Any Advice For Nube? *** Another Good Updt Post #93!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, thank you so much for checking in on how he's doing!!!! I'm sorry it's taken me until now to post, been a crazy day! And honestly, I didn't want to jinx anything :)

Nube was still not using the leg/foot this morning when Bruce and I got him out after breakfast (before Bruce left at 7am)…he then was snoozing for a couple hours while I did stuff around here and when I went to check on him (and do the warm compress) around 10am, his foot was down CONSIDERABLY! It’s still swollen but way down from what it was yesterday. I took him out with the sling after lunch (12:15pm) and he was still 3 legged.

Well, about 15 minutes ago, I heard him get up and low and behold he made the single step from the living room into the dining room on his own! He was putting some weight on the foot! He needed to go out, so I led him by the collar to the door and leashed him up, and then realized the sling was still in the living room :( I couldn’t leave him right there as I was afraid he’d try to go down the stairs :( so I took a leap of faith and we went out with no sling – I was planning on using the leash (as we had been) to support the front a bit and use my arm under his tuck to lift his legs (I used to do that for 85 lb lab Chester) – but HE DIDN’T NEED IT! He went RIGHT out, beautifully, like a PRO! :yay he walked around the yard some, took a BIG tinky :) walked UP the hill and across the top and took a BIG dukey too :) then down the hill and went perfectly up the stairs into the house!!! He was favoring it more again after he had been out the few minutes, but I'm sure that's normal. :)

I cannot tell you HOW happy I am that he is improving this well. I was (as you could tell) VERY worried and freaking out yesterday, he was THAT bad :( but I called the doctor yesterday afternoon and he suggested putting him on Rimadyl for the swelling and I said I still had some Prednisone left, so he got a ½ pill last night and another 1/2 this morning, and I really think that in combo with the antib’s is what is working! :)

I’m still crossing my fingers and praying he just keeps improving – but this is SO huge and I am SO happy I cannot tell you :):yay

once again the power of GT works wonders!!!! please keep it coming! :):D:yay

Kim :)

ps. as far as getting the object out -- the doctor(s) do NOT want to open him up and dig around in there while the infection is this bad and the swelling was so bad. If the swelling doesn't go down, then I guess they'd have no choice, but they really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary (which I hope is not the case!)...

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

So glad to hear he is better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great news!!!!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Yay, Nubes!!! We can breathe out a collective sigh of relief!! I hope the infection keeps healing since he is not out of the woods yet! B)

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

just a quick update :)

Nubes continues to improve – his foot is still swollen some, but I would say a 1 or 1.5 (from the 10 it was) so 100% better! :) he’s walking on it and doesn’t need the sling at this point (hope that continues!). He actually was bouncy just a bit ago when it was time for dinner (B was in the living room with him but he was VERY happy I was making dinner) – just like our old Nubes. REALLY good to see. :)

We got the steroid refilled for a few more days, so we’ll keep him on the meds for a bit more then see what the next step is – further exploration or nothing, if it goes back to normal. We still (obviously) have not even attempted steps and probably will not for a while (I just had Comcast come and run a new line to the living room so we “officially” have a “living” room now :) -- the only tv we've ever had/used was in the downstairs family room).

thanks again for the continued good thoughts!!!! they are working!!! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

This has been so scary, I am thrilled that things are turning around! What an awful way to end your vacation!

Hopefully, now that the meds are starting to do their work, whatever the foreign nasty is that caused all this trouble can start to work its way out.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I agree with Wendy, that had to be a stressful and harrowing "vacation". At least he is home now getting all the recovery he needs! I hope to hear more good updates. :colgate

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Hot diggity! Nube is back! :yay :yay :yay

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead