How Well Do Grey's Climb

Guest Ummon

So after lots of thought I think I am going to fence in my yard so Ace can play. Its not the kind of fence where he could run around unsupervised but while we are out playing with him it should be fine. I plan on using welded wire. Now here is my dilemma. On one side of my property is a 4 food rock wall which should be fine. The Back part and the other side part of the property must be fenced in. Not a problem. Now when it comes to the front I am thinking I might not even need a fence. Sans for two places. from the back yard to the front is a hill probably a 75% to 85% grade. I really don't think he could climb up (or would for that matter). Ground cover is ivy so its not like trying to climb up a grassy slope. Plus there is a three foot rock wall to first get over. Any thoughts?

They can climb like mountain goats. Seriously. I'd continue your fence.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A lady just posted about her grey jumping an 8 foot fence! :eek

Greyhounds can't jump high! Oh no wait. They can.

5079652923_e34d6b2891.jpg

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

A motivated dog can get over just about anything, and greyhounds get motivated very easily. I don't even leave mine out in the completely fenced yard unsupervised. If your using welded wire, make sure you get at least four feet high, nd not the more common three foot height.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I wouldn't consider the 4 foot walled portion safe either, honestly, having seen my dog (who was 7 at the time) leap through the back WINDOW of my SUV while the tailgate was up. He didn't even touch the vehicle. They can jump just fine, and they can climb too! I don't think 4 feet would take a ton of effort--specially a wall that he could get his front legs up and steady and just hop on over.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have to agree with Susan. I know some groups (as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong) say that a 4-ft fence is okay and that this is as low as a fence should be, but I would be nervous with anything lower than a 5-ft fence.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I wouldn't consider the 4 foot walled portion safe either, honestly, having seen my dog (who was 7 at the time) leap through the back WINDOW of my SUV while the tailgate was up. He didn't even touch the vehicle. They can jump just fine, and they can climb too! I don't think 4 feet would take a ton of effort--specially a wall that he could get his front legs up and steady and just hop on over.

I wouldn't consider it safe, either. My loft bed is over 4 feet off the ground. Add in me lying on my side... Sammmi jumped well over 5 feet since she cleared me. I wouldn't even be designing/building a ramp for her, except for the fact the jump down scared the daylights out of us both.

They easily jump a low fence and will be on your 4ft rock wall without a second thought. I just fenced Peggy out of a part of the backyard I reseeded, with a low wire fence and posts and she's over that after those darned hedgehgogs (yes there's another of them about half the size of the first (see earlier post :headwall .

Fence the whole lot 6ft high. You could put hinges on certain panels for ease of access. Paint the fence to suit the local decor. The only plant that keeps Peggy back is the big purple Berberis with long thorns... keeps me back too.

In my adult life I've had 4 dogs. All big. 2 greyhounds, 1 doberman, 1 great dane. None of them have ever tried to jump a 4' fence.

Yes, some dogs will try and succeed in getting over a 4', or a 5' or even a 6' fence. T and Abby can easily clear our fence if they wanted to. Abby will jump from about 14 feet back and clears the steps to the deck with ease - ground to the deck is 3.5 feet. But she has never tried to go over our fence. Not all dogs, even if they can do the jump, will.

Guest KennelMom

We've had....oh....at least 200 or so greyhounds through our property, including 30 of our own. One of ours has jumped the four foot fence....(twice). They all could probably do it, most just don't try. We had one foster that could climb the 7 or so foot chain link crates in the kennel...I kept finding her snoozing on the sofa down there. She never tried to go over the fence in the yard, but obviously she could have....it's all about motivation

Edited by KennelMom

We've had....oh....at least 200 or so greyhounds through our property, including 30 of our own. One of ours has jumped the four foot fence....(twice). They all could probably do it, most just don't try. We had one foster that could climb the 7 or so foot chain link crates in the kennel...I kept finding her snoozing on the sofa down there. She never tried to go over the fence in the yard, but obviously she could have....it's all about motivation

Yes, that's true. All dogs CAN, many dogs won't.

My folks had a rather short fence around there yard on Nantucket. Not even four feet. The only dog that ever jumped it was my mixed breed, when he was a puppy 'cause he was following the family! And that dog could JUMP. Easily cleared six foot fences with great glee! Their unneutered English Setter, who might easily have gotten the urge to roam, never jumped it, and George never tried either!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We have a small portion of 4' chain link, and the rest is 5'high, 2" x 4" welded steel.

Of the 8 dogs we've had over the years, only one...Billie Jean, the GSDx... has ever attempted to get out over any of it.

She would put her front paws on the top rail of the chain link fence, and then 'climb' out over it, by putting her hind paws into the chain links.

She only ever did it to follow me somewhere.

None of the 3 Dobes ever tried. Nixon has never tried either.

They just were too lazy and unmotivated.

We've only had Ruby for a week, but she has not been jumpin at the fecne at all...we are however, keeping a very close eye on her and she is not left out alone.

You won't know if your hound is motivated to get out until you leave him loose and it's much better to be safe than sorry!

I'd fence in the entire yard in 5' welded.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the dog. I know for a fact that Diana can jump over 5 ft. up from a dead standstill - I've seen her do it to grab a bird well above my head while she was just standing beside me. She didn't even put a great deal of effort into it. But she's never once considered challenging our 4 Ft. welded wire fence. We've never had our other grey or any of the fosters consider going over the fence, either. But - we also don't let dogs out in the yard when we're not home. Unsupervised, yes, but not when we're not home.

If it's not a big issue and you could go either way, sure, fence more and don't worry about it. If it's a big issue - don't fence that part and supervise until you know for sure.

No plan is fail-safe. Just make an informed choice that makes sense for you and your dog. :)

Edited by sobesmom

Spinner once got loose and jumped a 4' fence into and then again out of a neighbor's yard. Zippy touched noses with a 'possum on top of our 6' fence. If your guy sees a critter to chase, even if you are out there with him, a 4' fence may not be enough to keep him from going up and over and away really, really fast.

As for climbing, I've found mine climbing around in our large, easily 4' compost pile. Better safe than sorry--but a lot depends on your individual dog's behavior.