Any Advice For Nube? *** Another Good Updt Post #93!

hi, just hoping anyone might have some ideas on this?

we're down in Florida on vacation (Jensen Beach, about 40 miles north of Palm Beach, Atlantic side) -- have been here since Saturday the 26th of November. Last Wednesday (11/30), Nube started having pain in his right front paw -- limped pretty badly on the asphalt (we're in a trailer park, asphalt roads with some sidewalks and grass, but not much) but did much better on the grass and regular concrete. I went out and bought some Muttluks dog booties (not a TheraPaw, but all I could find) and it seemed to help. We took him to a vet down here the next day (12/1), did x-rays, nothing really showing. Kept him quiet, only short pee/potty walks. He seemed to get better but then got a little worse by Friday, but since yesterday was improving a lot.

So, last night, we got back from dinner around 8pm, fed and pottied them, Nube was fine. Went to take him out again at 11pm, he was favoring/holding up his back left paw. He limped some initially (Bruce kind of massaged it for a few seconds) and seemed better. Bruce checked his paw out when we got back and it was fine, not swollen at all. We HAD taken him and Larry to the beach around noon yesterday, but he only walked on the sand and I don't think stepped on anything? We were only on the beach for maybe 10 minutes total (short cuz of his other leg issue).

this morning, he woke up with a SUPER swollen paw and hock :( :( we took him back to the vet -- we did find a TINY little thorn in the bottom of his paw (like gnat sized) and the vet gave him a load of steroids and some more in pill form for the next few days...thinks it's a bug or critter bite of some kind.

well, I know I'm rushing the healing, but it looks like it's getting slightly worse to me -- the swelling's going up his leg a bit more (I think??) and it's definitely not going down (shot was at 10am, so it's only been 6 hours!).

any ideas??? I've googled and searched here, could it be cellulitis? an infection? there doesn't appear to be any open or oozing areas, it's just really swollen. We were supposed to leave early tomorrow morning to head home (3 day trip home) but are now not going until Friday, to see if it gets any better. Don't want to be on the road if it gets worse (but we HAVE to leave Friday, so if it does after that, I don't know what to do :().

I don't know whether to call the vet back and see if he can be put on some antibiotics along with the steroids??

here's a (crappy, sorry) pic of his leg :(

057.jpg

thanks in advance :( :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a bite, the steroids should help but takes 12 to 24 hours for steroids to really kick in. It may take a couple of days for you to see a lot of improvement.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Is the vet a long-time resident of the area? If not, then he(?) might not be aware that fall is when sand-spurs drop from their main plants. Watch out for areas that look like plain old, slightly weedy grass. Pictures and more info here. Don't be misled by the grossly enlarged photos. The sand-spurs I ran into as a kid (I grew up in Miami) were never more than a quarter of an inch--spurs and all.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

About all I can think of is:

-1- Make sure you go over that whole foot -- waaaaaaaaay up in between the toes, in between the pads, part the hair at the base of each toenail and look there. Use a flashlight. Last, run your fingers very lightly over the whole lower leg and foot -- sometimes if they've had a bee sting you can feel the stinger that way; dog hair is smooth, stinger is like a little piece of wire. Put his muzzle on before you do any of this .....

-2- Antibiotics such as Clavamox in case he's got an infection starting.

Fingers crossed he's much better by tomorrow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is the vet a long-time resident of the area? If not, then he(?) might not be aware that fall is when sand-spurs drop from their main plants.

Aaaah .. so that's what I trod on in Italy! Extremely painful, it was, and I found the tiniest 'thorn' in my toe. *Sigh*

Back to Nube .. is it possible he has septic arthritis? Do his joints feel hot? If so, get him back to the vet, because he'll need some heavy duty antibiotics.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If it's a bite, the steroids should help but takes 12 to 24 hours for steroids to really kick in. It may take a couple of days for you to see a lot of improvement.

yeah, the vet said 24-48 hours, I'm just really worried and keep hoping for even a SMALL improvement :(

Is the vet a long-time resident of the area? If not, then he(?) might not be aware that fall is when sand-spurs drop from their main plants. Watch out for areas that look like plain old, slightly weedy grass. Pictures and more info here. Don't be misled by the grossly enlarged photos. The sand-spurs I ran into as a kid (I grew up in Miami) were never more than a quarter of an inch--spurs and all.

that's what those are! we've picked some off all of us so far. We know what the plant is they're coming from so we've been avoiding them :( they're spikey!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

About all I can think of is:

-1- Make sure you go over that whole foot -- waaaaaaaaay up in between the toes, in between the pads, part the hair at the base of each toenail and look there. Use a flashlight. Last, run your fingers very lightly over the whole lower leg and foot -- sometimes if they've had a bee sting you can feel the stinger that way; dog hair is smooth, stinger is like a little piece of wire. Put his muzzle on before you do any of this .....

-2- Antibiotics such as Clavamox in case he's got an infection starting.

Fingers crossed he's much better by tomorrow.

we did check the foot pretty good last night, and this morning is when we noticed just a tiny tougher thing sticking out, which turned out to be the tiny thorn thing. It's so swollen now you can't even look well, but I'm confident it was clean last night?

Is the vet a long-time resident of the area? If not, then he(?) might not be aware that fall is when sand-spurs drop from their main plants.

Aaaah .. so that's what I trod on in Italy! Extremely painful, it was, and I found the tiniest 'thorn' in my toe. *Sigh*

Back to Nube .. is it possible he has septic arthritis? Do his joints feel hot? If so, get him back to the vet, because he'll need some heavy duty antibiotics.

I Googled that, and I'm thinking it's most likely not septic arthritis (but what do I know :()....it's not just the joint that's swollen, it's the whole foot and hock area. Right where the first bend is, there's a bit more on the front side of the skin area but not a lot, kind of slightly "pouchy" I guess.

I should have mentioned that is temp was fine at the vets (101.5) and I just stopped at the CVS here and picked up a digital thermometer and his temp (laying on the couch) was 100.5, so both are good. I would think with an infection it would be elevated? And, we gave him 50 mg of Benadryl at 9am this morning, and I gave him another 50 mg around 3:30pm or so. I had asked if I could along with the steroids and the dr. said it would not hurt him, but won't really do anything that the steroids won't...but I feel better if they do help, even a little.

I'm just so worried because it's so swollen, obviously causing discomfort and issues, and we're SO freaking far from home and I am worried if it doesn't get better, how will we get him home? I don't know if he's in any shape to travel. He's having such a difficult time moving around now, I can't imagine in the back of the van with all our stuff and it's hard enough as it is when he was fine. :(

Edited by RaineysMom

I think I'd be contacting the vet & asking about possible infection. Puncture wounds, even small ones, are something I really worry about. I & a couple other folks I know have had seemingly quite small punctures turn into ugly infections. This can happen very, very fast.

Good for you for getting the thermometer. That will be a bit of peace of mind if his temp stays normal. I still think I would contact the vet. The swelling is most disturbing.

Good his temp is normal.

I'd do what others have suggested...take a flashligt and re-check every inch of his entire foot and leg for more 'thorns'

Poor boy....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest mbfilby

I think I'd be contacting the vet & asking about possible infection. Puncture wounds, even small ones, are something I really worry about. I & a couple other folks I know have had seemingly quite small punctures turn into ugly infections. This can happen very, very fast.

Good for you for getting the thermometer. That will be a bit of peace of mind if his temp stays normal. I still think I would contact the vet. The swelling is most disturbing.

I agree with this. With that much swelling I'd be thinking spider bite or infection, especially if he had a foreign object embedded.

Guest mcsheltie

I would get antibiotics. Infection can start as a result of the swelling (edema and blood pooling in the swollen area can become infected) even if whatever he stepped on isn't the cause. I had a cat pull a muscle in a hind leg and the infection started from the by-products of the inflammation.

If the thorny things are that small you may not have gotten them all out either. May have stepped on something like a dried thistle head embedded in the sand. With the swelling you might not be able to find them. I doubt there will be any decrease in the swelling for a couple days. It is probably still increasing.

Last year Bijou developed a mass (fatty tissue) on the inside of her leg. This caused her food to swell. Vet gave her some antibiotics, I was the para-vet :lol here and would warm up damp towels in the microwave. Hot real hot, but damned warm :lol

Applied the warm compresses on the mass shrank in size and a day later her foot was back to normal size. Rub along her leg and see if you feel a bump that isn't usually there. It could be causing a circulation issue slowing the blood flow to her foot.

Greg and the Girls

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

sounds like sand spurs, but did your dogs run??? plain old sand burns, the sand at the beach is not as fine as the sand at the track,it causes havoc w/ their pads and the webbing inbetween the pads. it take no time what so ever for sand burns. if it's only sand spurs that you are dealing w/ call the vet you saw and ask about soaking their paws in epsom's salts, it helps draw the foreign objects out(i have also used massengel douch- it used to come in powdered form). if they are red and raw from running, then it's the complete opposite- keep the paw dry, i use medicated powder a couple of times a day. a dog's temps vary according to stress and activity.

your trip sounds like one of my nightmare trips to the keys. as soon as i got out of the car to set up the tent, DD(who was a toddler) got bite on the eye by some nasty bug- the entire side of her face swelled! ahhhh...what we pay for warmth and sunshine!

Edited by cleptogrey

hi guys,

his foot and hock is still swollen, but the area above the paw itself (hock?) is smaller and the paw is slightly smaller but both still very swollen. The foot does not feel quite as warm, doesn't appear to be as "red" under the fur so we're hoping it's going the right direction. I had really hoped that he'd be a lot better this morning :( There doesn't appear to be any oozing or weeping areas at all, it's just swollen. :( His temp was 100.2, which is a bit low but ok I think?

the bad thing is that he didn't eat much breakfast. This is a problem...Nube is a TOTAL food hound. He has NEVER refused ANY food whatsoever. We're hoping that the Pred or maybe the Benadryl is causing a lack of appetite, but I don't know and am very worried (those of you with food hounds know what I mean!). We're going to stop the Ben. He also is not drinking much if any water and only got some with the bit of breakfast he ate :( and pred is supposed to INCREASE thirst, so I'm worried.

we are now going to try to leave sometime this morning, instead of waiting until tomorrow, probably around noon. I just have a gut feeling I need to get him back ASAP :( I don't know how this is going to work -- last night it was more swollen (and he didn't like it touched) but he DID put some weight on it when out pottying -- but is a tripod this morning, but I can touch it better. So I just don't know, he's unsteady bad enough on solid ground, much less a loaded car (we have the crates under everything, then tons of rugs and blankets/beds on top -- not the "firmest" of ground, but comfy).

if you can all spare a prayer that we can get him back the 22 hours to Chicago safely, we'd sure appreciate it. :(

thanks again for all your help and kind words.

When we lived in Florida one of our greyhounds got a thorn in her foot. It swelled up so much it was the size of a deer's foot. She was fawn so it looked like that also. It was something like a 1 inch thorn.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Kim, So sorry to hear about Nube's foot! I'll be praying for him as that works better than anything I know. If you need to stop during your journey I hearby volunteer my son who has a Dog Daycare Center/Resort in Port Charlotte FL (PAWS Dog Daycare 941-258-3647) and further north I am 50 mile north of Louisville. You are welcome to stay at my farm as long as needed. Nube comes first! There is a most gifted awesome AHVMA vet/accupuncturist in Louisville (Dr. Boswell). My contact info is on the farm website www.gsthoroughbreds.com and my day # is 502-774-9226. Give my Gable Dodge guy a kiss for me! Have a safe journey.

Have a safe trip! Hope that Nube's foot resolves itself by the time you get home!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Yes Kim, have a safe trip. Wish there was something we could do. I will tell you something I forgot yesterday, I am not allergic to stinging insects, but I got stung by a wasp in the ankle bone in late August. My husband was not concerned and said it would top hurting in 20 minutes. Well, it hurt for 2 weeks, stayed swollen for at least a week, and I still have a black mark on my ankle from the sting and it's been over three months. I think it is where I got stung. It's possible Nube did get stung in a bad spot. Cold packs may help the swelling and feel good. But after 48 hours I think you're supposed to use warm. Kisses to Nube.

finalsiggy.jpg