Bread

I don't think bread offers any particular nutritional benefit to dogs and some dogs are allergic to wheat (like Raven), but it's OK to occasionally feed a little bit as a treat or to hide a pill as long as your dog tolerates it. But... if you feed them too much of it they get fat very, very fast.

1/2 of a large milkbone (1st ingredient wheat) is around 65 calories. A piece of bread is usually 70 - 100. A slice of any bread I've seen is less than 125 calories which would be a whole milkbone.

I'm remembering Tiny, who came from the prison dog program at 125 lbs. and was so fat that he couldn't walk without gasping. The culprit was waaaay too much bread. The inmates found out that he loved it, and they smuggled it to him at every opportunity. He was a classic example of "don't overdo it." :lol

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest mirthlesstroll

Mine LOVE bread, all kinds of bread, all day long. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, Maisie tends to be fat, and Jett gets bad gas if I feed him too much, so Mom needs to be mean and ration the good stuff.

Guest BooneTia

Well,Oz ate a whole loaf of white bread yesterday while I had the other 2 outside for after dinner "business" He stole it right off the table, I came back in the house to an empty bag on the floor!!!! LOL No gas or other problems! But the bread gets put away!

:rolleyes:

Guest peacehound

Peace gets a slice of whole wheat bread with pbutter stirred into her dry kibble for breakfast most mornings..that and a tablespoon of yogurt...perfect weight,no problems I believe, this has been her weekday breakfast for three years..on the weekends she does get an egg each day with her kibble.