Fractured Femur

Guest mattbta

Guest mattbta

Tuesday night I heard my male greyhound barking in the bedroom. He normally jumps on the bed and barks at the female and the iggy to get them to play. Moments later, he emits a GSOD that doesn't stop. I run to him and he is standing on one hind leg, holding the other off the ground. I move the injured leg slightly and it just swings freely. I carried him to the Tahoe and we went to the e-vet. The x-ray showed a fracture of the femur, starting high, running the length of the bone and exiting the other side just above the knee. The break was clean and there were no spots like I've seen on osteo x-rays.

He has no tumors nor has he ever limped, so a fracture like this seems odd. The day before, he was fine and doing zoomies with his sister in the back yard. Surgery was eminent but would have to wait until the morning for an ortho. The e-vet asked if she could keep him overnight and splint the leg while applying fluids and pain medication. We opted to leave him there as they would be more equipped to handle any issues that should arise.

Around 2AM, the e-vet called to inform us he passed. The story we got was he was taken out to potty (rather strange here) and collapsed. They placed him on life support but he didn't pull through. They believe he may have thrown a clot.

Do you think it was osteo? I just can't fathom it nor put all the pieces together as he went from being healthy and vibrant to a broken leg to dead in less than six hours. I've come to terms with the finality of it, but can't wrap my head around what happened.

Thanks,

-Matt

I was shocked to read this. My heart goes out to you. Hugs

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Would having some kind of postmortem exam be possible -- of the broken bone, at least, which would be less expensive? (And is it possible to have a different vet practice do it? You might get a more honest answer that way.) I'm so sorry for the speed and shock of your loss, and the loss itself. :(

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest mattbta

Would having some kind of postmortem exam be possible -- of the broken bone, at least, which would be less expensive? (And is it possible to have a different vet practice do it? You might get a more honest answer that way.) I'm so sorry for the speed and shock of your loss, and the loss itself. :(

Unfortunately, my wife was so shocked when the call came that she asked to have him cremated. That would have definitely been a chance to get more answers.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have heard this happening before, I'm sorry that you lost him so suddenly.

My best friend's greyhound had a terrible fracture. Clean break, high on the leg. the vet Pinned it together and it never healed properly, so they ended up

amputating that leg. The dog came thru the amputation very well, and at the vet's, during a potty break just tipped over and passed away. They too think this

was throwing a clot. This dog was healthy previously, no sign of limping, osteo or anything.

I am sorry you and your family are going thru this

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so sorry. This is basically what happened to my Jack this past June. It is so shocking and hard to accept. :grouphug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest Energy11

First, my condolences for your loss. I know what a shock it was for you!

As a retired paramedic, I HAVE seen what you described in a human. We were called to the house of a 20s-something male. His wife woke up, found him unresponsive and called EMS. The DAY before, this young man had broken his upper arm (it was a bad break). When we arrived, the man had obviously passed, and we called the proper authorities to deal with this.

We later found out from the wife, that they did determine he had thrown a clot (determined by autopsy).

So, yes, your baby could definitely have thrown a clot, and once it moves "north" into the lungs and heart, there is little you can do.

God Speed your baby!

Guest mattbta

So very sorry to hear this. I wonder if he was related to my girl Ruby? Her name was Cayenne Pantera. Hugs to all.

I checked the lineage and it seems they are not related, but her owner is the same. I've got her email address if you want to contact her. Padre came from Multnomah down to Texas. Looks like your litter was named after cars where ours was after baseball teams.

Again, thanks for the comments everyone.

I am very sorry for the sudden loss of your boy. Could have been Osteo, sure, as it often presents itself first when a pup suffers a fracture. As for his quick passing a clot does make the most sense and I am truly sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh my God, how horrible. That was a terrible terrible shock.

As far as being OS, that can't be answered without the autopsy. But both cancer and breaks can cause blood clots. So, it's very feasible.

While I haven't had an unexpected loss such as yours, I've lost 5 babies and no matter how or when they go, it still excrutiatingly painful.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Oh dear, how horrible.

I had a beautiful six year old cat make a weird noise, and fall over dead. It's SO horrifying and shocking when what you think is a perfectly healthy animal just DIES.

I opted for no necropsy, but the vet said it could have been a clot, aneurism, massive heart attack. In any case, she said when they die like that, there's nothing I could have done for him even if I hadn't stood there holding him and wondering what was going on.

So sorry for you loss.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

First, my condolences for your loss.

I am not a vet or vet tech, just a greyhound owner with too much experience with osteo. The Osteo eats away at the bone so it looks like Swiss cheese. We have had a leg bone break, x-rays showed no sign of cancer. Six weeks later with the next x-ray the bone was eaten away with osteo. As with people, greyhound can throw a clot at any time. From my understanding a broken bone (in dogs and humans) as you described would be a prime candidate to throw a clot.

If it were my greyhound, I would feel this is what happened? Not knowing what happened can be very upsetting.

I see where he was 9 years old. He was at the prime age for osteo.

Again, my condolences.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I am so very sorry to read this. I am very sorry for your loss.

If you really need an answer, and I can understand that, can they review the x-rays if they took any? I ask because I have been having my own healthy issues this week with Aquitaine. At one point I saw two of her films up on the screen. I was almost tempted to ask them to review her bones for anything suspicious since they were there. I decided not to as I was already too tramautized. If there are films to review, that might help you to get a handle on what happened.

Again, I am just so very sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. The most common cause of sudden death after a fracture is throwing a clot. As others have mentioned, it happens in people as well as dogs. Regarding the underlying cause of the fracture, IMO a major fracture with minimal trauma in an older dog is cancer until proven otherwise. And of course, in a greyhound, the most common cancer would be osteosarcoma. There have been a number of other cases where osteo presented as an acute fracture with no previous problems and not even any obvious signs of cancer on the initial x-rays. Btw, it's not strange at all for an e-vet clinic to take dogs out to potty in the middle of the night.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg