowy yard.

SweetHurleyDawg014.jpg

Finally, a last photo from Sunday, after the vet had already confirmed the tumors had spread to his lungs.

SweetHurleyDawg079.jpg

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, I'm so very, very sorry for your loss? Please give my best to Johanna. You are both in my thoughts :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest NSGREY

:grouphug

Run Like the Wind Hurley!!

I'm sorry for your family's loss. Hurley sounded like a really great family member and his devotion to Johanna very touching

That was a great tribute to a great dog. You loved Hurley so much. :grouphug

Rest well, Hurley. :f_red

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Such a wonderful description of your boy. I am so very sorry for your loss. I have tears in my eyes, as I can just picture him at the bottom of the stairs, waiting.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Jim and Johanna, I had been following Hurley's struggle and hoped that his problems weren't cancer. I'm sorry that he had to leave.

I've been down this road 5 times now, and as hard as it is for me to be there, I won't have it any other way. Hurley sounded like a very very special 'person'.

This helped me when I lost my first girl Brindle:

farewell Master, yet not farewell.

Where I go ye too shall dwell.

I am gone before your face,

A moment's time, a little space.

When ye come where I have stepped,

Ye will wonder why ye wept.

It is truly a humbling experience to feel the last beats of your beloved pet's heart, but I would have been nowhere else in his final minutes. Never take for granted your pets, and the love that exists between you.

What a gift you gave Hurley.

That was a beautiful tribute.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Hurley.

Jim and Johanna, I am terribly sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Hurley demonstrates just how special a pup he was. I was rooting for Hurley as a member of the 'Osteo club' and was hoping he could follow in Charlie's footsteps however it was not to be. Our last moments with our Charlie were very similar to yours and as you stated, feeling the last beats of their hearts as they slip away is humbling and heartbreaking. I know Charlie will meet Hurley at the bridge as he was always first to meet a new Grey wherever we went.

Run free Hurley, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What a beautiful tribute to your beloved Hurley. We know all too well the pain of losing a perfect dog too soon to this godforsaken cancer. Thinking about both of you at this sad time. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I will look forward to seeing those pictures one day.

Your words are a testament to a dog who was more than a dog, so much more.

I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer with you.

Godspeed, Hurley.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.