Beth Having Xrays This Morning

Twice late last week, Beth was running and suddenly stopped and held up her left front foot (no previous problems with this one; her toe amputation is left rear). She took a limping step or two but then seemed perfectly fine. No problems over the weekend though she did only a ocuple of very short easy runs Saturday, no perceptible limp at all walking or trotting, and I've been watching closely. Then this morning at the park, she held up her foot twice again when she ran. (I did notice she didn't seem as eager to run as she often does, but it's hard to read that -- nothing super exciting was happening.)

My wonderful vet is right across the street from the park, so I took her right over. He came out and felt every bone in her leg carefully comparing it to the other and doesn't feel anything, but I decided to leave her for xrays of the leg this morning because, well, you know. I could wait, but I'd only worry.

I'll report later today. Any insight into what could cause an otherwise non-limping dog to stop and pick up a foot when running? Her pads look OK as far as I can see though I didn't do a mega-close inspection.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Could be she tweaked something in her shoulder-Nichole (EnzaFerrari) is going through this right now with Enza (see her post in H&M titled something like "nerve, bone or muscle").

Hope the X-rays don't show anything you don't want to see :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

the only time I've seen it is when a dog has had a toe dislocation that keeps popping in and out. Sometimes they don't swell or don't swell very much. this is pretty much SOP for our boy Primo who has the worst toes in the history of greyhounds :rolleyes:

Other thought...maybe something imbedded in a toe pad? Or a pulled muscle that she only feels when she's running fast (Diva will do this, but not hold up a foot...she just stops dead in her tracks.)

Hopefully it's nothing serious! :goodluck

Edited by KennelMom

Good thoughts for Beth that it's something minor.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest KennelMom

Hmm, interesting ... the vet manipulated all her toes so I think if one was loose he'd have noticed. She hasn't had toe issues except for the one giant one.

The first (and only) time I've taken Primo lure coursing, he had 2-3 "off" strides (very subtle, not many people even noticed it), then stopped dead in his tracks and lifted his paw. Several of us manipulated him all over, including his toes, and found nothing (including one vet who happened to be there + several very experienced performance folks). The only reason I know it's was his toe is that it swelled slightly the next day, which I didn't even notice until we were at the vet in the waiting room. He still does it from time to time just free running in the yard. Sometimes the toe swells, sometimes it doesn't. Always the same - running, stops, lifts foot.

Hmm, interesting ... the vet manipulated all her toes so I think if one was loose he'd have noticed. She hasn't had toe issues except for the one giant one.

The first (and only) time I've taken Primo lure coursing, he had 2-3 "off" strides (very subtle, not many people even noticed it), then stopped dead in his tracks and lifted his paw. Several of us manipulated him all over, including his toes, and found nothing (including one vet who happened to be there + several very experienced performance folks). The only reason I know it's was his toe is that it swelled slightly the next day, which I didn't even notice until we were at the vet in the waiting room. He still does it from time to time just free running in the yard. Sometimes the toe swells, sometimes it doesn't. Always the same - running, stops, lifts foot.

Interesting -- and what do you do after this happens? Do you wrap if it is mostly in place? Use meds?

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest KennelMom

for Primo, we don't really do anything. I'm not even *really* sure he's *actually* dislocating the toe or if he's stopping just before it actually dislocates and he feels some pain or pressure in his foot...that's just the diagnosis we came up with at the vet b/c it made the most sense at the time. He's a GIANT baby about everything :rolleyes: But, in this case maybe that's good. He self-regulates and takes it easy for a few weeks...he's not a big runner anyway. If it were one of our other dogs, we'd probably do the leash-walking thing like we normally do for toe problems.

Sounds like a muscle pull or something similar. Assuming x-rays don't turn anything up, I would treat with an nsaid and leash walks for a while, then when you want to try letting her run again, make sure you warm her up and cool her down well each time - 10 minutes of good walking on either end.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Are you sure she isn't limping at the walk? Summit has an on-again-off-again limp. It is mostly noticeable after a run (and only sometimes) but the very practiced eye will pick it up on certain days at the walk (of course, if I look at any dog or horse long enough I can make them lame). Just the slightest bit of a head bob. He also limps on it worse when it is cold I find. I've chalked it up to arthritis at this point because I have been unable to find anything in any of the joints including the shoulder. Of course, he's also so stoic it's hard to tell if I'm really getting no reaction. Just something to consider.

I hope the x-rays come back clean. Keep us posted!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Are you sure she isn't limping at the walk? Summit has an on-again-off-again limp. It is mostly noticeable after a run (and only sometimes) but the very practiced eye will pick it up on certain days at the walk (of course, if I look at any dog or horse long enough I can make them lame). Just the slightest bit of a head bob. He also limps on it worse when it is cold I find. I've chalked it up to arthritis at this point because I have been unable to find anything in any of the joints including the shoulder. Of course, he's also so stoic it's hard to tell if I'm really getting no reaction. Just something to consider.

I hope the x-rays come back clean. Keep us posted!

I am a total neurotic who notices everything :rolleyes: , and sometimes feel like I spend 75% of our time on walks watching Beth for a limp (mostly her amputation foot, but now her left front leg as well) and I really didn't see anything that registered! But of course I'll be watching like a hawk.

Thinking lots of good thoughts for you and Beth today!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

(of course, if I look at any dog or horse long enough I can make them lame).

My husband says the same thing about me :lol:blush

ha ha, I swear I must shoot laser beams from my eyes or something because they're not lame for anyone else. :lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

(of course, if I look at any dog or horse long enough I can make them lame).

My husband says the same thing about me :lol:blush

ha ha, I swear I must shoot laser beams from my eyes or something because they're not lame for anyone else. :lol

I think I'm this way too. How I test myself: if I'm worrying about Beth limping on one leg, I see if I can stare long enough to make it appear she's limping on the opposite leg.

Edited by PrairieProf

Sending lots of good thoughts to Beth, and to you! (And more for Dublin, too, while I'm at it. smile.gif)

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Well, she's back. Was that super-quick service or what! Vet says everything is fine -- xrays completely symmetrical for both legs, no sign on pain or issues in range of motion with manipulation.

So I'm going to try leash-walking and Deramaxx for a week. Still upset, because clearly something is wrong that never was before.

He didn't see how a toe could pop out and back with no swelling, but I believe Kennelmom on this... I have a bad knee that dislocates on occasion and it doesn't swell afterwards.

Edited to add: one of the inner wrist bones (bumps) on the affected leg seems a teeny bit more pronounced to me (I pointed it out to the vet but he didn't seem to see/feel anything different) -- I was just inspecting it. But anyway, if there was a problem I could see with my eye that would have shown up on the xray, right? And she doesn't do anything when you press hard on it.

Edited by PrairieProf

Wonderful news that the xrays were clear!!!!:colgate

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Carl kept doing that a couple of years ago, he had the tiniest sliver in his paw. It was meat the edge and covered by fur. It scared the crappola out of me, he'd walk into the kitchen or bedroom, stop and that front paw would go up.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Well, she's back. Was that super-quick service or what! Vet says everything is fine -- xrays completely symmetrical for both legs, no sign on pain or issues in range or motion with manipulation.

So I'm going to try leash-walking and Deramaxx for a week. Still upset, because clearly something is wrong that never was before.

He didn't see how a toe could pop out and back with no swelling, but I believe Kennelmom on this... I have a bad knee that dislocates on occasion and it doesn't swell afterwards.

Faith had the exact same thing happen. It cleared right up with Rimadyl and hasn't come back. That was several months ago. She probably just tweaked something on an uneven surface or something like that. I would only worry if she weren't active enough to give you an explanation, which isn't the add.

Add equals case, stupid phone.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."