Thinking About Giving Greyhound Up + Aggression Issues

Guest rarararadical

Also, how do find the "right" greyhound for you? I'm sure it wouldn't be kosher to bring one home for a week trial and see how it goes, then in the event you're not feeling it...give them back. Especially since they do take quite a while to open up and feel comfortable. I know some adoption agencies for canines allow potential adopters to do this.

Just my opinion, and no criticism intended. You don't sound like a Greyhound is the right dog for you.

If you want a guaranteed affectionate, outgoing, playful dog and won't be happy with one that may end up being laid back, totally disinterested in playing--even aloof--you probably should not take a chance at this stage in your life on another Greyhound.

Again, just my opinion based on what you've expressed!

My last dog was a shelter dog. He was brilliant and beautiful, and absolutely perfect for me--at the time. But I'm older now, and I appreciate the quite companionship of a dog whose two favorite things are eating and sleeping!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually when people are "thinking of giving up a pet" they've pretty much already decided to do so and are just seeking permission that it is okay. As someone already said some dogs fit some households better than others. There's no shame in returning a dog that isn't going to be a good fit.

My bigger concern is that you have seem to a vision of what you want your greyhound to be and in less than a few months when he didn't slip seamlessly into your expectations of what your dog would be like, you're already disappointed. If you don't adjust your expectations, you may just be disappointed again as well. I'd suggest instead accept your greyhound's (either this one or the next if you choose to adopt again) personality as it is, learn to work within his comfort zone for what is best for him (not you), and look forward to getting to know him/her as they develop and get comfortable with retired life. I promise you'll be amazed at the personality changes you're greyhound will go through in the first year.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Also, how do find the "right" greyhound for you? I'm sure it wouldn't be kosher to bring one home for a week trial and see how it goes, then in the event you're not feeling it...give them back. Especially since they do take quite a while to open up and feel comfortable. I know some adoption agencies for canines allow potential adopters to do this.

Just my opinion, and no criticism intended. You don't sound like a Greyhound is the right dog for you.

If you want a guaranteed affectionate, outgoing, playful dog and won't be happy with one that may end up being laid back, totally disinterested in playing--even aloof--you probably should not take a chance at this stage in your life on another Greyhound.

Again, just my opinion based on what you've expressed!

My last dog was a shelter dog. He was brilliant and beautiful, and absolutely perfect for me--at the time. But I'm older now, and I appreciate the quite companionship of a dog whose two favorite things are eating and sleeping!

I agree with this, to a point. If what you want is a dog that will play with you at the drop of a hat or demand attention from you, constantly be trying to sit in your lap... then a greyhound is not for you. I have met a few greyhounds that were like that but they're few and far between. It is not that most greyhounds are not affection. In my limited experience the greyhound is very affectionate but in their own way. Summit rarely licks my face, but on the occasions when he does it warms my heart and is not so overzealous that I want to push him away like a lab or golden. He doesn't jump all over me for attention... he comes up quietly and leans against my leg or rests his head on my knee or even just looks at me. He doesn't go into his toy box and pull out toys to shove into my hands, but every now and then he comes up to me very quietly and stares at me with a certain spark in his eye, then the tail starts wagging like crazy, and then he'll bark at me (the only time he ever barks in the house) once or twice before going into a play bow and tearing around the room. This is not your "typical dog". He doesn't communicate the way a "typical dog" does. But it doesn't make him any less affectionate, loving, or loyal than any other dog. He just does it in his own quiet, stately way.

Having said that, does Summit fetch? Absolutely. But I had to teach him from square one. He doesn't really like toys or play with them, but if I get him going or he's in the right mood he'll tear around the backyard throwing a toy around. And is he openly sweet or affectionate? Yes, sometimes. He licks my face once in awhile like I said. When we were driving home from Columbus, Ohio a few weeks ago he did the sweetest thing. He stays in the backseat of my sedan and for the most part I don't really see him when I drive. If he stands up to turn around I see him in my rear view, and when I check my passenger side blind spot to change lanes I catch a quick glimpse of him. But other than that he just sleeps in the backseat and I let him be until we make rest stops. Well, after we'd been driving about 5 hours he got up and turned around, and put his head over the hammock to rest it on the middle console right beside my elbow, and just looked at me. He stayed like that for about 20 minutes, not making any attempts to demand attention, but just resting contentedly where he could see my face. That is what greyhound affection is. It's not in your face and if you're not paying attention you may miss it. And it means the world to me.

