Thinking About Giving Greyhound Up + Aggression Issues

Guest rarararadical

Guest JMinAugustaGA

Has anyone suggested lab work to see if there is a thyroid problem? Sometimes aggression can be as a result of a thyroid abnormality and taking some thyroid medicine can help the situation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for caring enough to find the courage to ask for advice here! As you can clearly see, folks here understand and love this breed and have lots of experience and good advice. Because I know how satisfying the love of from a hound can be, I am happy that you made the decision to keep your boy. One day soon you will find that the sometimes understated affection that these dogs exude, can magically touch your heart like no other colgate.gif

Your very handsome boy sounds like many I've met, a bit unsure of his new environment and full of questions. You now get the privilege of teaching him how the world works and that at the end of the day he will ALWAYS have you to love him.

Congratulations to you and please keep us updated with LOTS more pictures!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Ok, I briefly skimmed through your post. I will share my experience with our female greyhound. We had no idea she had space/food aggression issues. Now mind you it tooks us several times to finally get, and I mean get it! The last incident I was loving on her while she was laying down, well she bit me and I actually thought she ripped my face open and tore my ear off. Was it her fault NO! it was mine. I didn't respect her space and paid a heavy price to finally GET IT! Luckily I ended up ok, thank goodness I know the doctors at my work and convinced them to not report the bite. After that situation I implemented NILIF and it worked! All privelages were taken away, no furniture, bed privelages and she had to work for treats and feedings (i.e. would have her sit or lay down before getting food), also would have call her over to me/us for lovins. Stopped hanging on her neck when giving lovins. When she was on her dog bed we left her alone. Even is she would come up to us on her own for lovins we ignored her (not to be mean) but to establish that we were the leaders and not her. Thank goodness, it didn't take long for her to get it and things worked out just fine. We were blessed to have her with us for 8 years, we had to let her go last year at the age of 12.

Things can work out, you just have to take your time and establish leadership. You can not punish the dog for feeling threatened and feeling like they need to protect themselves. I know others will offer great advice as well.

Good Luck!

Edited by Lilysmom

Praying for all the missing greys!

Thanks for posting Kathleen Gilley's words about space and aggression. It is something that every adoption/foster organization should include with its information packet about Greyhound adoption.

I'm a newbie to having a Greyhound. I adopted my wonderful Annie Bella 5 weeks ago today. I read with great interest all the information offered on this topic, and it is pretty much what the adoption organization from whom I adopted told me. Fortunately, Annie has no aggression or space issues. She's very much into getting love, affection, petting, brushing and lots of attention. Her personality can be described as a bit shy and very calm and laid back, very affectionate and typical couch potato (on her LL Bean bed), with a healthy dose of stubbornness! (THAT can drive me nuts... LOL.) Nevertheless, after only 5 weeks, and even with her never having shown any aggression at all, I still treat her and her space with respect by never rushing up to her or her bed or getting too close when she's eating.

Good luck, and I hope whatever decision you make is good for your greyt Greyhound and your family.

Guest PenguinGirl78

Gordon is a very handsome boy! I'm glad you've decided to give him a chance--I really hope it works out for both of you!

When we got our first grey, Shelby, a bit over three years ago, she was a perfect first dog--no space/sleep/food aggression, friendly toward everyone, excited to go out for walks. It was such a great experience that we decided to get a second greyhound a little over a month later, we added Simon to our family as a "foster with intent to flunk."

Boy, what a different experience that was.

Simon was more than just a little spooky (and still is to a certain extent) and shivered and shook at the prospect of going out for walks. He growled and snarled at my husband if he even went near Simon with a leash in his hand. Simon seemed depressed--he barely ate, didn't play, and would just lie on the couch with his eyes closed and not respond to anything. I seriously thought for a while that we would flunk flunking!

It took a few months, and it wasn't always easy, but we worked with Simon. We got advice from more experienced grey owners in our adoption group. Simon soon began to eat better, respond more positively to going for walks, and developed a love of squeaky stuffy toys. I'd say it took close to a year for his true personality to emerge, little by little. He's happy to be around my husband now, but he's become my special cuddly, playful mama's boy and comes to me first for kisses and hugs. Now I'm so glad we didn't give up on him in those first difficult weeks!

Guest LindsaySF

Just wanted to mention something I didn't see mentioned. Desensitization training is great (I would recommend it for sure), but there are some Greyhounds out there that are NEVER okay with sharing bed space, cuddling, hugging, etc, even after years of being in a home. Every dog is different. If a very cuddly dog is what you're looking for, a different dog might be a better match, rather than trying to "turn" this dog into one. But if cuddling and stuff isn't a big deal, you just want to make sure the dog won't go after you if you pet it, then I would say continue to work with him and let him settle in more.

Another thing I will also point out from your original post: After the first snap, your SO wanted to give the dog back, but you "convinced" him/her to let you work with the dog, and SO is only helping out "here and there". If I had done an adoption and knew the SO wanted the dog given back, I would have pulled the dog. In my experience, everyone needs to be 100% on board in order to make it work. Just from hearing that, I'm not sure your SO is. Your SO might even be afraid of this dog, if so, a different dog would be a better match, especially before there is a bite.

Good luck.

~Lindsay~

He's a very handsome boy! Carl also had space issues when he came to live with me. Too soon after I brought him home I let him up on the couch, I was sitting on the floor petting my other dog and he bared his teeth, let out a high pitched bark and air snapped his teeth. I threw him off the couch immediately. Came to GT, learned about space aggression and took it from there. I also felt like we weren't bonding, he was quiet and standoffish. 4 years later he sleeps on the bed with me with no problems and loves to be petted and loved. Because they had such a different life before coming to live with us it takes a long time, lots of trust and respect for them to peel away the other parts. When it peels away, they are really amazing! Congratulations and welcome!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just wanted to mention something I didn't see mentioned. Desensitization training is great (I would recommend it for sure), but there are some Greyhounds out there that are NEVER okay with sharing bed space, cuddling, hugging, etc, even after years of being in a home. Every dog is different. If a very cuddly dog is what you're looking for, a different dog might be a better match, rather than trying to "turn" this dog into one. But if cuddling and stuff isn't a big deal, you just want to make sure the dog won't go after you if you pet it, then I would say continue to work with him and let him settle in more.

Another thing I will also point out from your original post: After the first snap, your SO wanted to give the dog back, but you "convinced" him/her to let you work with the dog, and SO is only helping out "here and there". If I had done an adoption and knew the SO wanted the dog given back, I would have pulled the dog. In my experience, everyone needs to be 100% on board in order to make it work. Just from hearing that, I'm not sure your SO is. Your SO might even be afraid of this dog, if so, a different dog would be a better match, especially before there is a bite.

Good luck.

~Lindsay~

Yup, 100%...

Guest Swifthounds

After the first snap, your SO wanted to give the dog back, but you "convinced" him/her to let you work with the dog, and SO is only helping out "here and there". If I had done an adoption and knew the SO wanted the dog given back, I would have pulled the dog. In my experience, everyone needs to be 100% on board in order to make it work. Just from hearing that, I'm not sure your SO is. Your SO might even be afraid of this dog, if so, a different dog would be a better match, especially before there is a bite.

Or a different SO....

After the first snap, your SO wanted to give the dog back, but you "convinced" him/her to let you work with the dog, and SO is only helping out "here and there". If I had done an adoption and knew the SO wanted the dog given back, I would have pulled the dog. In my experience, everyone needs to be 100% on board in order to make it work. Just from hearing that, I'm not sure your SO is. Your SO might even be afraid of this dog, if so, a different dog would be a better match, especially before there is a bite.

Or a different SO....

Heh, that's what I did. (There were other issues in the relationship, not just his attitude towards Sammi) My SO at the time also was only helping here and there. Between her shyness, her 3 months of the big D and the fact that she bonded to me and not him, he was becoming jealous. He wanted a dog that bonded to HIM, he wanted a dog that he could show off- wasn't shy, and the constant struggling to find the cause of her loose stool aggravated him since she wasn't "his dog" in Sammi's eyes. He felt that if she preferred me so much, then she was my problem. He was not 100% on board with Sammi. I am glad that no one caught wind of him wanting to exchange Sammi, I would have lost the best dog that has ever graced my life because of a guy that I finally realized wasn't worth my time.

My greyhound, Henry, was very shy when we first adopted him. Shy almost to the point of fear aggression. We had several incidents that sound similar to what you've described. Henry did NOT like other people coming near his bed. He snapped at me once and also at my sister-in-law. My boyfriend was ready to give him back to the kennel, because we were so upset and clueless about what to do. I worked with a trainer who was really great. Now, Henry has his Therapy Dog and Canine Good Citizens certifications. He is much more confident and allows us to do just about anything to him. (Really, I mean anything- we pick him up and make him dance, ride him like a horse, etc.) Looking back, I remember how frustrating this behavior was. My advise is to just hang in there. Maybe consult with a trainer to associate positive things about people being in his space. We used lots and lots of treats and toys. It may also be a reality that your grey will never share his sleep space. No dog is perfect- Henry still growls when strangers come to the house and approach his bed. But almost all behavior is manageable with the right training. Good luck!

