Need Some Input Please

Jane - in my case, I would not have splinted. The leg was so badly mangled that I could only imagine it would be more painful to try to secure it. I think injectable pain management or sedation would be a much safer/easier option.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

You want to pick up adjustable strapping at the store so that you could harness your dog onto the plywood and dolly.

From my experience, this would be a must, unless your pup is completely immobile. Piaget was not, she was frightened, and I don't see any way she would have been transported this way without being restrained.

I think this depends on the dog. Berkeley would have freaked out being strapped down. Again, hard to say what he would do in his shocky state - but I wouldn't have put that on my list of potential options for him because I know how, in normal situations, he would react. For some dogs, though, this might be the perfect situation.

I honestly don't believe that I would have been able to get Piaget lying down on a stretcher, and even if I had, been able to transport her - restraints or no - without serious issues.......unless she had been sedated.

So, on further thought, I guess based on my experience I would have to recommend that the number one thing at the top of a "plan of action" would be 1) a muzzle (which we did muzzle immediately), followed by 2) something to sedate if your vet would give you something to have on-hand. Any of the other suggestions would work in an emergency if you are not able to carry your pup, and if you were alone when it happened - and all would be easier if the pup were sedated.

As for splinting, we felt we had no choice but to wrap Piaget's leg, which we did with some vet wrap. But then again, hers was a compound fracture, and even though she may have been able to 3 leg it, any movement at all for her caused the leg to, for lack of a better description, hang and swing which caused her immense pain. I don't think securing it could have caused her any more pain than she was already in. We also wrapped to try to stop the heavy bleeding. Given, this was all done as quickly as we possibly could in order to get her to the vet ASAP, but wrapping and securing the leg felt like a must for us.

Edited by PiagetsMom

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a good conversation with our local vet and he has provided us with some morphine, valium and another drug in the event of an emergency. We really like our vet and he was very accommodating and loves Charlie (he calls him 'Chuck'). We also have his cell phone number in case of emergency so now I just need to determine how DW would move Charlie if this was ever to occur. I plan to speak to a neighbour who works from home as he would be able to help I believe.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So I had a good conversation with our local vet and he has provided us with some morphine, valium and another drug in the event of an emergency. We really like our vet and he was very accommodating and loves Charlie (he calls him 'Chuck'). We also have his cell phone number in case of emergency so now I just need to determine how DW would move Charlie if this was ever to occur. I plan to speak to a neighbour who works from home as he would be able to help I believe.

This sounds like a good plan. I sure hope you never have to use it though. Getting a vet to prescribe morphine would be very difficult here I think. I believe it is in the top tier of controlled substances. I remember giving liquid morphine to my Mom in her last days (she died from lung cancer that metastasized pretty much everywhere). I would put it in her mouth and I think it started working pretty quickly. I also have valium on hand. If you get a chance, could you check and let me know what the third drug is?

I am sure your neighbor would be happy to help if he were home. Is there any chance of finding a back up person? Would your vet be willing to come to the house after hours or send someone from the practice (vet assistant or tech) to help your wife get him to the office during regular hours? You could also ask your friends, even someone who is 10 or 15 minutes away is better than no one.

I know what a relief it can be to at least have a plan in place.

But I sure hope Charlie is one of the lucky ones who goes years and years.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

I just spoke with the lovely lady who owns this online store. She indicated that she will be creating a "coupon code" that people in the continental US can use when purchasing one of these stretchers. For those of you in Canada, she will be offering a shipping discount (about an equivalent dollar value to the free US shipping).

She agreed that trying to load a dog through a trunk in a sedan might be feasible. I also found out a little bit more about how the mesh works. The mesh is attached along the length of just one side of the stretcher. Once the dog is on the stretcher, the mesh is placed over the top of the dog. Then the 3 straps are used to secure the dog to the stretcher. At the bottom of the stretcher (where the wheels are), the mesh cover attaches to a length of velcro. The dog's legs can stick out of the side of the stretcher mesh, so the legs don't have to be bent as shown in the picture.

So now I just need to figure out if I can lift one end of the loaded stretcher (17 pounds of stretcher, plus 70 pounds of dog) up on to the lip of my trunk opening. I think it would be a little easier for me if the wheel end goes in first. I'll have to ask if a dog can be put on with his head at the normal foot of the stretcher. Getting a ramp might be a good idea.

Actually the best Idea would be to scrap the Taurus and get a minivan. :colgate

Jane

Any chance there's an active coupon code at this time? I think I may buy this stretcher to have on hand, just in case..

This sounds like a good plan. I sure hope you never have to use it though. Getting a vet to prescribe morphine would be very difficult here I think. I believe it is in the top tier of controlled substances. I remember giving liquid morphine to my Mom in her last days (she died from lung cancer that metastasized pretty much everywhere). I would put it in her mouth and I think it started working pretty quickly. I also have valium on hand. If you get a chance, could you check and let me know what the third drug is?

I am sure your neighbor would be happy to help if he were home. Is there any chance of finding a back up person? Would your vet be willing to come to the house after hours or send someone from the practice (vet assistant or tech) to help your wife get him to the office during regular hours? You could also ask your friends, even someone who is 10 or 15 minutes away is better than no one.

Jane

Hi Jane,

The third drug is Ketamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine). All three are liquids to be injected so they should react quickly and they are the three our vet would turn to reduce pain in a pup quickly.

I hope Joe is doing well. I think of you both often.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Any chance there's an active coupon code at this time? I think I may buy this stretcher to have on hand, just in case..

Not sure you need a coupon code. I had decided that this is exactly what I need, so last Friday I went to Amanda's link (Thank you, Amanda,) and ordered it. 30 minutes later I received an email from Ronnie of BellasPainRelief.com, saying that he noticed that I had come from GreyTalk and was refunding my shipping charge. The refund showed up promptly on my on-line credit card statement.

The stretcher isn't here yet, but I'll update when it arrives.

Need I say, I'm really impressed.

I ordered the stretcher, and it came in a few days (very quickly!). It was pretty easy to assemble, even for a klutz like me :rolleyes: I hope I never have to use it, but it is such a relief to know I have it! I think I will see if my vet will give me some kind of sedative to have on hand, I know that would help.

Jane

Hi Jane,

The third drug is Ketamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine). All three are liquids to be injected so they should react quickly and they are the three our vet would turn to reduce pain in a pup quickly.

Just wanted to mention that when you inject ketamine IM it stings like a bugger! Please be very careful if you ever need to administer it in that way (fingers crossed you will never ever need it).

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thank you Kyle.

I remember when Shelby was given ketamine before a surgery many years ago. She had major hallucinations. I had stayed in the exam room with her because she is so frightened to be left alone at the vet. I felt so bad for her. But she was just having a facial laceration repaired. If it would help the horrible pain of a pathological fracture I would have no problem giving it to Joe.

Since I believe ketamine is used by certain addicts to get high, I would guess it would also be very difficult for me to get here in the states. But I can always ask.

Jane

I ordered the stretcher as well. Hopefully, I will never have to use it. I've let my walker know that if she ever needs to use it for one of her clients she can take it. She is so good when she sees any of her dogs in trouble, she takes them straight to the vet.

I have some Tramadol. I will ask about something stronger when we see the vet soon.

Wow, it sounds like I should have coordinated some sort of commission on those wheeled stretchers!

lol.gif

I'm glad that the company has turned out really decent because I found that site through a google search and have no personal experience with the product or the company.

Edited by revamp

~Amanda

This happened to me last year. Thankfully it wasn't a broken limb but it was a back injury and Milky Way could not walk, both back legs were useless and he could not stand at all. I had never thought about what I would do and DH was not home. I'm a 5'2 peanut and Milky Way is 85 pounds. I was a lot stronger that day than I've ever been in my life. I ran to the car(Toyota Corolla) opened the door cleared the back seat and threw down a bunch of pillows and a comformtor to raise the floor area level to the seat. I opened the front door to the house and propped it open. I went to the back room muzzled him(DON"T FORGET THIS PART) and then I used a towel to help me lift him(read that on here) to a semi standing position, he tired to hold himself up and started to fall but that gave me just the second I needed to scope him up from underneath. I had no idea if I would be able to lift him but right before I did I said to myself " YOU HAVE TO DO THIS" It took every ounce of strength I had but I made it all the way from the bedroom, down the hall, down the front steps, and to the car. On a normal day I could never have done this my adrenaline was so high I think it gave me the strength I needed.

I called the vets on the way and they had someone waiting to help me when I got there. The injury in the end was spinal swelling and Milky Way recovered after a long several weeks and it was touch and go but at the time I assumed the worst. I remember walking down the hall carrying him tears coming down my face thinking to myself you can't drop him you owe it to him to get him to the vets.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc