Harold's Mystery Illness

Diane, by elevated protein, what kind of numbers are you seeing? Is Harold's "2+" number horrible?

Going back a lot of years here :lol At one point, SieSie, Shadow & Heart had normal BUN and creatine numbers and were 2+ and I think one was 3+ in protein. They were all healthy. We did a BUN/creatine ratio (I think -- is that the test one does?) on one and it was normal so we dismissed the protein in the urine.

I asked the vet if her testing equipment was correct :rolleyes: , explored the possibility of Fresh Factors making a difference (which she didn't think that was it), etc., etc.,

As you may remember, Shadow lived to 14+ SieSie 13+ and Heart 14 3/4. Funny how Shadow & SieSie come up today (they went to the bridge together on 6/30/03)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

GEEZ :( :( :( :( poor guy!!! :(

glad you found out what it was!!!! I've heard good things about honey and I think? it's supposed to be "raw" honey. I hope it helps! sending many hugs!!!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Here's a progression of photos. I wish I'd taken one when the vet removed the first dressing. Boy, was that tissue black!

023-2.jpg

022-1.jpg <---7/14 005-2.jpg <---7/16 after first dressing change 017.jpg <--- 7/17

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

So happy he's doing better.....and extremely happy that he found you to care for him and love him after what seems like a less-than-desirable past.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Lynnada

It's looking good, well, compared to how it had been. So glad he's doing better and it didn't turn out to be really serious. :colgate

Guest LindsaySF

Glad he's on the mend from the bite. :)

Chase is leaking protein into her urine, vet suspects GN. She's on aspirin and we'll likely be adding Enalapril. I've found some helpful threads here on GT through searching.

Hope he is continuing to heal!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope he is continuing to heal!

With today's dressing change, the tissue still looks healthy. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Harold... But I am very happy to see he is feeluing better.... :kiss2

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest IrskasMom

What a scare Ducky . I am glad Harold is feeling better and at least you know the Culprit of this "Mystery " now. Hugs to Harold and to you Ducky for taken such good Care of Harold :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

The dressing change today was done at the vet's office. No necrotic tissue, only healthy pink tissue now. No swelling.

The rest of the appointment was a bit amusing. You'll have to go here to read about it.

tiny hada siggy.png

BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER!!!!! :eek

THEY ARE EVEN NASTIER THAN BLACK WIDOWS....i know since my daughter was bit by something on the nape of her neck at age 14. first it looked like the bite of a brown recluse, but the surgeon confirmed it was a black widow when i brought her in to have it debreed. the description of side effects of the brown recluse are intense and scarey!

Guest arlosmom

Just saw this and am so sorry Harold has had to deal with all this. I am very glad he is feeling better. Haven't talked to you in ages.

Here's a progression of photos. I wish I'd taken one when the vet removed the first dressing. Boy, was that tissue black!

023-2.jpg

022-1.jpg <---7/14 005-2.jpg <---7/16 after first dressing change 017.jpg <--- 7/17

Harold's progress continues:

003-1.jpg<--- 7/25 006-2.jpg<-- 7/25 008.jpg<-- 7/31

Not bad for 2.5 weeks. :colgate He's nearly finished with one antibiotic, Cipro and has another week on the Cephalexin.

We've put a dab of Manuka honey on with each dressing. Today he is only wearing the sock, no dressing, to let it really get some air.

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad to hear he's doing so much better...his leg looks good. I'm sure you're happy too. :kiss2 for sweet Harold

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Wow! What an improvement! Yay, Harold!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead