Chase Has A Bad Uti

Guest LindsaySF

Guest Swifthounds

Have you considered keeping her at home crated away from the others and on an IV and just doing the injections yourself or taking her in daily for them? You hospitalize a dog for fluids only for vet/owner convenience or because the owner can't/won't do it at home. I think you could more than handle the IV and she would be less stressed.

Did you take one of her blankies or stuffies from home, so she has familiar smells in there?

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Sending hugs to you both in the midst of this dilemma. Old age is not for sissies, as they say. :(

As a really out-there alternative, taking into consideration her age and overall health, what about the idea of taking her home, treating her with Chinese herbs and/or homeopathics, and seeing what her body can do for itself. Maybe, and I know we all hate to think of this, but maybe her body is just getting towards the end of it's working life, and she just needs loving support 'til she lets go of it? Please ignore me if - and you know best, being with her - she's not ready for this. Just throwing it into the mix.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

If this were me any my Gracie girl (who hates the vet so so so much) I think I'd still leave her there. It would break my heart 1,000 times over. But I do think it would be best for her and while I'd be more than willing to do the IV at home, I'd still want it done at the vet's office. And I'd maybe request a few more trips outide as well.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Prayers for sweet Chase and hugs for you Lindsay. I'd tough it out and keep her at the vet's. Regardless of whether you could or would do what she medically needs at home - the reality is that you're an hour away from the vet. many prayers coming.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest LindsaySF

I left 2 blankets and a pair of pajamas with Chase when I dropped her off. As well as 4 little ziploc baggies of her favorite treats and a bunch of canned food to tempt her to eat.

Lindsay, each day she is there, she will get more comfortable. The first day or so would have been the worst. And since it looks like she's doing well, I think she would just improve.

That's what I'm hoping. I don't want to pull the plug too soon, and stress her even more by moving her around. If the vet were closer to me I think I would just keep her home, but that's a heck of a drive to do twice a day for 10 days, hence my dilemma.

So I have some good news. :) Chase ate some kibble at the vet! :yay They are still syringe-feeding her, but on two occasions she has eaten some kibble. They have a scale of 1 to 5 on how well the dog eats. The tech I spoke to told me that on one occasion it was a 4, and another time was a 3. Not bad for her.

I heard from the vet this morning too. They repeated her bloodwork and her kidney values have improved. :) (Creatinine is now 2.2, was 2.3. BUN is now 17, was 44). Because of the treatment or because of the IV fluids, I'm not sure. Either way I'm glad to hear it! The vet sounded pleasantly surprised. The creatinine doesn't worry me (Isn't up to 2.4 considered "normal" in a Greyhound?) but the BUN does. She has also had protein in her urine before, but I forgot to ask about protein today.

~Lindsay~

Best news I've heard all day.

Keep it up, Chase, sweetie!

P.S. You don't worry too much about some elevation in creatinine in a greyhound. BUN should be @ within range for normal dogs tho. So something is doing her good :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my goodness, I missed this thread completely :(

I am sooooo glad Chase is eating some kibble! Hopefully she will become more and more comfortable and won't need to be syringe-fed soon.

I am keeping her in my thoughts and sending a ton of good thoughts and hugs your way. :goodluck:candle:grouphug:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Continued good thoughts for Chase!!! What a fighter.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

sending many prayers for the sweet Miss Chase :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greytbookert

I've been thinking about Chase all weekend. It was good to read that she ate a bit at the vet's office, so it sounds like she getting used to the hustle and bustle of the hospital. I'll keep you both in my thoughts!

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry for being AWOL everyone. Too busy!

Chase seems to be doing well at the vet. She's been eating some food on her own, in addition to the syringe-feeding, so that's good. And her kidney values today are the same as last week, so the Amikacin doesn't seem to be hurting her kidneys at all. :)

She was originally supposed to come home this weekend (10 days of the Amikacin), but the vet wants to keep her for a full 14 days now, to make sure we kill the bacteria for good. I'm hoping she'll come home on Thursday. It depends on her bloodwork and urinalysis. I expect her to have lost a few pounds, hopefully not much, but we'll put that back on her. I'm sure she misses my cooking. rolleyes.gif

The one thing that makes me sad is that Chase's 14th birthday is tomorrow (May 22), and she's not home for it. :( We'll celebrate it when she gets home. I miss her very much.

Mary Pat, Chase is still a foster, but I don't think it's fair to move her at her age, it would have to be a very special home. Same with Sophie, I would adopt them both if I could afford their medical care, but with 7 of my own dogs (and 2 cats and a rabbit) I can't.

~Lindsay~

I'm glad to hear Chase is settling in at the vet's, but sorry that she has to stay longer. Well, this will all fall behind her and be forgotten. Especially at her age. Or maybe I'm projecting! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest eaglflyt

Awesome news for you and Chase. I'm hoping her last few days at the vet go quickly and that her infection is totally cleared.

Scritches for the sweet girl. :wub:

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Lindsay, I just wanted to thank you for taking such wonderful care of Chase and Sophie. After everything Chase has been through, the stability and love you give is just what she needs.

glad to hear she's doing so well! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 2 weeks later...