Probiotics

Which ones are best? Are they given daily? Do you add them to their food?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We've been using the Vetri Probiotic chews and they seem to be working really well for Merlin :). As I recall, the recommendation was to start with two chews daily and then taper down to one a day for maintenance. Merlin now gets one each day after his evening meal - he *loves* it and thinks it's a special treat.

Our vet also highly recommends FortiFlora, but it's rather expensive (about twice the price of the Vetri chews). My understanding is that whichever supplement you choose, it's best if it contains at least one billion CFU (colony-forming units, or live microorganisms) per dose.

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

I have been using Prozyme for a few years now. You can get it on several pet med sites at very good prices. It is a powder.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest IrskasMom

I inquiered yesterday with a Friend who is very Knowledgeable in Holistic Food etc. She advised me to get Ultimate Flora (Adult ) :huh:huh:huh

i compared the lables on floriforta and what i could get locally at the vitamin shoppe. i buy their probiotic 10, and have good results. when something is funky i give 2 per meal, reduce to 1 per meal, eventually 1 every other day. it's the entercocc...what ever that is that dogs ulitlize and most generic probiotics are lacking. i just cut the enteric capsule open and sprinkle on food.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2164

Edited by cleptogrey

I have been using Prozyme for a few years now. You can get it on several pet med sites at very good prices. It is a powder.

Prozyme is digestive enzymes, which is something totally different than probiotics. The only thing they have in common is that both are related to digestion.

My vet used to recommend Fortiflora, but has switched to a newer probiotic, Proviable, which he says he's seen excellent results from. It's quite expensive though.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Watch the ingredients on the probiotics if your hounds have allergies or if you're picky about food.

FortiFlora's #1 ingredient is "Animal Digest."

Fastrack doesn't have any animal byproducts, but the powder does contain whey and the gel has egg. Not a concern for most dogs.

Me and the dogs use Primal Defense. Has worked very very well at preventing upset during antibiotic treatment etc. Otherwise I just give every now and then unless they are under stress then more often. Vet reccommends Acidopholus Pearls.

Guest AmberStar47988

I've been using BeneBac powder for a few years. It's from the makers of Esbilac and KMR. Inexpensive, no-frills packaging. I keep the four-pack of single use tubes or the 15 gram tube of the gel on hand for trips, especially to Dewey Beach. BeneBac has done wonders for my Whippet mix with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.

I started using Fortiflora recently for Arlie, as my vet thought she was showing early signs of IBD. It is expensive but it has made a huge difference for the better.

I second this. I've given Wendy FortiFlora almost since day one for the paint-peeling poots she came to me with and the stuff is miraculous. I buy it from http://entirelypets.ecomm-search.com/search?query=fortiflora.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I use Protexin Synbiotic D-C when mine are on antibiotics. It's the one the vet prescribed for Sid when he had colitis while on Clindamycin, but you can buy it online.

Edited to add: Yes, you give them daily, and add them to the food. :)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We use Proviable here, but I work at a vet & get a discount, so it's not cost prohibative for me.

It works great for Skeeter, the bullet-proof mutt; runny poo, about 3 days of one-a-day sprinkle caps

puts him right. Desi is a little more sensitive & usually has to have a few days of Metro, as well.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

we also use vetri probiotic a lil expensive but it works..the flora stuff never worked for lexie. i give her one a day and she thinks it is a snack..u dont even need to add to the food

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Swifthounds

You're better off going with the refrigerated kind in the grocer, health, or vitamin store. The powders and such are far less effective. And human one sold refrigerated are better for carnivores anyway. The ones marketed for dogs actually target digestion of vegetation, since that's normally the issue.

I may be way off :youcrazy:wave , but how about good ol' yogurt!? I give Chance some on his breakfast and he loves it. Started with whole milk plain but he had massive gas! :mum He does well with low-fat and it has tons of probiotics! A lot cheaper too. Just my :2c .... it's refundable haha.

• 3 months later...
Guest greysmitten

I may be way off :youcrazy:wave , but how about good ol' yogurt!? I give Chance some on his breakfast and he loves it. Started with whole milk plain but he had massive gas! :mum He does well with low-fat and it has tons of probiotics! A lot cheaper too. Just my :2c .... it's refundable haha.

I've been looking into probiotics and digestive aids for my girl lately and I, too, am confused. I have given her plain yogurt in her food many times and wondered if that was enough. Thoughts?

FYI: Prozyme is offering a free sample here (you have to pay $6 for shipping), but it's good for the US only.

Guest mcsheltie

There aren't many probiotics in yogurt. Many don't contain the healthy bacteria they claim and are more like processed desserts. Add to that, nothing is standardized. If you or your dog really need them there aren't enough to do much good.

You are best off by getting a brand that guarantees 10 billion to the expiration date. One brand I know works is sold by Monica Segal. I have taken them myself after antibiotics and they fixed me right up!

We've been using the Vetri Probiotic chews and they seem to be working really well for Merlin :). As I recall, the recommendation was to start with two chews daily and then taper down to one a day for maintenance. Merlin now gets one each day after his evening meal - he *loves* it and thinks it's a special treat.

I give Henry the same thing. I also give him the Vetri calming treats for new situations. Love both of them.