Bread

I notice in a lot of the threads that people say they feed their grey a slice of bread at night. I usually feed Ruby her 2nd meal of the day at 6 PM and I never think to give her a treat at night before bed. She sleeps all night in her crate without any problems at all and I think I could sleep until noon before she would start to rustle.

Is bread good for their tummies ? Does it help cut down on gas or make it worse ? Do you feed white or wheat ? I am pretty picky about the treats she gets and I usually only give her one (disgusting smelling salmon treats) after a walk or when she has to go outside for a while so I can run an errand. I would have never thought to give her a slice of bread. Just curious why bread and what the consequences are ?............thanks

Karen

Bella was the bread monster. I swear if I would have placed a filet next to a dinnner roll she'd opt for the bread. She was always a svelte girl so she usually got bread when I ate it...whatever kind I was eating...white, wheat, bun, bagel, English muffin, pita. I'm not a huge bread fan (like sandwiches, but open face) so she usually got most of one side of the bun/bread on my sandwiches. She never had gas so I can't say on that issue. I'd sometimes give Rex my colitis boy a slice of bread if his stomach started gurgling at night.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest tricolorhounds

I've used bread to disguise a pill because it is malleable.

No issues.

Marcy

Yes... I was told by my Vet to put liquid Metacam on bread to get our dog to take it.

My adoption rep has 9 hounds and they get bread as treats.

Mine get an occasional bit of bread and love it even better if there is peanut butter on it :colgate I have to say though mine don't get a lot of treats; just usually a biscuit after last turn out at night.

Mine get about 2 slices of bread/muffin for three dogs each day - if it's store bought then I toast it, if I made it at home they get as is. The store bought can be too "gummy" and when I make it at home it has more "substance" to it. If it's toasted, I put a bit of butter or peanut butter on it.

One of my boys has sensitivity to noodles but, he seems to be able to do the bread just fine ...

Teddy and Daisy have 1/4 of a peanut butter sandwich late at night before bed. Before we started doing that, Teddy would wake up every night around 2:30 AM crying. We thought maybe he was just hungry. So we tried the piece of sandwich, and he hasn't cried at night since. They have their dinner at 6 PM and breakfast at 6 AM.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest BrianRke

Bread with pimento cheese or peanut butter is their favorite. If they get a pinch of bread without anything on it, they look disappointed :unsure

I feed my dogs everything I eat. No issues.

Me too (within reason). :blush I call it the RAUOL diet -- Reasonably Appropriate Use of Leftovers. :) Some of the leftovers my guys don't like/don't need go to Homer, the outside lab across the alley.

If I get a rocking hand made cheeseburger from the corner pub I stop by McDonalds for a plain and dry McDouble. No fatalities so far.....

wow- I am glad someone asked this question. I have been using a very small piece of bread when I give my hounds milk thistle after shots and heart worm meds. I wasn't 100% sure that it would be ok, I was told by my parrot vet to cut the bread out because of the increase of yeast in their body. But parrots are much smaller than greyhounds.

I love this site- I learn new things about my hounds all the time.

My boys LOVE bread. One slice is usually substantial enough to tide Ryder over until morning so he doesn't have an empty tummy and therefore throws up bile in the morning.

My pomeranian lived on it. I think that was the key to his longevity too!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Gary gets a slice of whole grain bread every morning. Can't speak for stomach issues, but it keeps him out from underfoot while I try to make my lunch, and he acts like I just gave him the best treat in the world! :youcrazy

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

I don't think bread offers any particular nutritional benefit to dogs and some dogs are allergic to wheat (like Raven), but it's OK to occasionally feed a little bit as a treat or to hide a pill as long as your dog tolerates it. But... if you feed them too much of it they get fat very, very fast.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I don't think bread offers any particular nutritional benefit to dogs and some dogs are allergic to wheat (like Raven), but it's OK to occasionally feed a little bit as a treat or to hide a pill as long as your dog tolerates it. But... if you feed them too much of it they get fat very, very fast.

1/2 of a large milkbone (1st ingredient wheat) is around 65 calories. A piece of bread is usually 70 - 100. A slice of any bread I've seen is less than 125 calories which would be a whole milkbone.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Mine love love love bread! I stopped buying all store treats last year with so many bad reports. They either get home made treats...or bread. No fattys here either and no tummy troubles. They act like it's the best treat ever, just plain!

Mine love Bread too! I often give it to them if they are on some antibiotics...seems to help with their stomach on cephalaxine. Of sometimes just because...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021