Scout Final Update, Post 1

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

Final Update

At last turnout last night, Scout took a tumble and began crying in pain. We maxed out her tramadol, but that gave her absolutely no relief...she wouldn't lay down, screamed if you touched her and was dragging her leg. We took her to the emergency vet and said a tearful goodbye. She passed peacefully in our arms and is now running at the Bridge, pain free. I'll write a proper celebration of her life when I can.

Scouty :kiss2 I miss you so much already...

***Update***

There is no question it's osteo in her back right hip. Due to the location, amputation is not an option so we're left with palliative care. The bone is quite degraded and we do not want to risk the bone breaking, but our vet said we are probably safe to enjoy a couple more weeks with her if we can control her pain satisfactorily. Tramadol, gabapentin, lots of love, kisses and treats headed her way.

:weep

Several weeks ago, I thought Scout's gait was off. I couldn't really even pinpoint where the problem was except in her hind end. Ken didn't see what I was seeing, but I have had a lot more time with performance people and watching them assess lameness in dogs b/c of all the time I've spent lure coursing. Anyway...fast forward to last week when the dogs were running around the kennel and Scout suddenly started screaming and holding her back legup. I can't be sure no one ran into her and she IS a bit of a drama queen about minor issues, but with all the dogs in the building there's really not enough room to get up any speed, so any collision would be VERY minor...more like a bump.

Took her in to the vet the next day and the physical exam indicated pain in the knee...an xray showed a little inflammation in the knee. Both the doc and I were a little dubious that it would be causing the pain level she seemed to be at, but decided to do two weeks of NSAIDs and tramadol, plus leash walks.

Fast forward to today, a week later, and she's not better. The drugs seemed to only put a small dent in her pain level and my "it's not just an inflamed knee" internal warning was going off something fierce, so back to the vet for sedation and xrays of her entire hind end.

I don't feel good about this. Her pain level yesterday was not controlled satisfactorily by tramadol and rimadyl....if it were a torqued knee, she should have been fine. She's 9, so she's right in the beginning of the "danger zone" range when I start to worry a lot about limps and gimps being cancer instead of acute injuries.

Requisite picture of the patient...Scouty

3125164120_9d22a33d19.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of prayers and good thoughts for Scout. Hopefully it's nothing too serious but I do know what you mean by that "internal voice".

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MnMDogs

I always get worried when I see a a topic started with just the hound's name in the new topic section. I hope that this is a "nothing" limp, and will be thinking of you and your girl.

Good thoughts for Scout. I hope it ends up being something not too serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Many prayers and well-wishes your way....

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Spoil and love and give her every food she wants. if the stuff she shouldn't..ice cream by the tub.. :lol

My heart goes out to you. I, like many here, have gone through this so you are not alone. They are never here as long as we want. But the time they are, they touch our souls like no other.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Oh Heather, I'm so very, very sorry. Enjoy the time you have left with your sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sad and sorry to read this. Make memories, take photos and take each day as a blessing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds