Hurley Is A Tripod!

Hurley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his rear left leg (tibia) on November 2nd. He had been limping a few days and then he was on the bed with us and could not remain in one position for more than 5 minutes or maybe 10. He kept standing up, turning around and trying a new position, only to get tired of it again. Xrays showed a moth eaten area of his bone and we saw the oncologist later that morning. She explained our options and mentioned she would be at a conference until the following Tuesday but was available via email. I emailed OSU and sent the 5 xrays, they confirmed that it is most likely osteo. Once our doctor was back in town, we had our ducks in a row and had an appointment for a surgical consult lined up the day after we saw her again (we saw her Wed). She green lighted us for the amputation and we met the surgeon, liked the surgeon and were very relieved that both doctors acknowledged that OSU could provide the best resource in this case. They both called them, consulted with them and never made me feel like I was putting OSU first, above them. The amputation was scheduled for Wednesday, November 16.

It went well!!!!! They called me about an hour before I had to leave for work and said he was already waking up and looking around. The surgeon called me later, as I requested. He told me there was one issue only: Hurley had an arrythmia or slower heart beats at one point and he thought that would mean doxorubicin would not be ideal for his heart. Other than that, we were still on track for having him come home Thursday. He mentioned that I could visit him after my work shift if I wished.

I left work just 1/2 hour early after calling them for details on Hurley's progress and their preferences with late night visits. The vet tech was very nice and said Hurley had already been up and about with the help of the sling. I asked about food and whether he needed to eat. He had been refusing so far so I was given the go ahead to bring some tuna treats I had made at home. I was able to reach Jim after he got off work and we met up so we could drive together.

We were shown into the comfort room and Hurley was brought to us, walking on his own!!!! He was shaven all the way to the hip, in case they were going to take all of it, so it looked naked. I was amazed that right now they just have a gauze on the bottom of the stump, at the incision. It had been bleeding but not badly. The doctor had told me his clotting was doing fine (we gave the Aminocaproic acid as instructed by OSU for all greyhound amputations and as Hurley requires because he does bleed EXCESSIVELY without it) so I was very relieved to hear that! Right now, the 'stump' is quite swollen.

Hurley ate all the treats I brought and all the canned food they provided once I held the bowl for him. He was not overly welcoming towards us because he had other issues going on and he was slightly wobbly. But I know it was the right thing for us to have done (versus waiting until the morning to possibly even bring him home on our first meeting with him post-surgery). He tried to sit (which the tech said would be alright) but he caused pain by angling the wrong way and then getting agitated. We helped him sit onto his good side with the aid of the sling. He sat for quite awhile and was already starting to show interest in the wound, which the vet tech said was new behavior.

I hope this is all making sense. I wanted to get it down now because if he comes home tomorrow, I'm not sure how much time like this I will have! I have scheduled time off from work Fri, Sat and Sun. By Monday, he will hopefully be okay to be alone for a few hours or more. We have a long road ahead. But I believe he will adapt quickly to having one less leg.

Long live my sweet Hurley Dawg!! We aren't out of the woods yet but we hope to start chemo very soon, around Thanksgiving. Tripods rock!! I've seen them run faster than my 4 legged dogs!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johanna, that is a fantastic report!!! I am so glad Hurley is doing well. Here's to a smooth quick healing process!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I hope he heals quickly and well.

Go Hurley!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Keep up the good work, Hurley. We'll be planning on walking in the 4th of July parade with you again next year. You won't be getting attention for your hat this time.

Wonderful report!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Great news! :yay Sending loads of prayers for quick healing. Go Hurley! :gh_run2

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Great news! :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

glad he's doing ok!

this sucks that so many pups (and so many GPA-WI pups! :() are having to deal with this horrible disease :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sounds like he's doing great! I know you will all be glad to get him home, and that you'll have some time to spend with him.

Looking forward to more positive updates.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thank you for all your words and thoughts!!

Hurley has been home over 24 hours now and I wanted to share some pics from last weekend, when he was still a 4 legger. And then the post op photos, of course!

Don't make me go to the hospital, please!

Osteo014.jpg

Hurley, I wish you didn't have to! But you will be healthier this way!

Confidently standing with the aid of pain meds:

Osteo038.jpg

Osteo036.jpg

Maybe showing the slightest hesitation with the cancerous left hind leg:

Osteo025.jpg

Ready to go if that critter makes an appearance:

Osteo034.jpg

Definitely ON the move:

Osteo043.jpg

Getting a ride to get his nails trimmed and to make sure he doesn't think ALL car rides end in vet visits!

Osteo052.jpg

FINALLY, some after amputation pictures:

This was taken yesterday, the day he came home. Home is the best medicine!

Osteo054.jpg

(as you can see, it's good that I'm home for a few days so I can clean....we'll see if I can muster the motivation! :) )

Doing that sit that I've read about on the osteo thread. You wouldn't even know a leg was missing when they sit on that side!

Osteo001.jpg

Another pic with no obvious leg missing but i'm posting it because while he was roaching, I could not get his whole body into one shot! #fail

Osteo007.jpg

Lastly, today his bruising is quite widespread but not unusual:

Osteo009.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's kindness. It is hard to believe this is just a stop gap until chemo starts and then we have to hope it kills as much as possible while we try to enhance his immune system to fight off the cancer cells. We are doing the fish oil pills and are giving the non-grain food a shot, even if it isn't proven. Right now, I'm perfectly content to spend every minute with him!!! :blush:blush:colgate:colgate

His bandage change was hard on him but it was saturated and we wanted to take a look and clean it too before we changed it. He kept trying to bite us!! And we jumped everytime!! :eek

The e collar is problematic but better than letting him lick it open and cause an infection.

He is still wobbly but getting the hang of it. The towel as a sling is also handy so he doesn't strain too badly. he POOPED yesterday and today!! Woodie is sharing the couch with him at the moment, he and Petra get "guest passes" to see him and be near him. Although, they didn't seem to wonder where he was during his absence. They did sniff me entirely after we returned from visiting him at least. They have sniffed him at home a little but not harshly. In my opinion, he is doing wonderfully!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Sounds like he is doing well -- and, he looks really good. Continued wishes for quick, easy healing for your cute boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.