Is Your Girl A Leg Lifter?

Guest Travelover

Guest Travelover

I've had my girl for two years, but I still consider myself a GH newbie.

In the last few months, she has started lifting her leg to pee. I'm curious if this is a common behavior or whether I should consider this change in behavior to be anything of concern. When I mentioned it to my vet, she thought it was sort of humorous.

My male whippet was a squatter - so I guess maybe it is part of a dog's personality?

My friend Jamie's hound Dash lifts a leg (partway, not as high as a male dog) to pee at least some of the time. Beth sort of momentarily lifts a paw off the ground sometimes, like she feels an impulse to lift her leg but can't quite pull it off.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Our Brandy used to lift her leg. She started just on those black trash bags that people leave at the curb. Then she began to do it a lot. I was told it was learned behavior from John E who was a constant leg lifter. Now I have three squatters; 2 boys and the girl. Once in a while Fuzzy will lift against a pole or tree and once in a great while Paul will lift. When he does, we stop and stare as it is so rare that he does.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Summer squats and waaaay lower down than I've ever seen a female dog squat. Her hoo-ha almost touches the ground. :lol But I do have a friend with a female grey who lifts her leg. With my previous non-grey dogs, both the male and female squatted.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest mountain4greys

My first greyhound Gracie will lift her leg if a male pee's on a tree. She'll try to mark it. Only one of my males lifts his leg, and not all the time, but if he does, Gracie is right there. She's always been a marker.

My female will lift her leg to mark over the boys. She will also back herself up against her target - almost like she is going to spray. Never a dull moment with this girl!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

No leg lifters really here. It took Red (male) 5 years before he would lift his leg and it was only on 1 tree at the park and it had to be on his right side. My girl would make it a point to climb up on stuff to pee on and it was quite humorous. She would also bury her poo like a cat. :blush

Ruby lifts her leg to pee if it's a spot she wants to mark, otherwise she squats.

She can get that leg quite high.

She and Nixon pee on each other, too.

:rolleyes:

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Bailey kinda lifted her leg at times...I just thought she was imitating Ben :) Brooke always squats. Ben does both, depending on whether there's something to lift his leg on.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Millie normally squats, but will occasionally leg-lift when she wants to overmark another dog's message on a bush or tree. she'll sniff there for a VERY long time then back up to it and lift her leg and go for max elevation.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest twogreytkids

Lindsey squats and then lifts her leg while squatting. The funny thing is that she doesn't lift the same leg each time. I think that she is "ambifooterous".

Marcy