Bella

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding Bella in my prayers, and hoping the symptoms resolve quickly. :hope Scary stuff... :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending prayers for Bella! My husband has had bouts of vestibular issues so I know how confused she must be.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

How is Bella doing this evening? Hope you all have a restful night and that tomorrow morning brings continued improvement. On the afternoon of the 4th day of recovery Hobbes decided it was time to chase a squirrel and took off at a trot. It was a beautiful sight to behold. May Bella soon be chasing squirrels!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending lots of good thoughts for Miss Bella and hopes that she's back to normal very soon :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

No real improvements at all. Pretty much the same.

She's resting well and will start to move around so I know she wants to stand up.

I go over to help her by bending over and basically placing one hand between her front legs on her chest and the other in her tuck area with my body up against her side to supply her complete body support.

If she tries to take a step her whole body will shake and tremble and basically just freak out.

But I am glad that she is letting me know when she wants up so I can change her location and position and at the same time get her hind end cleaned up and then clean up the beds that she is laying on.

It's quite the job to clean up her hind end because if you let her go for one moment she thinks she can go somewhere and will just about take a nose dive :( I just keep the towels and water near by for quick clean up.

No pooping yet just pee.

She's drinking like a champ every time I carry the water to her. She only vomited once so I'm thinking that's pretty dang good.

I did pop her a Dramamine just a bit ago to help her rest well through the night as she is often up and wandering around until around midnight or so. So hope that helps her rest as well as reduces a bit of the dizziness she's feeling.

Eyes are still darting like crazy, still a head tilt but she does seem to be able to get comfortable a lot faster.

Here's hoping tomorrow brings along some improvements :goodluck

and again thank you all for the thoughts, emails, prayers, calls and all the rest of the kind words.

Vomiting once is good. She must feel so nauseous. If the dramamine doesn't work you can try Gravol. Good luck and keep us posted, OK?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ah, the poor girl. It's got to be upsetting for you to see her like this. I have to echo other's thoughts, and hope that it is vestibular (it does sound like it), and it improves soon. We had a similar episode with Lacey, our first Grey, when she was about 10. It scared the crap out of us because we'd just put our little Pit Bull to sleep, and thought maybe the two were connected. The vet assured us that they weren't. Lacey's eyes were twitching too, which we'd never seen before. It took her a while, but she did get back to normal.

Gentle hugs to your sweet girl. Let her know she has a ton of fans out there, hoping she feels better.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Valor, my galgo had vestibular disease when he was 11, it was very scary. The vet gave him Cerenia for nausea and valium to keep him quiet and help him to relax. Meds were very helpful, he had an exceptionally bad case of it. Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Linda, Bella and Keeva

Checking in on you and sweet girl this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If Bella is having trouble standing, you might try wrapping a towel around her stomach and using that to help hold her up. My Betty just went through something like this and the vet said they used this technique in the morning to help her go outside and go potty. (I had taken her to the emergency vet and left her overnight for observation).

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

Hope she is better this morning. With Meeka, the head tilt was the last to go. That took a few days. I have a harness with a wide chest piece on the front. I used that to move her after the first night. I could grab the top of the harness like the handle on a suitcase and support her side against my leg so she could feel a little more steady.

Meeka had been at the vet at 5pm for her first visit. I had her about two weeks. She checked out fine. She didn't eat her dinner, but I figured she was just stressed from the vet, At 7pm I found her rocking back and forth on the dog bed. I helped her outside. She was able to stand to pee but fell over several times and walked sideways. By the time I got her in the house she was walking into walls. Within a few minutes she couldn't get up at all and her head was tilted to one side. I thought it was a stroke and took her to the evet. I held her to pee when we got home around midnight and carried her in. I settled her on a dog bed with blankets around it and locked the other four dogs out of the room. She was able to walk with the harness for support the next day. Hope Bella is much better this morning.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Morning report in on Bella

Bella rested well through the night. I slept on the couch while Bella rested comfortably on a dog bed in the living room. Got up about every hour to check on her and she was zonked out so that was good.

This morning she seems to be able to track better with her eyes. When Kevin entered or left the room she would pop her head up and watch him come or go. So that is different from yesterday and good news.

She does seem a slightly bit more stable but still unable to take any steps forward and will fall if released. Right now when I'm moving her I'm trying to help her just take one step forward. She still wants to push back and well her hind end is not the strongest even when she didn't have this issue going on.

Still doing well on drinking water and staying hydrated. No interest in food yet but I think I'll pop her another Dramamine and then give it a few hours and offer her some of her favorites and see if that works.

I'm not horribly worried about her not eating anything right now. I know personally I would have no interest in food if I felt like her.

So no real great strides or improvements this morning. But the day is still young and we are just slightly over 24hrs (29 hrs) since the whole VS started. So still staying positive and not totally freaking out, or trying my best not to ;)

Oh about the sling/towel. I've tried a few times with the towel trick and at this point it's just not working. She tends to tip/tilt forward and with the towel there is no support on the front part of her chest to keep her upright. I'm sure I could just hoist her up with the towel when she goes to fall but then it takes her feet off the ground and that freaks her out most of all.

Thanks again all and keep those thoughts and prayer rolling for my old gal. I know at her age (14) this may take longer to pass but we are in it for the long haul and if she can get better, well the old lady doesn't give up and neither does her momma.

All paws crossed here for Miss Bella.

Just got the latest issue of CG Magazine yesterday and enjoyed your article about her.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest KennelMom

Thank for the update. I was really hoping she'd be feeling a lot better this morning...but, I'll happily take ANY improvement! With Champ, we pretty much picked him up, carried him outside and set him down. He'd pee/poop right where we set him down and then we'd pick him up to carry him back in. When VS was at it's worst, I'm not sure a sling would have really helped. Once he started getting up on his own, then we'd just carry him outside (we have stairs on the back deck) and let him wander as much as he wanted to.

Well a little improvement is better than no improvement. Hopefully today she improves a lot!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am glad to hear she is doing a little better. I think you are right, at her age it may take her longer to recover. I wondered if a harness like they have for cars, or one for boats, that have a larger chest piece, might help?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4092374

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3046157

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753794

At 14, Bella very likely will take a bit longer to bounce back. Good advice given to me was there would be slow improvement each day in baby steps. I think Hobbes had just turned 12 when he had his first event so he may have been able to recover a little faster.

Lots of good wishes for Bella to feel better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy