Post-Op Complication - Gracie

Gracie had her toe amputated yesterday, plus 2 other small growths removed. She was pretty wonky from the sedation when we got home. Vet said that was the morphine. She's had tramadol and a valium.

She had a fairly good night, but as she walks she holds her tail like she has to poop. Vet said she had diarrhea when they lifted her off the table. She's had some runny poop and a very almost firm poopettes since she's been home. Even the little bit of walking around in the house she holds her tail like she has to go.

She does not appear to be in pain but I was to continue the tramadol. She has done well on tramadol in the past.

This morning a front foot was swollen. This was from the vet wrap holding her catheter in place. That was to be removed tomorrow with her dressing change.

I couldn't let her foot keep swelling so I removed the dressing. The catheter popped out and blood squirted everywhere.

I had gauze ready and applied pressure, put vet wrap on it and resumed the hand pressure. That dressing has not bled through so we're OK.

But why is she doing the poop walk in the house when she doesn't have to go? It's like she has the urge but there's nothing left to come out.

I'm staying home from work today. If she was to bleed out while I was gone I'd never forgive myself. And I can't lose a second dog in 2 days. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:candle:hope Don't blame you a bit for staying home. Sending healing thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

OK sweet Gracie - come on doll - turn that corner to total recovery. No advise Ducky. Just hugs.

Oh - maybe the meds are upsetting her tummy and she's feeling queasy. Your little lady may just not be able to bear the thought of soiling her tail. wub.gif

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest greybookends

Ducky! First this is for you :grouphug and this is for Gracie :kiss2 .I do not know what to tell you that you do not already know but I pray that all goes well today.

Edited by greybookends

Guest Swifthounds

:grouphug for you

The tail posture might just be from her discomfort after the diarrhea. It could also be some lingering discomfort from having been on a metal surgical table, especially if they had to do some manipulating of the legs for a good position from the amputation.

Was it a front toe or a rear one? Aggravation of those nerve endings at the base of the spine can cause tail lifting.

When Comet had his toe amp, he had surgery around 9 am and stayed overnight, pretty heavily medicated and on the IV, so I don't have an exact comparison. I chose to let him stay because it didn't stress him (he was briefly a blood donor at an animal hospital where he was fussed over, so he has good feelings about the vet). When I visited he was like a drunken sailor, and not from the anesthesia. They sent him home with Tramadol (which I've had better luck with than other pain meds) and gabapentin, which did a very good job. If she's showing any signs of distress, maybe ask about something additional for pain?

I don't blame you for staying home. I would too, for both of you.

no advice :( just many hugs and prayers going out to you and Gracie! :hope :hope :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ducky, Sending you a lot of :grouphug :grouphug Sorry I have no advise but I am sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Gracie! :hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm actually very surprised they sent her home with a cathater still in place. Even with Dude's amp they had it out and bandaged before he went home to make sure he wasn't bleeding from the site. Use some warm compresses on that leg around the site to keep the blood moving through there and keep the swelling down.

Have you "checked" unde her tail? Sometimes there will be a hair or something "caught" in place that makes them lift their tail. Also, if she had some diarhea it might be irritated and stingy. Or there might be a slight abrasion. Some Bag Balm would probably calm things down if that's the case.

Hugs to you and Gracie!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Gracie is no longer walking with her tail in the about-to-poop position. Her hiney did have died diarrhea around it but she wouldn't let me clean it until a few hours ago.

The front foot where the catheter was now looks much better. She has tried to scratch her ear that was biopsied while I wasn't home for a few hours. There's no dressing on it and you can barely tell anything was done expect that the ugly thing is gone.

She hasn't needed any more valium and I gave her 50mg tramadol a bit ahead of schedule. She'll hop outside to potty but I can see she is thinking about how she wants to move.

I'm just so glad that I stayed home from work with her today and that the front foot isn't swollen any more.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This picture was taken this morning. She looks better now. Oh those poor weepy eyes. :(

012.jpg

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad to hear that Gracie is feeling a bit better. Sending hugs to you, Ducky, and to your sweet girl.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Swifthounds

Awww...she's precious. Made me sniffle a little when I noticed her amp was on the same foot as Comet's.

So glad she's doing better.