Guest SteveO

This thread has been SUPER helpful for me - a new GH'er. We've had Grace a whole 4 days now and let me say despite reading the dummies book aloud in our family we're making monumental mistakes with her in regards to her space and privacy. We just dove in with affection and unfortunately have done this at her bedside repeatedly because that's where she hangs out a lot. We have a husband, wife and 3 kids family with older kids visiting and neighbor kids in the house regularly. The only advice I keep repeating to the kids is "don't box her in" wherever she is. The kids want to pet and visit and give and get affection. Grace is understandably timid in her new surroundings but is FAST coming out of her shell.

The two incidents of aggression have both been towards me - her primary human. Both involved possession of a bone (real steak bone) that she earned as a reward for her happy zoomies and playful behavior with me. One incident out in the yard with her just getting settled on the business of gnawing and the other this AM with the same bone on her bed. She wasn't giving the bone back and let me know it. I backed down and away and just spoke with her about it. The stuffie tricked her away from the bone the first time and this AM she got to keep it.

So instead of posting about space or possession aggression I read this thread and see the solution. She earned the bone, she gets to keep it and ESPECIALLY in her space - she's RIGHT. Other times she's very gentle to take treats from our hands and even if I have a partially closed grip she gently nudges. I think the agency between the race track in FL and our agency 2nd Chance GH may have made the difference in 'prepping' Grace for human family life. After reading the accounts you all have experienced with your GH's I think my two incidents of growling over food should be expected and considered very much the right response from Grace.

Thanks to all those who shared their experiences with normal dog behavior that we consider aggressive. Right now I'm thinking attack dogs, guard dogs, feral dogs are the ones with aggressive behavior....our houndies and us just have to learn each other together with patience, time, space respect, more patience and lots of it. It kind of reminds me the way men and women think - totally different planets sometimes. My kids expect some kind of fantasy, Hollywood dream pet that reads human minds and speaks English. We're getting the silver lining right now with our new hound and realize there may be rain occasionally. Good luck to all of us with our canine companionships!

SteveO, that's a great post. I went through the same learning process. I really think part of it is learning to respect the dog, although I wonder if that idea offends some people. Maybe not anybody on GT, but those "alpha dominance" kinds. But I don't care what they think, I've personally got a life long experience with all kinds of animals that taught me animals deserve respect and you'll have a better relationship with them if you try to earn it. Sounds like you're well on your way with your observances.

The next step for you may be learning to "read" and understand your dog's language. I was surprised to find with my Capri that she's quite eloquent and makes her opinions quite clear without making a sound. She does it with meaningful glances, nose touches, head turns, full body turns, etc. The more you respond to these communication signals, the more your dog will try to communicate with you.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest TBSFlame

FYI- I don't do bones, just not worth it when there's other things to give instead that doesn't promote growling :)

I agree. A new greyhound gets only small treat that I have control over.

FYI- I don't do bones, just not worth it when there's other things to give instead that doesn't promote growling :)

I agree. A new greyhound gets only small treat that I have control over.

I've heard that the best rewards are those that are VERY tasty, and yet very small so it isn't the gift that keeps on giving (or something they can store for later). I'd also suggest not using bones (a high-value, long-term treat) for rewards for proper behavior. You want immediate positive and it to be only associated with the good behavior (not self-rewarding, as she had done when growling you away from her bone...which she then got to keep).

Guest SteveO

not to hijack the thread...but thanks for those tips. I hate to see the steak bones go to waste now that we have a GH. She has done so remarkably well in her 4 days with us (despite our goofs) that those first zoomies just deserved a big reward. After i got to work this AM I called home to warn the DW and kiddos about the bone possession and her bed space. DW says no big deal I took it from her to move her to our room as guests were arriving and gave the bone back with no incident. Guess we REALLY got lucky with Grace. At least so far. She is really warming up to me due to the attention she gets and accepts all family members and neighbor kids with no issues thus far. Again, I think it is part Grace, part her age, and perhaps a big part the agency who got her from FL and had her in CO for a short period. A vet named Heather Weir (maybe).

Guest KennelMom

1 - steak bones aren't really appropriate for a dog that's been home four days, IMO. Esp for a novice owner. Not enough time for training and relationship building. You saw the results of it. As mentioned, a better treat for a reward is something super yummy that's given right at the moment the reinforcement is needed. Dried liver, a piece of cheese or hotdog...the possibilities are endless, really. Just a bite of something is all you need.

2 - I sure hope it wasn't a COOKED steak bone. That's bad news of a whole 'nother sort. Save the RAW bones for a few months from now after she's settled in and you've worked on some 'leave it' or trade up/trade out skills. Personally, I prefer to have a dog that understands leave it or trading out as those skills enhance our relationship. Avoiding high value treats doesn't solve any problem...it just avoids it. I know that no matter what any dog has, they're all willing to give something up to me...even the prize bird they just snatched out of the air :rolleyes:

Hope things are going well with Gordon. Sometimes it just takes time....LOTs of time. Trolley has been with me for 2 years & she is finally becoming affectionate. She's a very shy gal & is finally trusting me. It's worth the wait. :) I've loved her from day one & the love gets stronger. :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

1 - steak bones aren't really appropriate for a dog that's been home four days, IMO. Esp for a novice owner. Not enough time for training and relationship building. You saw the results of it. As mentioned, a better treat for a reward is something super yummy that's given right at the moment the reinforcement is needed. Dried liver, a piece of cheese or hotdog...the possibilities are endless, really. Just a bite of something is all you need.

2 - I sure hope it wasn't a COOKED steak bone. That's bad news of a whole 'nother sort. Save the RAW bones for a few months from now after she's settled in and you've worked on some 'leave it' or trade up/trade out skills. Personally, I prefer to have a dog that understands leave it or trading out as those skills enhance our relationship. Avoiding high value treats doesn't solve any problem...it just avoids it. I know that no matter what any dog has, they're all willing to give something up to me...even the prize bird they just snatched out of the air :rolleyes:

Same thing I was going to say. RAW bones and pop them in the freezer for later.

ETA~ I, myself, can take anything from Sammi or add anything to her food dish. I can take a treat from her even without trading up immediately (But I have been her human for over 5 years and she knows the trade out is comming, I may not just have had the time/hands to have it with me). Now the "young upstart" (aka Bella, or Hells Bells- the young husky) well... for the first time in my life, I have seen a dog miss when intending to bite. She had you-know-whats made of titanium to try this, but she snatched a treat out of Sammi's mouth. :eek They were sitting side by side, alphas first getting their treat, then Bella. Bella decided she wanted to try taking Sammi's treat and not wait for hers. The speed at which Sammi reacted was astounding, and if Bella was "greyhound height" she probably would have lost her face. I took off after her and got the treat back, gave it to Sammi and gave the 2 older ladies their treats again, with Bella sitting farther away. THEN Bella got hers. (She never tried it again, btw. That was her one and only time trying to pull rank or order. Although startling, once things calmed down, we did find humor at the guts she had to try that.)

Edited by Gryffenne

not to hijack the thread...but thanks for those tips. I hate to see the steak bones go to waste now that we have a GH. She has done so remarkably well in her 4 days with us (despite our goofs) that those first zoomies just deserved a big reward. After i got to work this AM I called home to warn the DW and kiddos about the bone possession and her bed space. DW says no big deal I took it from her to move her to our room as guests were arriving and gave the bone back with no incident. Guess we REALLY got lucky with Grace. At least so far. She is really warming up to me due to the attention she gets and accepts all family members and neighbor kids with no issues thus far. Again, I think it is part Grace, part her age, and perhaps a big part the agency who got her from FL and had her in CO for a short period. A vet named Heather Weir (maybe).

I meant to ask the other day in another thread--you know you shouldn't give her bones that have been COOKED, right? Only raw ones? The get brittle when they're cooked.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SteveO

I meant to ask the other day in another thread--you know you shouldn't give her bones that have been COOKED, right? Only raw ones? The get brittle when they're cooked.

Thanks again from a NOOB! No more bones, it's back to the kong with PB for her longer treat enjoyment. She gets the tiny treats right away and happy praise with good behavior and is surviving our ineptitude well.

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed with KennelMom. Far too soon for a high value treat like a bone. You need to have the dog much longer, then eventually start to work on "trading up" with high value items. To reward her now, give a small treat that she can swallow immediately.

Depending on the ages of your kids, you might NEVER want to give a high value treat like a bone when they are around, not unless the dog is confined somewhere safe (crate, etc). ETA: Even the PB kong I would only give in the crate, or when an adult is there to directly supervise that the children don't go near. You don't want her to try to defend it from the kids.

Edited by LindsaySF

Wondering how things are going with Gordon, since it's been almost a week since we last heard from the OP?

a bone (real steak bone) that she earned as a reward for her happy zoomies and playful behavior with me.

Glad to see you've reconsidered the steak bones. As others have mentioned, you want a small treat that can be eaten immediately when you're giving a reward for good behavior. I reserve the longer lasting treats for times when I want them to be occupied for a while - like crating and when I'm leaving the house. In these situations, it's not really a reward for a specific behavior, but to give the dog a good association with something that could become a negative experience (being crated, being left alone). When you use a long-lasting treat to reward a specific behavior, I don't think the dog will necessarily make the association since the treat will last long past the dog's memory of what she did to earn it.

I did also want to comment on rewarding behavior like happy zoomies and play. I really don't think it's necessary. When a dog gets comfortable enough to do things like that, the behavior in itself is fun and rewarding for the dog. Really no need to reward at that point, and giving the dog a treat for playing is probably anticlimactic and distracting. With a shy dog who might stop playing if distracted, I would just sit back and watch. Or with a more outgoing dog who wants interaction, you could join in and play with them.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg