Help! Sick Greyhound On A Sunday!

Guest fatesrelease

Guest fatesrelease

Sarah has been completely fine and normal until today. Her poops have been solid and formed. She's been pooping, peeing and eating normally.

Today I went to work and came home early because I've been sick with a head cold. When Jonathan and I got home we immediately smelled poop. Her crate, and bedding were covered in diarrhea. So we take her out and start cleaning up. We put her in the bedroom so we could make sure she wouldn't try to go into the dirty blankets. We go into the bedroom to get her and there are piles of diarrhea all over the floor (Or so we thought). I then saw her throw up in front of me three big piles. All the same consistency and smell as the diarrhea. I left work and arrived home at 11:30 ish....hoping to get some sleep in since I wasn't feeling well. I've had to watch her this entire time. She has only gone about 30 minutes between the diarrhea and vomiting. She is also drooling a lot and panting even though we have the AC and fans on. I called the emergency vet and explained everything in great detail. They provided me no help and basically told me it would be better for me to wait and get her into my primary vet tomorrow....but the only problem is I can't go 30 min without her vomiting or exploding all over the place....it looks like pee now coming out it's so watery.

Plus, the last time she vomited it was a mix of the poo looking vomit, bile, and this time red blood.

I'm really worried about her, but the vet said it would be a wait and they didn't seem to be very optimistic about knowing what is wrong with her.

I just know we can't go off to work tomorrow and leave her in the crate all day till we can get home and take her to the vet.

We are planning on doing the whole chicken and rice thing. She just hasn't been able to even keep water down.

I've already gone through three toilet paper rolls cleaning up after her... She must have vomited at least 15 times and had diarrhea 5. :(

Thanks,

Christine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever heard of something warranting a trip to an emergency vet, this would be it. Go NOW. Do NOT feed her or give her water. It could be something like acute pancreatitis which is a life-threatening emergency (yet can be ruled in or out with a quick in-house blood test). This is an ACUTE situation.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Christine, for whatever it's worth, I would try to find another evet - or push the issue further with them. If she continues at this rate - without holding water down, she will dehydrate quickly. Hopefully the cause isn't serious, but the side results could be if she doesn't get care. I can't believe they didn't say they needed to see her. Not to be an alarmist - but it sounds like she needs immediate help - partiularly since you don't know exactly how many hours this has been going on.

Many good wishes for you.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest fatesrelease

The only problem is the vet that I spoke to is the GOOD vet. The other e-vet is HORRIBLE.

They said that she wouldn't be seen right away because they have a long wait.

Thank you for the advice. I'm just worried. :( I appreciate the quick responses.

I'd take her to the e-vet, too - now. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow. I'd also take her to a different e-vet than the one who gave you lame advice.

YES!! Hope you're on your way, if she vomited that many times she's dehydrated. Wishing you much luck

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Get her to the e-vet. She needs fluids. She'll dehydrate and then she'll be in the vet's for days. We just went through this with Jilly Bean and Gee not too long ago. She needs anti nausea meds and fluids.

Edited to say: By the time we got Jilly Bean to the e-vet at 8:00 she was severely dehydrated and she's a terrier.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would still take her in. They may have given you the advice they did over the phone because (despite your explination) they thought you might be over-reacting. If you take her in, they can see that she needs some attention. Even if the vet can't see her right away, they can put her on fluids. :bighug

Guest cindy

We've been through this too! A mere 48 hours after we adopted Broadway. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and I hope Sarah makes a full recovery!

I hope the OP is at the e-vet or on their way by now, but just wanted to add this... I'm wondering if the person on the phone who said she didn't need to be seen was actually the vet, or the clinic receptionist? Especially if it was so busy that they're saying it will be a long wait, I would bet that it wasn't the vet on the phone. If it was the receptionist, and you do end up taking her to that e-vet, I'd suggest mentioning to the vet that the front desk staff told you not to come...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I can't believe they told you to wait until tomorrow to bring her in. I would be taking her to the e-vet and not wait as others have said. Let them clean up after she vomits a few times on their waiting room floor and they may take it a little more seriously. At the very least I would think anti-nausea meds and I.V. fluids would be in order to prevent dehydration. Sending lots of healing thoughts her way.

Vomit smelling like poop could be that 1: she ate poop and it came back up with the poop or 2: there's some kind of blockage. The blood part worries me but it could be her throat/colon is so very irritated now.

I agree with the others - go to the vet now. And if she makes a mess in the lobby watch how fast they'll move.

There's a med called Cerenia that is often given to slow down these violent vomitings. Usually they start with an injection, then you can do pills at home. They might give her flagyl too.

Most important is keeping her hydrated.

Is there anything she might have gotten in to?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hope the OP is at the e-vet or on their way by now, but just wanted to add this... I'm wondering if the person on the phone who said she didn't need to be seen was actually the vet, or the clinic receptionist? Especially if it was so busy that they're saying it will be a long wait, I would bet that it wasn't the vet on the phone. If it was the receptionist, and you do end up taking her to that e-vet, I'd suggest mentioning to the vet that the front desk staff told you not to come...

Good point! I didn't think of that!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Christine, I'm only just seeing this! :ohno Poor Sarah! Which e-vet did you call? The ones on Warren Ave? I am appalled that they encouraged you not to bring her in after you described those symptoms.

Appalled :angryfire

Have you tried calling the Maine Veterinary Referral Center in Scarborough? It's in the Enterprise Business Park off Route 1.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You have my cell. And please update us when you can. Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I agree with what everyone has said about getting her to the vet's whether they have a waiting list or not. Also work out where the next nearest vet operating an E service might be. See if you can get some Pedialyte into her or second best Gatorade. She needs to be on a drip, stool needs to be tested.

I'm thinking partial blockage and/or coccidia.

I hope there is some better news soon.

Guest happygrey

Christine, I'm only just seeing this! :ohno Poor Sarah! Which e-vet did you call? The ones on Warren Ave? I am appalled that they encouraged you not to bring her in after you described those symptoms.

Appalled :angryfire

Have you tried calling the Maine Veterinary Referral Center in Scarborough? It's in the Enterprise Business Park off Route 1.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You have my cell. And please update us when you can. Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

I'm glad there's another so close. I was just going to suggest coming further south or maybe even to Portsmouth.

Fingers crossed that you've gotten her to a good e-vet already.

Just seeing this now. If necessary, we have a wonderful e-vet clinic in Portsmouth, NH. It's located just off of I-95. They are highly respected and have treated greyhounds (ours included). It may take 45 min to an hour to get there from Portland but they will do their best for your girl. A possibility if you don't go to Scarborough.

All my good thoughts will be with you. It's very frightening to see your pup looking so ill.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Just checking in for an update... :( Hopefully the fact that several hours have elapsed since Christine's last post means that she and Jonathan are at the e-vet with Sarah. Let's hope they don't have to wait hours to be seen.

Sending lots more good thoughts. :goodluck:candle:goodluck

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Lynnada

I'm hoping you got to the evet and Sarah gets seen quickly. I hope they give her some supportive care, at least IV fluids while you wait. Let us know what happens and all the best. :grouphug

Sending prayers for Sarah! This actually made me sick to my stomach. I can only pray she has been seen and is receiving the care she so desperately needs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest fatesrelease

Hi everyone....this was a trying day. Just got back from the vets office. They gave her a bunch of fluids and they are keeping her overnight for observation. They said she had a few levels that were elevated that they want my primary care vet to look at, but her highest and most consistent levels said she was dehydrated-which I knew. Hopefully nothing too serious is wrong, but I feel better now knowing she has some fluids in her and shes being monitored. She hasn't vomited since we brought her there. I hate not having her home and I miss her already, but I'll be picking her up in the AM and bringing her to see the regular vet.

Thank you all for your support! It made me feel good to know I could come here and ask for some advice when I was desperate and worried.