I think what you need to do is decide if a greyhound is really what you want. Do you want a dog that will be bouncing around looking for something to do and someone to do it with while you're relaxing or working at home? Or do you want a dog that will mind his own business and sleep while you putt around the house and only jump up when there's actually something to do? There's nothing wrong with either... it just depends on what YOU want. All the best with your decision.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Please note in my case the opposite happened. Ben was really affectionate and palyful when we adopted him but now he is much less so and prefers to stay on his pillow in the corner of the room. we have a large pillow in the middle of the great room that Brooke lays on a lot, and Ben will come over occasionally and lie on it. Niether of our pups have space aggresiion, but Ben prefers to lie quietly by himself.

My point is that if you find a playful, affectionate grey, they may change over time like Ben did so something to keep in mind while deciding what to do.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Liz_in_PA

You know what? I questioned aloud whether Dash was right for us and if we'd made a mistake. And I got the same answers that you've been getting. The ones that say, well you should return him if you're even thinking this way. It's okay to have doubts. It doesn't necessarily mean you're going to return him.

My dog was growly if we touched his side. He still is. I asked if dogs are ticklish and I was told, no, no and if you doubt us, then these dogs are not for you. But if he wants to lie on the sofa with his head in my lap, he has to give me some place to put my arm. We grumble at each other and shift around. But that took probably 6 months before we could get to the place of not being frightened for something very innocent.

My agency didn't know that he had been bounced from two previous houses before they received him from another group. But my group told me to "take him home, test drive him and kick his wheels." For that, I will always be grateful. Knowing that we weren't trapped gave us space to let Dash relax. Talk to your group. You probably have more flexibility than you think. They don't want you or Gordon to be unhappy.

The thing is most greyhounds do not feel comfortable enough to play in a week. Some take months. They aren't like labs. They take a lot of patience. I've had 12 of them and only one of the 12 actually played with me within the first month and he was only 19 months old. One of mine took over a year. Out of the 12, 5 had space issues. All but two have resolved those issues and I haven't adopted in several years. If you don't think you want to deal with these issues then you may be looking at the wrong breed. If you are willing, then know it takes time and patience.

There are always exceptions and you may find the type of hound you're looking for but it may take time.

:nod I have to agree with Judy and I only had 5 now we have 4 one went to the bridge and it did take time for each and every one to come out of its shell... It takes Pateince with Greyhounds. I had one that came to me and wanted to play and now he will sometimes want to play but he also likes to just be left alone and lay on his blanket. Before we got into greyhounds, we have had dalmations, gold retriever, labs... and I can tell you Greyhounds or not like any other breed it takes time to bond, but when you do, there is no love like the love a greyhound gives back, and we will never got to another breed.. We may one day add another breed to the pack but I will always want a greyhound. Good Luck!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Wasserbuffel
But then last night, when it came time to go to bed (and Gordon sleeps in his crate), I gave him a friendly and upbeat "ok, lets go" but he ignored me. This happens about 50% of the time so I wan't to surprised. So I went up to him on his doggie bed - he was tending to a small nick on his toe. I gave him a friendly, yet stern "come on, lets go" and touched his shoulder...he growled, showed his teeth and snapped the air a couple times. This scared me so I stood up, took a step back and with a low forceful "go in" told him to get up and go to his crate. He did but after a pause.

I think that he was licking a wound might have triggered him to be defensive. Also, as he gets comfortable he may test boundaries too.

I had Jayne come up snapping at me one evening when I tried to get her off the couch for bed, eight months after I got her, although I hadn't touched her. She lost her couch privileges for a week. Since then she's never snapped at me while she's been on the couch.

