Need Some Input Please

I used to work at a vet hospital and in answer to this thread went online to look for the kind of dog stretchers we used at the hospital to move large dogs. They were pvc-ish frames with tightly-woven nylon webbing and came with tie-down straps. Well, in a quick search I found this:

http://www.bellaspai...r-2471-prd1.htm which looks even better. (stretcher with wheels--think rolling luggage.

You might still have to come up with a ramp strategy to deal with any stairs or getting into the car, but this looks like quite a nifty tool.

this is something I have worried about for years since i live alone and Fletcher is 90lbs, no way I could carry him! This stretcher looks perfect for me, I will be ordering one today! Thanks for posting it :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope it is never ever needed but alas I like to be prepared and things always seem to occur when I am away on business. I like the dog stretcher and now just need to check whether they ship to Canada. I also plan to have a chat with our vet as we have a very good relationship and really like him. The issue however is that he is 20 minutes from here and it may take a bit of time before he could get here plus as I wrote, not many neighbours around us. Unfortunately I envision what Emma went through with Berk and can only imagine what that was like (I am sorry you went through this Emma). It crushes me when I think of DW experiencing the same but without my help. So I'll work out something somehow.

First - call us! It would be a bit of a drive but we work from home and could be there within an hour.

Second - we brought Bumper home from the vet after his dental on a flat pet stretcher. It had wheels on it that could be used if there was only one person doing the lifting. That could be a good investment and I can ask the vet for their source if you are interested. It is similar to the one shown in the link above except it has smaller wheels.

Thanks Derek! As always we greatly appreciate your offer and know it's reciprocal as I am often working from home as well. Perhaps we need to exchange phone numbers so in the event of an emergency, at least we have them!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

When Dude first broke his leg I was so lucky that DH was home and several of my neighbors heard him scream and came running to help. I do not know what I would have done by myself. He was in pain and thrashing around and I could barely hold him down on my own let alone leave him to run into the house for supplies or my cell phone.

We stabilized his leg with garden stakes, towels and duct tape, got him on a blanket and into the car. My wonderful neighbor rode in the back with Dude to hold him down.

Once we came home with a tripod, this was my biggest fear. I began carrying my cell phone with me every time we went outside. I put some supplies in a large plastic bin and stashed them outside too. I could carry Dude - especially without the fourth leg - but would have had to rely on the blanket-dragging method to get him to the car.

I love the stretcher idea. Might have to order one of those.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Energy11

I am so sorry to hear about your baby's Osteo diagnosis! I think it is great that you are preparing ahead.

We don't have an OS dog here (yet), but I will be way for my son's wedding in April, leaving DH ALONE, without medical training with all five of my seniors, ages 10-11.5. WE are in a remote area, with no neighbors as well. I do have a doggie stretcher (*got online, per my former vet's advice), and I just found an "on call" pet sitter, who I will be retaining for the four days, and she will be literally on call in case John needs her.

You might want to look into getting stretcher, (I think mine was about $100), and maybe an on-call type of sitter as well. I used Care.com. I have used them twice in the past for human caregivers, and I can attest to the quality people they list. They are also all pre-background checked as well..

Let's hope nothing castrophic happens for you, but, you will definitely be prepared, if it does. Sending love and hugs your way!

He was in pain and thrashing around and I could barely hold him down on my own let alone leave him to run into the house for supplies or my cell phone.

This is an important point, I think. While all these ideas are fantastic, I think the first thing is to be sure you can at least try to reach someone else for help. If not, then fall back on plan B, but there is a chance the dog will be somewhere away from all your best supplies and you may not be able to/want to leave them alone. Carrying a cell phone (and keeping it charged!) is really key.

Kyle - if my experience helps someone else avoid being in that position, then that is a good thing to me.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I like the look of the wheeled stretcher, but I have a small car, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to fit an occupied stretcher into my car. ("Assembled" it's 45" x 22" / 115cm x 56cm.) My Sam is a small boy, though, (about 65 pounds) and I can lift him, so I tell myself I'd be able to manage him.

God knows, I've already done this once. My first girl broke a leg standing in my living room. Oreo was a tiny thing (about 53 pounds), and I was able to lift her and carry her to the car. But that car ride to the e-vet (less than 5 miles) is something I never want to repeat...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

As with so many others, since I am widowed, I have often wondered, with concern, about having to lift Annie Bella. Simply put, I could not. Even if I had something, such as a stretcher, to put her on, getting her to the car would be impossible alone because there are 9 flagstone steps of different widths and heights to go down just to get to ground level. No doubt in my concern for her health, I would literally flag down a car to ask for help.

Maybe your Vet can give you something to give him. I believe Dr Couto set Jane (joejoesmom) up with a shot of pain medicine. I do not know how your local police are but would they be able to be on call.

I know I have been there. I was lucky, the neighbor was home.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Energy11

This is a GREAT point! I have injectable Valium pre-loaded, which I give rectally in case of seizure activity that doesn't stop, or goes into prolonged seizures. Anyway, IF I needed to get a sick or injured dog in the car, I would pre-sedate with this.

Pain medication, and/or preloaded Valium would certainly be a good idea to have "just in case!"

I thought of something else - along with programming the vets into your GPS, put their phone numbers into your phone. I ended up calling a friend and had her look up the number for me and call them to tell them I was on my way so they could meet me outside. I didn't want to leave him in the car alone, so it was very helpful to have someone meet me there when I arrived.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I thought of something else - along with programming the vets into your GPS, put their phone numbers into your phone. I ended up calling a friend and had her look up the number for me and call them to tell them I was on my way so they could meet me outside. I didn't want to leave him in the car alone, so it was very helpful to have someone meet me there when I arrived.

And one useful thing is to list all your vets under V. Do you want to remember whether a place is listed as "Animal Hospital X" or "X Animal Hospital"? I've got "Vet-Cumberland," "Vet-Lake City," "Vet-Cobb Emergency," "Vet-Chiro," etc. I programmed in phone and address for all of them, so my phone's navigation software can grab an address from my contacts list and go from there. (I know how to reach all those places from my house, but the programmed addresses could be useful if I'm away from home when one of the dogs gets hurt.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

This is absolutely my greatest fear, too.

I already keep an extra muzzle upstairs in my bedroom; but I should probably make sure to bring one with me on walks as well, and start carrying my cell phone.

As I was reading through the thread, I too, thought that having a dose of rectal valium on hand would be a good idea.

A garden cart could work for transporting, too - but wouldn't be any help getting up or down stairs or into a car.

I am very fortunate in my situation that I am easily able to carry even a large greyhound, and I live next door to my vet's office. For off hours, a car ride would be required, but there are 2 e-vets within a 10 minute drive.

One other thing you might want to have on hand is the number of a dog-friendly taxi company. You never know when your car is going to be stubborn. This happened to me when I had to bring Twiggy to the e-vet for her infection. My reliable car refused to start. Fortunately a neighbor agreed to drive us, but if I'd known there is a local taxi company that will drive even large dogs, I could just have made a quick phone call.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest PhillyPups

In a pinch with Zeus (he was not a tripod) a big boy, I made a sling with a sweatshirt, moreso as a stabilizer. The sweatshirt was more comfortable on his skin than a towel as they are iso soft, and I wrapped the sleeves around my hand for a better grip.

I know with me, adrenaline kicks in and my own strength can amaze me.

Good thread, and Kyle you and Charlie remain in my prayers.

I ordered the stretcher from BellasPainRelief last night, and she has offered free shipping to anyone on GT who orders a stretcher before May 1, 2012, use coupon code "freeship". I will start another thread for this as well :)

the link is in an earlier post, but it is http://www.bellaspai...ort-489-ctg.htm

wait! shipping code may change :) I will update.

Edited by Remolacha

It's a question that troubles me too, and probably the most painful thing I had to consider when my last dog was terminal. I could not carry him (75 pounds), and he needed to be healthy enough to jump into the car to be taken to be put down. How do you decide when it's time given those constraints? It was brutally painful for me to think about.

I always figured if I had to, I would put a blanket under him and drag him. I also figured adrenelin would allow me to lift him into the car in an emergency (I have an SUV and it's quite high).

My brother's ex-wife got custody of their 115 dog, and sadly the dog died suddenly in the middle of the night, and she awoke to a cold dead dog next to her bed. She couldn't even move the poor dog so she had to call my brother to come do it. Very sad.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry if this has been suggested already ~~~

I have a long Snow Sled... not the wood kind,, but rather a sturdy plastic that is quite narrow and has a lip around the edge (think shallow tub)

I figure I can get any dog onto that,, either with a blanket or by lifting half the body at a time..

then I can pull the sled to my car and shove it into the back of my van. I don't know if a dog would actually STAY in that,, maybe they would and realize i was trying

to help.

I always keep my cell phone on me too... with my vet on speed dial -- a must

i do like the idea of keeping a rectal valium available too.

I am one to plan ahead and work things out ~ I don't like thinking about it all, but i like having a plan.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thanks Kyle for starting this thread (although my heart did sink when I saw the subtitle, but I was very happy when I continued reading the post).

First of all, I asked Dr. Couto for something for the pain that I could give him that would react quicker than a pill. He offered me a syringe of Buprenex which can be administered subcutaneously or (a bit faster option) intramuscularly. He suggested injecting into the muscle just "above" the hips; where love handles would be on a human. I also need to ask him if I should try to give some percocet (I have this for my own pain) if I am 100 percent sure that euthanasia is the only option. It takes 55 minutes to fully kick-in with me, but depending on circumstances, it might take that long to get him to a vet.

As to in home euthanasia: I have found that vets around here need 24 hours notice. They really don't offer an emergency-in home euthanasia. I do remember reading several years ago about someone starting up an animal ambulance service. Don't know if it is still in business or what their turn-around time is. Another thing for me to look into.

Regarding the stretcher on wheels with a mesh covering. I absolutely love this idea, but it won't fit in my Taurus. The maximum width for loading a 45 inch length into the back seat is about 14 inches. The door just doesn't open wide enough. I would imagine that most, if not all, sedans would have the same problem. A portion of the rear seat back can fold down, sort of opening up the trunk to the main cabin area. If the dog were strapped down so he couldn't try to get up, it might be possible to load him into the trunk (head first) so that his head is on the top of the folded down rear seat back and his rear is in the trunk. I will have to play around with this idea to see if it would work and whether the stretcher would allow me to use the edge of the trunk (the trunk lip) to leverage the stretcher into the car.

Just though about a 3rd thing that I need to look into: Would splinting the leg be helpful? In other words, would it reduce the pain or prevent further pain? If so, what do I need to keep on hand for splinting it. Does it make sense to take the time to do this?

Of course, my first prayer is that I won't need to do any of this for Joe and that he will tell me he's ready before the leg breaks. My second prayer is if the leg has to break, that it happens when I have lots of neighbors around to help.

I have put together a "Help Joey" kit. I put all of the following into a box:

muzzle

buprenex injection

sturdy blanket

spare car key

copy of drivers license and credit card (so I don't have to look for my purse)

Phone numbers (home and cell) of all people who would be willing to help, in order of calling sequence (i.e. I don't want to get flustered and not call the most likely to help)

1)My friend Lora (she does not work and would drop everything to come. It would take her 20 minutes to get here from home but she could start the trip while I am trying to find someone else).

2)My best friend on the street. If she isn't home, she can call her friends in the area who might be willing to help .

3)The rest of my neighbors

I have also put all of these numbers into my cell phone listed as Joe 1, Joe 2 etc. -- so once again my brain doesn't have to think.

Jane

I ordered the stretcher from BellasPainRelief last night, and she has offered free shipping to anyone on GT who orders a stretcher before May 1, 2012, use coupon code "freeship". I will start another thread for this as well :)

the link is in an earlier post, but it is http://www.bellaspai...ort-489-ctg.htm

wait! shipping code may change :) I will update.

I just spoke with the lovely lady who owns this online store. She indicated that she will be creating a "coupon code" that people in the continental US can use when purchasing one of these stretchers. For those of you in Canada, she will be offering a shipping discount (about an equivalent dollar value to the free US shipping).

She agreed that trying to load a dog through a trunk in a sedan might be feasible. I also found out a little bit more about how the mesh works. The mesh is attached along the length of just one side of the stretcher. Once the dog is on the stretcher, the mesh is placed over the top of the dog. Then the 3 straps are used to secure the dog to the stretcher. At the bottom of the stretcher (where the wheels are), the mesh cover attaches to a length of velcro. The dog's legs can stick out of the side of the stretcher mesh, so the legs don't have to be bent as shown in the picture.

So now I just need to figure out if I can lift one end of the loaded stretcher (17 pounds of stretcher, plus 70 pounds of dog) up on to the lip of my trunk opening. I think it would be a little easier for me if the wheel end goes in first. I'll have to ask if a dog can be put on with his head at the normal foot of the stretcher. Getting a ramp might be a good idea.

Actually the best Idea would be to scrap the Taurus and get a minivan. :colgate

Jane

I think Jane has the right idea. I would want to have meds on hand that would make my dog more comfortable - a pain medication and something to lightly sedate the dog, both fast acting. And cell phone numbers pre-programmed (on speed dial) into my phone so that if this happened, I would need to grab only the meds and the phone. The meds would be used to make the dog more comfortable while I could get help. And if help truly wasn't available, then at least once the meds kicked in, you'd have a better chance of leaving the dog to get the stretcher or whatever you've decided to use.

It is a horrible thing to think about, but Jane mentioning it in the osteo thread was the first time it had ever crossed my mind. I think it's great for people to think about this and have a game plan in place if the worst does happen. Which of course I hope never does for sweet Charlie.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Actually the best Idea would be to scrap the Taurus and get a minivan. :colgate

And a handsome pool boy. cool.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest larock

Maybe your Vet can give you something to give him. I believe Dr Couto set Jane (joejoesmom) up with a shot of pain medicine. I do not know how your local police are but would they be able to be on call.

I know I have been there. I was lucky, the neighbor was home.

I agree, pain meds would be the first thing to have on hand. We always have Tramadol or Medcam on hand but for an emergency like this you would need something stronger. It would be somewhat easier to move a drugged and calmer dog. JMPO. Also the stretcher idea is a good one.

I'm glad you're thinking about these things, it's not a pleasant thought but neither is the thought of your DW having to manage something like this on her own.