Google Dog

Guest Garwood

Guest Garwood

Hi, Everyone-

Long-time dog owner, first-time greyhound owner posting from suburban Philadelphia. In 1999, I was between dogs. I always thought greyhounds were cool, so I decided to adopt one. Remember, this was 1999. I didn't have the internet at home. I was searching for my new dog via 'want ads' and Dog Fancy magazine. I found a local greyhound adoption agency and called them. (It was not NGAP.) They invited me to 'dog day', which was held monthly at a place about an hour drive away. i went. Met some people. Hung out with their dogs. It was a fun experience. I filled out the application to adopt and went home. And waited. And waited. After a few weeks, I called them Long story short...

"What's up with my application? When can I come up and get a dog?"

"Sorry, your application has been denied."

"Huh?"

"We prefer our dogs are not left alone during the day."

"I have to go to work, you know."

"Sorry."

This really blew me away. I went to the 'safehouse'. I saw the people who had dogs. I felt I was much more a 'dog person' than most of the people I met. Some even told me their greyhound was the first dog they ever owned. Yet, I was not worthy? I'm not gonna lie. I was really put off by people who, to me, seemed more interested in their little social club than the welfare of homeless dogs. I asked, flat out, "Do you have more homes than dogs, or more dogs than homes?" They said, "Oh, we have way more dogs than homes." I was infuriated. "You people are crazy." Again, this was not NGAP. (In the years that followed, every greyhound owner I encountered told me they got their dog through NGAP.)

So, Back to Dog Fancy. I found a wold class breeder of Italian Greyhounds, and got a pup. He was with us for 12 wonderful years. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. He passed away this summer. We'll never forget him.

Our house isn't a home without a dog. Tye time had come. rather than get another pup, I decided to go for an adult dog- a used dog, if you will. Ideally, one that maybe just ran into some bad luck and needed a break. I wanted a bigger dog, too. The local SPCAs are overrun by pitbulls. (I will leave this one for another thread, or another message board.) Petfinder listings seemed to be way out of date. Some adoption programs had way too many rules (for me). All but one breed-specific rescue did not respond to my calls or emails. The one that did get back to me, a month later, was too late.

Here's where google comes in. "greyhound adoption phila" is all it took for NGAP and Greyhound Angels to pop up. NGAP requires a fee for applications to be considered. GAA works a little differently, so I went there, first. ("Just come over.")

Ira, at GAA, gave me the nickle tour. I was impressed with the people who worked there and how they ran things. Ira asked a bunch of questions to get a feeling for what type of dog would be best suited for my household. He nailed it pretty well. The first dog he showed me was a black female who had just been spayed. She was nice, but a little skittish and indifferent toward me. Next! turned out to be the dog I eventually brought home, Garwood. He's a Plain Jane red boy, with big black eyebrows and Homer Simpson whiskers. He seemed playful. He really enjoyed the treats I gave him. He ran around a little, but always came back and leaned on me. Yep, he's a leaner. That's just what I wanted; a velcro dog. Sold! Needless to say, I never made it to NGAP.

We brought Garwood home on Black Friday. He's worked out wonderfully. I couldn't be happier. Other than some epic gas, at first, and barking at guys with shaggy hair (can't figure that one out), he has no issues at all. None. He lets the cat rub his legs. He comes when our parrot calls him. He pays no attention to our ducks. He settles down right away in my truck. He's never pulled on his lead. We walk down the main drag in town. Nothing seems to faze him. He goes to the door when he has to 'go'. One thing I find amusing is he will challenge strangers for a seat on the furniture, but corrects easily and gets down with a simple 'no'.

After a few days at his new home, it became obvious that people dedicated a tremendous amount of time working with this dog. I am still amazed at how well he handles. I called GAA to have them thank his foster parents for me. "He wasn't fostered. He went from the track to his kennel, to our facility, to your house." Whaaaaa? . It's so hard to believe a dog that's never been inside a house behaves so well. How much is nature? How much is nurture? Who knows?

Anyway...... thanks to google, I have a new best-est buddy. Hopefully, I'll get to know some GreyTalkers, too. Please, be patient. It will take me a while to catch up enough to understand the inside jokes.

OK, OK. Enough for now. Sorry for such a long first post. Sorry it's taken over six weeks. I tried to write this several times before, but something always came up and I never finished. Sorry, if I ruffled anyone's feathers with anything I've written. I'm not out to stir things up. I've enjoyed reading the board. Grey Talk seems like it's made up of real dog people. The site is packed full of information. There are so many wonderful stories. There are some heartbreaking ones, as well. Good, or bad, it's nice to have friends to share these things with.

Garwood's dad is Kiowa Sweet Trey, so I know he has some relatives here.

Oh, yeah- I'm a guy. So, that makes five of us, now. :neener

Thanks, Jeff!

Welcome from the cornfields of Illinois (and one of the five). :lol

You forgot the :rules . We need :digicam .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Did anyone else enjoy the statement "He comes when our parrot calls him" other than me? :thumbs-up

Congrats on finding your new buddy - and like everyone else says - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Did anyone else enjoy the statement "He comes when our parrot calls him" other than me? :thumbs-up

Congrats on finding your new buddy - and like everyone else says - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!

Yup....we need video of that!

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Welcome to the Grey community...from the gulfside of Florida!

Yep, we MUST see pics of your new gentleman, Garwood (love his name!)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Welcome!

We have some friends who had a conure. They also had a bunch of whippets and greyhounds, including a naughty greyhound named Pooch DuJour. (Pooch is at the bridge and I think their daughter now has the bird, not sure...) The bird learned to say "Wanna go out?" and all the dogs would rush to the door. He also learned to say, "BAAAAAD Pooch!" lol.gif

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Yup....we need video of that!

(there are now five of you?)

:rofl That struck me, too.

Things fall the way they are meant to. Congratulations on Garwood coming home! And yeah, we have to have pics!

I have to tell you, ten years ago my Pal was the same way: from track, to his extreme make-over, to adoption rep overnight, to home, and he was the perfect greyhound and how I became "FiveRoooooers". Jess sayin' ... ;)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Garwood

MUST... HAVE... PICS!

Welcome, brother-from-another-mother! My Summer is your half-sister! KST pups are great!

Thanks, Everyone.

I thought I had a pic in my first post. Let me try it a different way.

OwnedBySummer, I've seen your dog in your sig and wondered if we were related. I have another question for you, also.

And, yes, Garwood starts twirling around in a frenzy and runs to the front door, when Albert the parrot says, "wanna go pee pee?" Albert also says many other things, especially during football games. :o

KUvsShip032511057.jpg

Welcome to GreyTalk! And, greetings from Miami where another of Garwood's sisters-from-another-mother lives. Wendy is a KST pup, too.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest barkdogs

Welcome!!! I have three hounds, all from GAA, and I also live in Philly! I am so glad you finally got your hound. Also I am glad you had an IG--I have an old one eyed toothless IG named Sophie who is a jewel. I think I remember Garwood--a sweet and very handsome guy. Thank you for giving him a forever home!

Adelaide

Handsome boy!!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Aaawww, Garwood! :wub: He's gorgeous!!

Welcome to GT from Maine! :welcome2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Ira, at GAA, gave me the nickle tour. I was impressed with the people who worked there and how they ran things. Ira asked a bunch of questions to get a feeling for what type of dog would be best suited for my household. He nailed it pretty well.

Ha! I got the "nickel tour" as well- I told Ira I was "just looking". Yeah, sure.... :rolleyes: I ended up filling out Topper's application that day. And you're right- they nailed it.

Garwood sounds like he's doing well- good luck with him! Hopefully we'll see you and Garwood at some events- check the GAA board for Meet & Greet info and about the UNO's fundraiser on Jan 30th!

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

Handsome pup! Oh...and you've lost an afghan....:lol