Our Senior Jimmy Is Losing Weight

Yea! That is excellent news. Well in comparison to so many other possibilities. Cannot help you with the decision on how to go about removal. All I know had the usual surgical approach.

Sending good thoughts for a quick removal & rapid recovery.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult decision. If the "operator" is very skilled, maybe it can be gotten out quickly, then again, may have to go in &

get it anyway. I guess I'd just have to hope a trusted vet would point you in the right direction.

Many prayers coming your way.....keep us posted.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Well, our vet can do the surgery but does not have overnight care so Jimmy will be going to U of I for the "removal". I am hoping they can fit him in tomorrow so that he could come home for the weekend with our 24/7 care. Our vet is feeling endoscopy will be safer for Jimmy. Jimmy bruises terribly when he has a simple blood draw so I imagine recovery from incisions might be difficult. I guess I will have to trust the judgement of whoever ends up doing the surgery. On a positive note, two vets we talked to today at U of I have greyhounds. Thanks for all your support. Jey, is I/D prescription food?

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Yes, prescription, but most any vet will carry it or the equivalent. Hill's version is I/D ("Intestinal Diet"), Purina's is EN, I think there's at least one other -- extra easy to digest canned food.

U of I is good because they are likely very experienced with endoscopy and will know if they stand a good chance of getting it that way or not. Hoping whichever procedure your boy has, it goes extra well and he is home with you -- and eating! -- soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Foreign body is WAY better than anything else! You've at least got a concrete answer as to what is going on with him. Good thoughts that they can get it out and that Jimmy recovers quickly :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yay for foreign body, and U of I sounds like a good way to go! You and Jimmy are in our thoughts and prayers for an easy trip, procedure and recovery.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Having the endoscopy would allow an immediate recovery. If they have to cut him (gastronomy) it will be a lengthier recovery-- it will involve a careful feeding plan, sutures, pain meds, e- collar etc AND Amicar. Please remind the Drs there that GH's can be bleeders and it is suggested by Dr Couto that they should start Amicar the day of surgery.

Holding good thoughts for your boy- keep us posted!

Thanks for the reminder on the Amicar. The more I read your responses and think about how fragile Jimmy is, the more endoscopy seems to be a better option. I do not think we will nave much if any say about the surgery but I trust our vet to try to speak to the surgeon about Jimmy. Initially I was feeling very relieved about Jimmy having something"fixable" but the worry is setting in as I realize the surgery is more involved than I though. Thanks again for all your thoughts. I will post when surgery is scheduled (hopefully in the morning).

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

From our point of view, yeah, the surgery is scary. From a vet's point of view, though, the surgery really isn't a big deal. So try not to worry too much if things trend that way, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so glad they found something that is removable! Good luck with the surgery.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Jimmy should be in surgery now. We decided to have the vets try endoscopy first as it would be much less risky for our senior and much faster recovery. If endoscopy does not work, they will continue on with abdominal surgery. Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.

Will be waiting for an update!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear it's nothing worse! Sending the very best of good wishes for his ultrasound/surgery, whichever they decide to do.

I'd trust their judgement, too. There are pros and cons both ways - even with a simple endoscopy there is a possibility of damage to the oesophagus (I remember signing for that one when I had mine done) so with a FB retrieval the risk would go up. The vets (especially at a teaching school) will make the right call. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Vet just called and said that they removed two items which she described as leather baby bootie like but that a third larger object is still "stuck". Unfortunately they are now going to have to do the abdominal surgery. The surgeon called and said Jimmy would be in surgery at least an hour, longer if they feel items in the intestines.

Continued prayers for Jimmy :hope

Just seeing the update from yesterday. PM'ing you with my cell number if we can help. We are around all weekend and next week.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Surgeon just called. Jimmy is out of surgery and doing ok. They had some trouble with his blood pressure a couple times during the surgery but were able to stablize him. It is unclear what was actually removed but it may have been a dog boot which he had worn for a minor skin tear. They are going to save the items so we can see them. They took a biopsy of the stomach, and the liver (because they saw a bit of scaring). Fortunately they did not need to get anything out of the intestines and the stomach looked "good". He will remain at U of I until at least Sunday. If he is doing well, we can get him then. Thanks for all your prayers and positive thoughts! So far, so good.