Possible Osteo

I've posted a lot over the last fews days about Milky Way.

Saturday -a small limp, nothing major, but we we did get into and out of the car and attend a fundraiser so I figured he may have just over done it esp with his back.

Sunday he could not get up and his back leg didn't work.

Monday off to vets who examined him all over and felt it was spinal swelling from his back arthritis, one of his back legs is pretty weak , front leg no pain, small limp still there but possibly because it's the opposite leg from his back weak one and he was putting lots of weight on it, lots of meds couple injections of steroids and ordered rest.

Tuesday morning- front wrist was a little swollen,still a slight limnp but back legs are working

Tuesday night- Front wrist is VERY swollen and tender (looks just like the photo of Alex that was posted a few weeks ago), painful and no longer putting weight on it

Today- Vet appoitnment with x-rays. There is a small spot on the outer wrist. The vet is calling in a board certified radiologist for confirmation. I'm supposed to hear back this afternoon. :cry1

Even though I'm not a big poster, I've been on GT for along time, since 2004. I've always read the posts and seen the photos when I saw his wrist last night I got a lump in my throat and felt like I was going to throw up. Right now I'm in the computer room, his room, we are just hanging out and waiting for the phone to ring.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Thinking of you and Milky Way today........... :goodluck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thinking of you and your family. Cancer just sucks.

(Lots of info in the osteo thread if you need it.)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is the swelling firm or does it feel like soft tissue swelling?? With a recent history of other leg lameness I wonder if he has possibly something else going on--- immune mediated perhaps?

Edied to add--- fingers crossed for Milky Way-- the waiting is so hard.

Edited by tbhounds

I dearly hope it's not what you think it may be. We will be here with you no matter what the dianosis.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just got the call and the radiologist said he does not think it's osteo.

However, we can't celebrate just yet as there is something going on. Radiologist said his wrist just does not look right but it does not look like osteo either. So we are not out of the woods. We will continue on with the cocktail of meds and Milky Way will be re-checked on Tuesday. Until then it's rest, rest, rest.

Edited by kickchick2000

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can send the x-rays to OSU and they will give you a second opinion really quickly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The leg swelling continues, we are headed back to the vet.

How do I go about sending the x-rays to Dr. Couto for second opinion??? I just found his site on his greyhound wellness program do I simply send them a consultation requst??

The leg swelling continues, we are headed back to the vet.

How do I go about sending the x-rays to Dr. Couto for second opinion??? I just found his site on his greyhound wellness program do I simply send them a consultation requst??

Just seeing this now. My fingers are crossed for you and Milky Way. Our Alex went fast (just over 2 weeks from spotting the wrist and noticing limping). Hoping that it's not osteo! Keep us posted.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

UPDATE: New twist on the whole thing.

So we just got back from our 3rd visit this week. Our vet has been speaking to some of the vets at NC State University's vet school including their head radiologist (who determined he did not have osteo).

We are slowly ruling things out but new things are appearing which is making the whole process very difficult. Below is a breakdown

Saturday- minor front wrist limp, just thought we overdid it

Sunday- weird back leg spasm, he's got back arthritis so we've had that before

Monday PM- can't walk, 1st vet visit, steroid injections for the back to reduce the swelling, start prednisone, and pain meds

Tuesday- wrist limp is back, back leg and back issue resolved

Wednesday AM- wrist is now swollen, X-ray is done, results show arthritis and possible weird spot on bone, but also some kind of swelling, my vet wants a second opinion so he contacted the Veterinary Radiology Professor at NC States Vet school for a second opinion. Radiologist says NO way it's bone cancer but there is some pretty serious arthritis in his wrist and he is confident that is the issue but he is also concerned about the swelling. So my vet switches us to rimadyl from prednisone.

Thursday- Swelling around the wrist is still present and appears to be spreading

Friday- AM off to the vet again as the swelling is now his toes and now above the wrist( Edema) but there is also a new problem, there is now a red raised irritated area on the back of his paw near his wrist. The vet calls in the other vets who all examine it and say it looks like something poisonous bit him. (all these vets are very knowledgeable and have 20-30 years experience). They also all agree that the symptoms are also consistent with some kids of soft tissue cancer except he weird red area which really looked to them like a poisonous bite. So we are now treating for a poisonous bite and trying to get the swelling down. If that does not work then the only left over option is some kind of soft tissue cancer near his wrist.

:( Really hope you can get to the bottom of things for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.