Keep in mind with desensitation that if you're doing it all, it might not translate to your SO or other people. Jayne is completely fine with me laying with her, messing with her feet, teeth and ears, leaning over her or even rolling her over when she's laying down, because I have worked with her using treats and praise to become accustomed to my doing so. My DH, however, has not, so he can't do all those things with her. Also, adults can pet her while she's laying on the couch but children will get snapped at.

It's all a learning process for everyone involved.

Guest TBSFlame

Greyhounds are adult dogs when they come to us. It takes time for you to earn their respect but when you do it is magic. IMO most new adopters expect too much too soon. Give it time.

Guest rarararadical

Well, thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and thoughtful responses - I took them to heart and I've decided to stick with Gordon. After sleeping on the idea of giving him up, I realized that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I definitely do think the most recent incident was triggered by him licking his wound. Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you!

Guest dobiegrey

Please keep us posted ok? Good luck, and give him time, he will come around, he may never be the jump for joy, throw the ball type of dog, but he will grow to trust and love you and he will become a wonderful companion!! Hang tough!!

Well, thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and thoughtful responses - I took them to heart and I've decided to stick with Gordon. After sleeping on the idea of giving him up, I realized that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I definitely do think the most recent incident was triggered by him licking his wound. Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you!

I'm glad. smile.gif Gordon sounds like a typical greyhound learning to adjust to a whole new world. FWIW, my first greyhound growled at me when I went to hug him one night within the first few months I had him. In fact, I think he did it twice (he had a stoopid owner brick.gifblush.gif) I mumbled under my breath how disappointed I was that this happened - he watched me the whole time I was walking around muttering & I will swear to you, he never growled again. It was like we just needed to have a little conversation. Plus also, I didn't approach him on his bed for a very, very long time. rolleyes.gif

The vast majority of greyhounds are so very adaptable but it takes them a little while to get everything figured out in their minds. I'm glad you're going to give Gordon that time. Keep working on all the things you've been doing, making sure he has lots of fun & exercise. If you can get him around other hounds (fun run, picnics, scheduled walks with other hound owners), that will help him see that he isn't the last hound standing. We walk with a group of other hounds every week & see so many shy/snarky/uncertain new hounds come out of their shells even with just that hour a week that I know how important it is for the recently retired.

Best wishes for you & Gordon (greyt name). Hope we'll see some pictures soon.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Great!

Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

I'm going to admit I thought about returning George at one point--he was howling for hours and hours on end and I lived in a condo. He was also peeing in the house, had "happy tail" (bleeding tail that kept busting open) and it was a bit of a nightmare!

Releasing him from the crate fixed the howling, and eventually the right cocktail of drugs cured the peeing (for a while anyway! but that's another story!) and four years later, I've very grateful for the help my group gave me in those very difficult early days.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm so glad. Give him a chance, I'm sure given time he will come around. We were all new greyhound owners at one time and I guarantee you we all made mistakes, but we learn from every one we make and we have this site to help us through the rough times. Always feel free to ask questions, there's always someone on here who can help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He is indeed a very handsome dog and I'm really pleased you were able to gain the determination to give him your very best shot from the encouragement given here on this board. Remember too that Greyhounds are still dogs and speak dog body language. What helped my spooky Peggy enormously was Calming Signals - you can actually 'speak' with them to the dog too... please see Turid Rugass's article here

Let me just say that I viewed taking on a nervous 'spook' after just losing a heart dog ( and returning a Grey before it bonded after 2 weeks with prey-drive issues in-between) as quite a major challennge. However when the brave little things finally see the penny drop and start to make it in the human world, it makes your heart swell with pride. My Peggy may never become a dog that likes being hugged and stuff like that, but she's sleeping on my feet as I type this. She's made it and secured her forever home.

Edited by JohnF

He is a gorgeous boy. If you are able to work through his issues he could be the best thing that will ever happen in your life! They really are amazing dogs.

june

Guest burgerandfrey

That's a complex question. Assuming someone has decided that a greyhound is generally the right dog for them, some rescues can do more than others as far as matching dogs to owners. Our local rescue will introduce each rescue to other breeds of dogs (including small dogs), cats, and children in controlled environments to see if they react. It's not a perfect method for determining whether a greyhound will be safe with cats and small dogs or good with children, but it's a start.

My wife and I had our first greyhound for ten years, and we currently have two that have been with us for a couple of years. Each of them has a distinct personality, different energy levels, etc. When we adopted our current hounds, we met a number of dogs in the turn-out yard of the rescue. In both cases the dogs picked us (we took the first one we adopted to meet the second one as well). It takes time to really figure out the personalities, but the longer a dog is at a rescue the more the staff and volunteers of that rescue will know about the personality, likes, dislikes, etc. Do you want a dog that likes to play fetch or that plays well with other dogs? They will probably know that. Do you want one that already walks well on a leash? They will probably know that as well. Up to a point anyway. Some people volunteer at a rescue before adopting, which is one way to get to know the dogs. Of course a rescue will take back a dog if it just doesn't work out, but in most cases they would rather help you work through any issues you are having.

My experience though... any number of dogs can be a great match, but you have to give it time for a relationship to develop. Our boy has the same sleep or dog-bed aggression issues as your grey. When we first adopted him he would have done the same thing - growling and snapping, if we approached his bed or tried to move him from where he was sleeping. He also did not like being stared at from a close distance. Dogs often consider that to be a challenge. He has always been very clear about what his boundaries are, and as long as we gave him space he was very sweet to us. As time went on we began to sit down next to his bed for brief moments, gently petting him. The reason was because we wanted him to feel he could trust us and that he was in a safe place. We ask guests to leave him be when he is on his bed, but we also know from experience that guests ignore such warnings so that is why we worked to calm his reaction. Fortunately Zeke no longer growls or snaps even when a stranger approaches his bed, but we still ask guests to respect his space. If he wants you to pet him he will get up and come to you (and he often does since he loves attention from guests).

I would also add that this is very common. Not all greys will be territorial or sleep aggressive, but some are. I wouldn't recommend letting such a dog sleep in your bed. Our previous grey slept in our bed for years, but then she got annoyed by our movements :P Out of the two we have now... neither gets to sleep in our bed. Zeke doesn't get to sleep with us because he might snap if one of us rolls over and into him. Lola doesn't get to sleep with us because she gets up and turns around too much!

I just want to stress though: Just because you can't let a dog sleep in your bed, or you can't approach his or her bed, doesn't mean you can't have a great relationship together. We even let Zeke cuddle up next to us on the sofa and he sticks to both of us like Velcro. We just learned that we must use verbal commands to make him get down off the sofa or bed (he no longer tries to get on the bed). You definitely want to use a verbal command rather than trying to push a dog off the furniture... especially with a dog that has already snapped at you. Six months makes a big difference in how comfortable a dog becomes in their new home, and as time goes on that comfort and that trust should continue to grow.

Edited by burgerandfrey

I definitely do think the most recent incident was triggered by him licking his wound.

FWIW, I have a gentle (with people), zero-space-aggression greyhound. He Does Not Like being examined or vetted when lying down, or interrupted when he's tending an ouchie. If I want to do something like that, I get him up on his feet and/or slip on his basket muzzle. He isn't a snapper but he gets that trapped look, and I don't want to beg the question.

Best luck going forward with your very handsome pup!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest firegypsy

I'm so glad you're keeping him! It can be a tough transition, but it sounds like he's as lucky to have you as you are to have him. The space aggression can be tough. My 5 year old was bit in the face by my grey because he went to pet her when she was sleep (she has bad dreams and significant sleep aggression.) She was mortified when she realized what happened. It wasn't bad, just a scratch, but it really wasn't at all her fault. It was a good learning moment for all of us and luckily everyone was safe. She is a sweetheart, but you do have to respect them and understand they may have certain "issues." ;)

best of luck!

The other even bigger issue for me is his lack of playfulness, excitement, affection, and in general not much of a companion thus far. I understand it takes time, and every dog is different.

I joke that Sammi (my grey) is a 78 pound cat. She loves to sleep as much as one! lol Most greys seem to also be large house cats in canine costumes. Sammi is loving, affectionate, and a goofball. She is my shadow, a velcro dog. I've gotten goosed by that needle nose more times than I can remember. I've forgotten what it is like to have the couch to myself. She is very in tune with my emotions and the emotions of others she deems part of her pack. When my Mother passed away, she glued herself to my father when we would be at his house. If he came close to breaking down, she would immediately come up to him and press his hand, or lean into him, and remain there as he petted her until he was calm again.

But I wanted to respond to let you know that Sammi took forever to become that affectionate, couch hogging goofball, and jsut as long to play. When we brought her home, she was described as the Serial Stuffy Killer. So I bought her tons of toys. And she didn't play with them.

Not a one.

I even let her go to the store with me to pick out her own. Nadda. About 3 months later, I was in the kitchen and heard a SQUEAK!!! from the living room. :blink: Peek around the corner and Sammi had picked a toy from her toy-box and was slowly starting to play with it. When she saw me watching, she stopped. This went on for a few weeks~ She would play, but stop if she caught me watching. Then she progressed to allowing me to watch. After a few weeks of that, I tried to play with her. At first, she stopped, thinking I was taking the toy away from her. Then she caught on that I was playing with her. Almost a year later, she came to the point that if I was on the computer and not paying attention, I would have a toy whiz by my head (or hit the back of my head <_< )

We've recently moved, and so it's a whole new place to learn, roommates to get used to, and she is more reserved again. She plays up in our bedroom, but not around anyone else. My roommate understands, and almost burst at the seams to tell me the other morning that Sammi chattered her teeth at her! :wub:

We also want to put down more rugs because the main level of the house is smooth hardwood and she slips when she gets going, we think is also another part of her more reserved behavior, because she is pretty affectionate with everyone. (And demands attention from anyone in the household) I also want to build a ramp to my loft bed because for 5 years she has slept next to me and now she cannot. She cries and then lays down either on the overstuffed chair next to the loft (was trying to use it to help her get up and down) or across the room where she can see me, but she is Not. Happy. about not being able to sleep with me. A few times, I have taken naps on my roommate's bed, or sleep on my son's bed, so that Sammi can cuddle.

As for hugging, only a very few people can truly hug Sammi without her stiffening up or other body language that shows she's tolerating it. And those people are my son and I. Her pack. But it wasn't an overnight thing. My son only in the past year, and we've had her for over 5, has been able to hug her and her lean in to hug back (body leans in, head over his shoulder resting on it, body relaxed). Took me, her velcro, about 2 years to do that.

Yes, this is something that is viewed by most dogs as aggressive behavior. So is leaning over them, especially when they are laying down. Your typical family dog, raised from 8 wks old in the household, will tolerate, or even accept this behavior right off the bat because usually they are taught by humans how to be dogs. Racing greyhounds stay with their litter-mates a looooong time in dog-time and then are at racing kennels, so they are mostly taught how to be dogs by dogs. The best way I was able to get it across to my roommate's 11 yr old DD is to take a video of their huskies play fighting. (A spectator sport for Sammi :lol ) I then played the video and froze it when the older one gained dominance by bringing the younger upstart down. She had her front paws around her neck and her muzzle pressed in to her neck as well. I asked her "where are your arms in a hug? where is your face?" She doesn't try to hug Sammi anymore and actually is very careful hugging the other 2, now that she is picking my brain on dog body language and realizes that standing stiff, averting the head, etc... show signs of discomfort with her affections.

It does take time for many greys to blossom into what you've seen caught on camera in the Cute & Funny posts section. I used to dream of that stuff. I was also fearful I had the wrong dog. I was crestfallen that mine didn't want to play, that she didn't want to cuddle. But slowly, I started having my own Cute & Funny posts as Sammi started opening up.

Looking back at the journal I kept & the emails between Sammi's foster mom, I don't even recognize the grey I have today.

I am very Happy to see that you are keeping him! I think in the long run after a lot of patience I know you will def. be happy!!!!!! :wub: :wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter